10 Day trip to CR - What's a MUST?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2004, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a 10 day trip to CR at the end of June with 6 people. Is it really possible to see Arenal, La Fortuna, Monteverde, Manuel Antonio and Corcovado in 10 Days?? Doesn't seem like it. I just can't decide what to cut out. It all seems so amazing.

Thoughts, help please
Ann
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 12:21 PM

Dear Ann,
I have never been to Corcovado, but it is a place I would like to know. I have already said it a few times here, and I feel bad for saying it again, but I am not a big fan of Monteverde. I just think it is not worth the hassle on these short trips most people have when they come to CR (7-9 nights). You can find many mixed trip reports and reviews on Monteverde, but almost all agree that you need at least 2 nights there, and even then, you will only have one full day of Monteverde itself (as the drive to and form Monteverde is long and tiring). Having said that, some may say that you will get a lot of the same things if you go both to Corcovado and to MA, although in MA you will have more options in terms of restaurants etc., so that is also something to consider.
I also recommend you look up an old post called "some thoughts about planning a trip to Costa Rica" which you may find helpful at this preliminary stage of your trip.
I would perhaps compliment your trip with a couple of days in the Central valley, which usually work very well with most itineraries (in terms of driving, and also because of flight schedules).
Please feel free to write me directly for any more information or with any more questions. I will gladly help.
Pura Vida,
Neta Talmor
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 03:18 PM

It is beginning to seem that Ally and I are the only ones that still like Monteverde/Santa Elena.
It is a place that you need a little longer for but only because there are so many great things to see and do. It is well worth the time to me. I love the sense of community up there as well as the artisan feel to it. The nature is the big draw but there is so much more. I have been there four times and each time has given me a greater appreciation.
I think you need to dig within yourself to figure out what is really important to you on a first trip down there. I say first because so many people can't wait to go back and as someone just recently said, it was a discovery trip, and for the first time they will return to a country for a second visit. 12 years ago we thought we were just planning a nice trip and went to Arenal, Monteverde, Manuel Antonio, San Jose. Little did we know then, when we were in the planning stages, how much we would fall in love with that sweet little country. Now we are looking for property where we can generate our own electricity and live like a tico.
Arenal,Monteverde, Manuel Antonio, and Corcovado are a real stretch for just 10 days. If you have to spend your first and last in San Jose because of flight times that brings you down to 8 days. Decide on what really interests you the most and leave the rest for another time. Hopefully, CR isn't going anywhere.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 03:25 PM

We loved the Monteverde area. Very different from the rest of CR. We saw Monteverde and Arenal/Fortuna in 5 days, so I don't see why you couldn't also visit MA and Corcovado with another 5 days depending on what sort of transport you used.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 04:28 PM

Suzie2, You can count me in the liking Monteverde camp. The cloud forest there really is completely different than the rain forest in Manual Antonio. But, I'm a total plant person, so I sometimes wonder if other people will love it as much as I do.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:19 AM

We, my husband and I, loved Monteverde too. We spent there three nights so we had two full days for this area. We loved the Rainforest. We went in the morning for a tour organized by the Monteverde Rainforest with a group. There were a few other groups but they were small. Then we just stayed when everybody left. We were hiking for almost five hours meeting only four other people. There are some beautiful hikes with nice views. It was drizzling in the morning but later the sun came out. We saw two Quetzals on our own and Orange breasted Trogan as well. We enjoyed Hummingbird Gallery, Butterfly Garden, birds along the roads, Skywalk, meals in Johnny's (or something like that). We were there in January and although we visited Orchid place we don't think it was worthy as it wasn't a right season for orchids to bloom. The roads are terrible but it was a fantastic experience once we got there and such real feeling of being in the rainforest. IMHO, going to Costa Rica for the first time and not visiting Monteverde is like going to Alaska for the first time and not visiting Denali National Patrk. But again this is just my opinion.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:20 AM

Suzie, when you buy a property are yougoing to build a number of cabins? May I book one now?
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:39 AM

There is a good chance that there will be an extra room/cabin or two. We don't want a real lodge but we do want to have extra room for an occassional guest or two. You can count on beautiful gardens and great birding. I'll let you know.
Jean, I am with you on the wonderful plants up in Monteverde. As much as I enjoy all the birds of Costa Rica I am still in awe of the plants and overall beauty of places like Monteverde, Braulio Carillo, Corcovado etc.
Ann, If you should go to Monteverde, think about doing the horseback trip up to it. It won't feel like such wasted travel time because you will be seeing some beautiful things. It is actually quicker than driving. No matter where you choose you will be a winner. All 4 of those places are different.
Corcovado/Osa Peninsula is truly one of the last frontiers in CR and there is so much to be seen as well. One of these days I hope to get further into the interior of Corcovado. There have been many reports by people on this board and elsewhere on some of the great things they see. Many people do save this for a second trip. We went on our second trip and have been going back every trip since.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:04 PM

Ah yes, the plants in Monteverde. You have just not lived until standing under ferns 5 stories tall! So much GREEN. Just lovely. Worth a couple days. Arenal/LaFortuna is the same (La Fortuna is the town where Arenal is) and that's another couple nights. If you really only have 8 nights, (allowing one for the night you arrive and one for the night before departure) that leaves only 4, so pick just one between MA and Corcovado area.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 06:35 PM

Ah! Flowers and birds. My kind of place. Thanks Suzie. Keep me in mind. Here is my e-mail [email protected]