Search

10 days- what not to miss?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Wendy

10 days- what not to miss?

We are going to be in Costa Rica for our honeymoon at the end of March. We'll be there for 10 days only!! We're not renting a car. <BR>We have 6 places we are interested in seeing but know we have to cut places out. <BR>Which places make the most sense and/or are the best? <BR> <BR>Manuel Antonio <BR>Osa Peninsula <BR>Arenal Volcano <BR>Monteverde <BR>Montezuma <BR>Punta Islta (Carrillo) <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Ally

Wendy, <BR>To answer your question it would help if we knew what YOU want on your honeymoon. Do you want quiet places? Nightlife? Lot's of wildlife? <BR>I assume since your not renting a car, you'll be taking a bus? If so, you may want to cross Osa off your list. It would just take too much of your precious time to get there. However, if you can fly, that would be fine. <BR>Let us know what you're looking for and we can help more.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 06:42 AM
wendy

We will try to fly as many places as we can. We may consider hiring a driver in some places, if possible? We want to experience it all; the rainforests, wilderness adventures, romantic places, fun places (nightlife), quiet spots. We're open to it all!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:21 AM
Ally

Well, now that you've answered the question of what you're looking for, it's STILL hard to decide what's best! <BR>Let me say this. Punta Islta is beautiful, but not much to do there as compared to other places. You'd feel very isolated.Montezuma is a fun little 'hippee' artist town, but not the most beautiful beaches and not that easy to get to. <BR>I'd go for Osa for very laid back scene with the most spectacular wildlife, Manuel Antonio for fun, nightlife and the beautiful beach and park, and if you still had time, Arenal for the volcano and hot springs. Even if you can't see the cone of the volcano (which is highly possible as it's usually in the clouds) it's still possible to see the lava flow at night and it's awesome. Tobacan Hot Springs is about $17 to get in, but well worth it if you get there early enough to enjoy it all day/night. This is just my opinion after 7 trips to CR. I hope you get more ideas from others.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 06:31 AM
wendy

Ally, thanks for your opinion. Do you think we're silly for not renting a car? I feel a little nervous, even though I've heard it's very safe there? Have you heard of people hiring a driver and flying to all other spots?

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 09:50 AM
Ally

Yes, I've heard of people hiring drivers and flying, and so far have not heard any bad reports doing so...and no, you're not crazy! It's your honeymoon, so you DO want to be 'comfortable'!' The first time I went to Costa Rica, we flew to Nosara for a week. We also flew to Osa,(on a different trip) as we didn't want to waste so much time driving there (it's a long way) but the other 5 trips have all been driving. Yes, it's safe. That's not the problem. The problem lies in the roads and signage! You do have to be flexable and expect to get lost at least once, as SOME of the roads are 'washboard' and the signage is awful, if not completely nonexistant depending on where you're going! We love renting a car and 'going at our own pace, when and where we want, but for your first trip to CR, and being on your honeymoon to boot, I think flying/hiring a driver would be a good idea for you, unless you want an 'adventure' honeymoon, then go for it. As I said, it's quite safe if you use common sense! But if you do decide to rent a car, cross Osa off the list, and possibly Monteverde and Montezuma as well. In my opinion, those areas would not be worth the 'stress' of doing it yourself. Do it sometime, but save it for an anniversary! Oh, I assume you know that all the flights in CR will be little puddle jumpers? HA! That's sometimes an adventure in itself! I know you'll have a fabulous time, what ever you decide!

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 12:25 PM
David

You didn't mention your budget so that also makes it difficult. First things first. Did you know that it gets dark in CR at 6 pm and sunrise is at 6 am? The first and last days can be a wash depending on your flight arrival and departure times (what are they from your city - a travel agent could tell you). The point to point distances aren't as important as the driving time (slow-27 MPH on average). Tuesday or Wednesday arrivals are cheaper, and you can get your banking done bbefore the weekend. I try to get to the bank first thing to change travellers' checks into colones. VISA works with the big hotels ut that is all I count on. I budget my expenditures as closely as possible because I loose money buying & selling. I find that it feels like you loose a day everytime you make a move. I think it is the hassle-factor (stressful). I think your agenda needs to be pared down and more focused. Ex: A classic tour might be Day 1: San Jose/central valley; Day 2&3: LaFortuna; Day 4: Around Lake Arenal to Monteverde (you can make this a more pleasant trip by spending a night on the lake); Days 5&6: Monteverde; Days 7&8 Stay at the beach: (Punta Islita maybe); and Day 9: Return to San Jose; Day 10: Get to the airport at least 2 hours before flight and don't forget to have enough $$$ left to pay the exit fee. Here are some sites that might help you develop a workable plan and budget: www.costaricabureau.com (check out day tours from San Jose..can save you money and time - the orchids are in full bloom at Lankaster Gardens in March); www.monteverdeinfo.com; and www.maqbeach .com. Be good to yourselves and have a happy honeymoon.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 01:34 PM
wendy

Thanks for all the info Ally and David!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 09:15 AM
Beth

Wendy, <BR> <BR>My husband and I were in Costa Rica the summer of 2000. We had pre-arranged a driver to pick us up and take us to our next desinations. We did this through Costa Rica Connection, www.crconnect.com they are out of California, and they did an excellent job of helping us put together our trip. They also planned our friend's honeymoon to Costa Rica. I would recommend Osa, Monteverde, Manual Antonio and Tortuegero. Good luck