10 Days March Costa Rica Family Trip

Sep 9th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

10 Days March Costa Rica Family Trip

Hi! I need some advice for our March trip to Costa Rica. My husband and I will be traveling with our 11 year old twins. They are pretty active, love animals (sloths especially) and adventure. We will be there for 10 days flying in and out of Liberia. Our first 4 days we are staying with some friends near Tamarindo. We then have 3 nights reserved at a Treehouse near the Arenal Volcano/La Fortuna where we plan to explore and be adventurous. My question is what do you recommend for the other 3 days...we had thought about Monteverde but not sure if that is more of the "same" type of activities. Should we stay in Arenal area, explore Monteverde, head to Manuel Antonio??? I always have a desire to see as much as possible but I also want to make sure we immerse ourselves and enjoy the locations we are at without feeling rushed around. Thanks!!
Sep 10th, 2019, 01:51 AM

You'll definitely want to visit the Bogarin Trail while you're in the Arenal area. That's a fantastic place to see sloths that's owned by a local family. Their trails are flat and easy, and the brothers that own it act as guides. You can also see red-eyed tree frogs, poison dart frogs, caimans, and some nice birds. We love the Manuel Antonio area; it's one of the best places to see sloths and monkeys. We saw them at the property where we stayed, Tulemar Bungalows and in the national park. Manuel Antonio Expeditions is good for tours. And you can stop at the Rio Tarcoles to see the huge crocs down below the bridge. It's not really convenient to Liberia though; most people who go to MA fly in and out of San Jose. Just about everything you could do in Monteverde is available in the Arenal area except Monteverde is the cloud forest and gets really cold at night; we had to wear sweatshirts and fleece jackets there. It's good for hiking and birding but having been we haven't felt a strong desire to go back. Arenal just has more to offer like the volcano, all the adventure activities, boating tours like Cano Negro and Penas Blancas, plus natural hot springs like Tabacon and Eco Termales. Manuel Antonio is very popular with young families; if you're okay with going back to Liberia from there it's a great spot. It will be more lush and green than the northern Guanacaste beaches.
Sep 10th, 2019, 12:15 PM

Since you are flying home from Liberia, I would skip MA. You would eat up too much time getting back to Liberia. Look at Playa Conchal, Samara, Nosara or some where on the coast closer to Liberia.