Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   12 days available - what to do in Central or South America? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/12-days-available-what-to-do-in-central-or-south-america-874573/)

Junejuly Jan 21st, 2011 11:54 AM

12 days available - what to do in Central or South America?

Hello! I'm a 36 year old who would like some sunshine, culture, and adventure traveling with my 62 year old, active mother. I have 12 days to do whatever you recommend! I am fluent in Spanish and lived in Mexico for 4years, have been to Costa Rica and Peru already, and can afford about $2000 for the land portion of where ever we go. Was considering the amazon and Rio but don't know if it's too rainy - have the end of February open for travel.
Thank you in advance!

volcanogirl Jan 21st, 2011 12:06 PM

We really liked Belize. You can do a split between the jungle and beach areas. We did the Cayo District and Ambergris. There are ruins, hiking, caving and things like that along with beautiful water and great snorkeling.

hopefulist Jan 21st, 2011 12:07 PM

I'd pick Guatemala! Lots of photos, blogs, and travelogues below if you're interested. Happy trails!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

mlgb Jan 21st, 2011 12:29 PM

End of February is supposed to be a great time for Amazon if you can manage the heat/humidity (and don't have a fear of bugs). If adventurous how about an Ecuador trip with a beach/volcano/jungle combo?

It's high water which means easier access to tributaries, higher water levels mean you are closer to the canopy (and wildlife) and you may find wildlife more concentrated on high ground. Hiking is difficult so chose a lodge that has direct boat access and doesn't require tromping along a trail.

qwovadis Jan 22nd, 2011 06:11 AM

CA best weather in Feb... of the countries

Belize best beach jungle ruins have a look at a combo of

www.robertsgrove.com

www.cavesbranch.com

www.cozycorner-belize.com

and the Cayes based on budget and time

WAY too much rain in Amazon no sun not beachy

www.weather2travel.com Climate Guides will help you a lot.

www.guanguiltagua.com Ecuador great but no white beaches

except in the Galapagos not the best time for them but ok.

As long as you can live without superwhite beaches

Ecuador is the most ecodense places there I like...

www.haciendapinsaqui.com

www.bellavistacloudforest.com

www.hosteriamandala.info

www.huaorani.com for best jungle experience

got good discounts over 30% there recently with

Guanguiltagua.... more adventurous than Belize

but Belize wins hands down for best beaches and scuba.

Happy Hunting,

mlgb Jan 22nd, 2011 08:08 AM

February is high water in the Amazon because of the snow melt, not the rain...

ttraveler Jan 22nd, 2011 03:13 PM

How about Honduras. You could start in Copan and go to the ruins, the macaw park and do an over night at Finca el Cisne. The finca is a distance out of Copan and it's a wonderful overnight trip to really see the culture of Honduras. You can hike and horseback ride, have wonderful meals and visit the coffee and cardamon farm.

When we were in Copan we stayed at La Casa de Cafe, Finca Cisne and Hacienda San Lucas.

After Copan you can go to the jungle in Ceiba. We stayed at Omega Jungle Lodge which was great for us but your Mom may enjoy a lodge nearby. The offer great hikes, horseback rides ect..

You can then take the ferry from Ceiba over to Roatan for your beach part of your trip. It's so beautiful and you can snorkle right from the shore. We stayed on the West Bay at West Bay Lodge. It's not on the beach but a close walk.

I also love Guatemala.. so that would also be a top choice for me. Wherever you choose I am sure you will have a great time.

hopefulist Jan 22nd, 2011 04:31 PM

Yep, Honduras is wonderful, too; more photos and information at my link above if you're interested.

Junejuly Jan 22nd, 2011 05:12 PM

These are wonderful suggestions... I can't thank you enough!