17 days CR to much fun Trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who participates in these boards. I got alot of good info. We just got back (6 of us) from a wonderful trip. We flew into Liberia rented a 4x4 from Dollar Rent a Car and preceded to drive around for 12 of those days. We stayed at the Paradisus Playa Conchal, Tabacon Resort,Marriott Los Suenos, Airport Marriott and ended our stay at La Paloma Resort in Drake.If anyone has any questions on any of those places feel free to email me or just ask..We also flew home out of San Jose.. A few things I do want to point out from my observations..The LIberia airport was wonderful to fly into as we breezed through everything..The roads are nowhere as bad as they are made out to be..We drove from liberia to Playa Conchal to Arenal to San Ramon to Jaco to Quepos and back to SJ with no problems and I only made 2 minor wrong turns..Also I see alot of questions about rain during the green season..During our time there (July 8-25) rain was only an issue once..We drove down to MA and we didn't get there until 1:30 and it started to rain pretty consistant on us..This was our fault for getting such a late start.

Pura Vida
Rick
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 01:48 PM

Hi Rick, great to hear your trip went awesome! My question is about the buffet at Tabacon. I've read a few different postings on here & other message boards. Some have said its $10 per person & others have said its $20 per person. People have said it is a good buffet, just wondering if you tried it?
What does Tabacon provide to keep your stuff in while using the Hot Springs? Since everyone is in bathing suits! And are these lockers (or whatever it is) really secure for passports, cameras etc.? Did you do the hike near the volcano (Arenal)?

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 02:43 PM

HI Rick-
Thanks for the report! How long was your drive from Playa Conchal to Arenal? How was Tabacon, in terms of quality? I am pregnant (and will be when I go to CR in Sept!) so I am glad to hear that the roads aren't that bad! Is it obvious where to pay your departure tax when you arrived at Liberia to fly home? Thanks again! Sarah
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Flufftails--We did eat the buffet at the Hot Springs but for the life of me I can't remember the cost, but I think it's closer to $20. The food was ok nothing to write home about but not bad either.The spa has lockers to rent as well as towels. We stayed at the resort so we got into the springs for free as well as got towels and the lockers free as well. I don't remeber them costing much though(couple $).We didn't hike to the volcanoe but the first evening we were there the sky was clear and we watched the eruptions and the lava flowing down the mountain..Very Cool.The coolest thing we did there was a repeling adventure down the waterfalls..A must if you like a little adventure..Hope the info helps.

Rick
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Sarah--It's about 1 1/2 hours back to liberia and another 4 hours plus to Tabacon.The only slow part on the drive was from Tilaron to Arenal. That part you want to drive during daylight hours because of the potholes. The Hotel was nice (similiar to a nice Holiday Inn).One big advantage to staying at the resort is that you get into the spa for free (19 per person otherwise)and it stays open until ten so you can do what you want during the day have a nice dinner in La Furtuna come back to your room and spend the evening at the spa after the crowds are gone..The spa is fantastic at night and every evening it was almost empty. One thing though I noticed about the rooms were the inroom safes aren't connected to anything, just on a shelf so store your valuables in the hotel safe.We flew out of San Jose so I couldn't tell you about the departure tax location in Liberia, But it was well marked in San Jose. The airport in Liberia is very small when we landed ours was the only plane there, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Hope that helps.
Rick
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:39 AM

Thanks, Rick!
Sarah
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:31 AM

rbpartman:

Where did you do the repeling and what was the company that you used?

Thanks

Jim