Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   1st time to Costa Rica (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/1st-time-to-costa-rica-478042/)

thundermustard Oct 2nd, 2004 03:17 PM

1st time to Costa Rica

We're thinking about going to Costa Rica in February for 7-9 days, but have no idea what to see. We're not big on laying on the beach, but enjoy the scenery, waterfalls, hiking. Is it possible to see most of the country in this time frame and I guess a rental car is mandatory?? We though of maybe staying in the middle of the country as our base and trying to see it all with day trips from there. I would love suggestions from all of you knowledgeable travelers. Thanks for any info you can provide!
Lisa

shillmac Oct 2nd, 2004 03:25 PM

Definitely base yourselves in the center of the country for a few days as there is so much of what you have mentioned to see and do in this area. La Paz Waterfall Gardens, Arenal Volcano for nighttime lava shows, Tabacon Hot Springs--near Arenal, Poas Volcano and its crater, the Rio Sarapiqui area, coffee plantations, beautiful little towns such as Sarchi, Grecia, Zarcero etc. If you want more of the same-- with nice beaches (just for 3 days or so)--, head down to Manuel Antonio National Park. You don't have to lay out on them to enjoy the spectacular sunsets and see lots of wildlife in the national park that stretches along the beaches of Manuel Antonio. For the first timer to CR, this combination is hard to beat!

If you like high adrenaline activity, you would enjoy the Pacuare white water rafting day trip out of San Jose.

Jessie_ Oct 2nd, 2004 06:41 PM

As far as seeing most of Costa Rica in 7-9 days....I have been traveling down there for many years and still haven't seen it all although I am trying.
A few days based in San Jose will let you see a small part of the country by taking a day trip or two. I would definitely get away from the city for a few days at least to really appreciate the wonderful nature and the people. You will be able to explore another small amount of the country from a second base.

shillmac Oct 2nd, 2004 07:41 PM

Jessie is absolutely correct in that you will be able to see only a small part of all there is in 7-9 days. The best you can do is get a feel for what Costa Rica has to offer. To experience it all would take a good deal more time! Distances that appear short on the map (and are) often require drive times that would prohibit day trips. And once in an area, you'll want to do more than just see. You'll want a few days to relax and enjoy your surroundings. There are easily 12-15 (more depending on how you look at it) areas that are worthy of anywhere from 2-5 days--each offering something different in climate, landscape/vegetation, wildlife, etc. Amazing place!

thundermustard Oct 3rd, 2004 10:19 AM

Wow!! Thanks for the info. It'll give me an idea of where to start planning. From what I've gleaned so far---2 days in Arenal, 2-3 days in Monteverde seem to be must do's. I've heard a little bit about zip lining in the Monteverde forest...anyone know more about that??? Sounds thrilling!!
My big question is transportation. We've always traveled using either mass transportation (of which I understand there is none in CR) or rented our own car. I'm hearing that this might not be the best idea. Is a private driver the way to go?? Or is driving around ourselves doable?? We've done some driving in foriegn countries and traveled in Hawaii by rental car on some pretty rough roads so that isn't neccesarily a deterent. What's your opinion on the drive thing??
And has anyone ever used CostaRicanTrails to plan their vacations? Any comments on them?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice,
Lisa

shillmac Oct 3rd, 2004 10:50 AM

Costa Rica has an extensive transportation system that includes both public buses and mini van transfer companies as well as some other systems I am not acquainted with (Fantasy Bus, Costa Rica Transfers,etc). Public buses are great if you don't mind spending a little extra time in travel and have your things in a backpack to better protect against theft! Interbus is a mini van transfer service that offers transfers between all the major locations for $30-$40 per person depending on distance and time. Interbusonline.com will tell you everything you need to know about using this service. It is safe, reliable, comfortable, and convenient.

Many people prefer to hire a private driver and you can search for information on this site by entering "private driver". Others prefer the flexibility of renting and traveling at one's own pace. My husband and I prefer renting a vehicle and consider our travels through Costa Rica by this method great adventure! We always have a good time taking ourselves here and there. So much depends on your personal preferences.

If you want to include 3 locations (Arenal, Monteverde, Manuel Antonio beaches, for example) in your itinerary, you definitely need 9 days. In 7 days, you should try to do no more than 2 of these areas.

February will be a great time to visit. Happy planning!