Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   17 & 18 year olds Spring Break? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/17-and-18-year-olds-spring-break-1466740/)

Pookyface Aug 20th, 2017 03:17 PM

17 & 18 year olds Spring Break?

I am sure I know what most people will say, but I still need some reinforcement. My daughter and 5 friends want to go to Sayulita Mexico for spring hreak (grade 12) ). One set of parents will also be there, BUT they will be in a different resort and only check in on them a few times a day. So far only 2 sets of parents have said yes to this. The rest of us are not so sure. These are very good girls, and we trust them, but can't trust other people. Comments ?

MichelleY Aug 20th, 2017 08:02 PM

No way unless the parents were in an adjoining room.

SambaChula Aug 21st, 2017 03:36 AM

Not at that age, essentially unchaperoned.

Rohelio Aug 21st, 2017 04:25 AM

Not a good idea...Sayulita, is full of back packers, young crowd looking to party...

MmePerdu Aug 21st, 2017 05:43 AM

When I can't make up my mind I ask myself "what's the worst that can happen?" In this case the worst would be greatly magnified by being in another country. The details of the worst are beside the point.

Look at the statistics for drivers that age and even "good" teens have poor judgement compared to older drivers. That would, I assume, apply also to dropping them into an unfamiliar environment. Have good judgement and keep them north of the border.

pookymimi Aug 21st, 2017 05:48 AM

One word NEVER

janisj Aug 21st, 2017 05:53 AM

horrible idea

suze Aug 21st, 2017 09:03 AM

My concern isn't supervision.

You need to read up on Sayulita. They have been having ongoing problems with visitors getting sick there.

Everyone here is jumping on the teenagers &/or scared of Mexico band wagon on this thread.

That is not the #1 concern for anyone visiting Sayulita at this time.

suze Aug 21st, 2017 09:03 AM

This has zero to do with "trusting other people".

Stewbear Aug 21st, 2017 09:42 AM

Possibly the worst choice ever.

MichelleY Aug 21st, 2017 12:59 PM

This has nothing to do with being afraid of Mexico. The chaperones for the trip need to be next door, not at a different resort. This would be the case anywhere if it were my daughter.

suze Aug 21st, 2017 01:07 PM

<nothing to do with being afraid of Mexico>

Then what does can't trust other people mean?

janisj Aug 21st, 2017 01:41 PM

<nothing to do with being afraid of Mexico>

>>Then what does can't trust other people mean?<<

That would apply equally to Daytona Beach or Waikiki - or Seattle for that matter ;) . . . I see nowhere the OP said anything against Mexico. But whether it would be a good idea for 17 & 18 yo's should be doing this.

suze Aug 21st, 2017 01:48 PM

They would be "checked on a few times a day". Even if the chaperones were at the same resort would they be expected to have eyes on the girls 24/7?

As far as "or Seattle for that matter" wink wink, some 18 year olds live on their own without parental supervision at that age, or backpack around Europe with a friend, or whatever.

MmePerdu Aug 21st, 2017 01:56 PM

I'm an Airbnb host. I occasionally host young women. One on her own is always a perfect guest. Two together they seem to lose all semblance of behavior their parents would be proud of. It's my guess they haven't yet gotten a grip on walking & chewing gum at the same time, as the saying goes. They seem not to be able to behave well and also have fun, so they always opt for fun. I'm not talking about 1 or 2 groups, but every group of 2 young women under about 25. I'm pretty sure more than 2 will mean losing even more of their good sense.

I can only speak for my own experience and that's been my experience. I cannot turn them down but I pray I don't get any more, no doubt it will be in vain.

MmePerdu Aug 21st, 2017 02:09 PM

And by the way, I lived on my own and supported myself from the age of 18. I got a job in Europe at 20. But I never, ever, went anywhere in a pack and it's the pack mentality that I think is the danger, not the place they choose to go.

suze Aug 21st, 2017 02:11 PM

I said "backpack" not go in a pack!

MmePerdu Aug 21st, 2017 02:15 PM

I said pack, not backpack. Unrelated to backpack or other luggage.

Pookyface Aug 21st, 2017 08:18 PM

Thank you for your comments. Trip is cancelled, and I feel much better.