10 teen girls - what not to miss in Mexico City?

Old Apr 27th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 teen girls - what not to miss in Mexico City?

Greetings--I'm taking 10 teens (between 13 and 16) to Cuernavaca this summer to the Girl Guide center. During our week at Cabana, we will see Tepotzlan and possibly Taxco, as well as Cuernavaca. We will add two days on to explore Mexico City. (I've been before) I know we will go out and climb the pyramids, but by this time they won't need to be taken to the big restaurant for the buffet lunch and "Aztec show" or (obviously) see the pulque demonstration. What other not-miss attractions might be on the list? Floating Gardens? Ballet Folklorico? Restaurants that could handle a party of 12,be mid-range in price (this will be at the end of our trip) and yet entertaining? Thanks Fodorites!
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Do not miss the Bazar del Sabado in San Angel. It is held only on Saturdays. It is great people watching and strolling and there is well made and some inexpensive stuff to buy. There are lots of restaurants there too. One in particular, I will look for the name, serves an outstanding breakfast. It is old and with white and blue tiles on the walls with two women in front making fresh tortillas. Just great.

Also, Cafe Tacuba, near the Plaza Mayor, is a very colonial and beautiful restaurant that should be able to take all of you. Good food, not too expensive and fun. The enchiladas suizas are well known there. Also, tour the Plaza Mayor and all it has to offer.

Have fun. Mexico City is a great destination.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

tengohambre--thanks for all of your suggestions. Keep 'em coming!
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

I've only travled to Mex in the Spring--guess it could be raining during our time in June/early July? After rain experience in CR this past April, I'm thinking ponchos rather than rain gear. Anyone?
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the restaurant suggestions on my other thread--now a question--we have been quoted $256US for the following tours:
Day 1: (transfer from Cuernavaca)City Tour, dinner & show at Focolare
Day 2: Pyramids (rest) Ballet Folklorico
Day 3: Xochimilco & transfer to airport
I know we could get to some of these places from our lodging, but I think my parents would prefer that we are 'managed' and safe. How much would you tip? I figure it's just easier to up the fee to $275 to include the tip, yes? No?
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:23 AM

The girls will get to change clothes after the pyramids during the rest periods, I presume?

$25 per person, more or less, for those tours, sounds okay to me.
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Yes, there is a rest break/get dressed up period between activities. I think the fact we will be traveling in one vehicle with driver and a guide will be more reassuring to the parents.
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:36 AM

With my tour of the pyramids, which was quite comprehensive just for that part, I also got to see the shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe, the Plaza des tres culturas, and an artisanal shop, all on the way to the pyramids. So my concern with the pyramids day is if you are only going to see the pyramids, you might be able to find an option that offers more places.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

I didn't put in all of the details, but yes, we will see Shrine of Guadalupe/Basilica, Zocalo and Templo Mayor, Museums, too. Parent feedback has been supportive of the cost. Thanks everyone for the great recommendations!