Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

10 day itinerary for Guatemala with kids- comments please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Guatemala in April (the 10 days before Easter) with our kids aged 9,11, and 13. Upon arrival we are planning to travel immediately to Antigua for 2 days, during which we hope to climb up Volcan Pacaya. Then we are thinking to go to Panajachel for two or three days and visit the lake towns. Then we'd like to fly up to Flores (from Antigua, I guess) for two days at Tikal and maybe visit the Biotopo Cerro Canui. Then we were thinking of taking a comfortable bus down to the Rio Dulce area (Livingston and Puerto Barrios and Siete Allares) and stay for a couple of days. Then another bus to bring us back to Guatemala City for our flight home.

We are faced with a similar challenge to many in this forum: we can't fly directly from Flores to GC on the final day of our trip---that would be cutting it too close. Do you think we can make our flight at 12:30 pm from GC if we take the bus that morning from Livingston?

What do you think of the bus idea? How difficult do you think accomodations/travel will be during the settemana santa? What activities do you think the kids would enjoy? They like a little adventure...that's why I thought of the volcano. Also, do you have any suggestions (books, movies) that might spark the kids interest before we go?
All your thoughts on this itinerary are greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM

In my opinion adding the Rio Dulce part in is too much; you're naming at least 4 or 5 places to sleep in just 10 days so counting arriving and leaving, half your days will be enroute and half enjoying your surroundings - a poor ratio imo.

The flight to Flores will leave from Guatemala City. Most folks fly in the morning which would mean another night in Antigua (or possibly GC) before you head that way. The trip from Rio Dulce town to GC takes 5 or 6 hours so it isn't reasonable to leave that morning and make it to GC and taxi to the airport by 10:30. Although the boat trip to Livingston and back is beautiful and there are some jungly places to stay (that you wouldn't have time to enjoy imo), Las Fronteras itself (Rio Dulce town) isn't especially atmospheric.

Would your kids be able to sleep on a night bus? That option between GC and Flores is popular. You could trade the order around a bit, heading to the lake first, bus to Flores, shuttle to Tikal to stay a night in the park (I like Tikal Inn best www.tikalinn.com and you'll be fortunate if archaeologist/naturalist Roxy Ortiz is available for an early morning tour; she guides from the TI when she's not away on a dig), the next night in Flores, then fly back to GC in the morning and head to Antigua for your last few days. Or you could head to Tikal/Flores 1st. Still a lot of moving around, especially for kids, but doable if they're good sports.

Here are just a few more things that spring to mind and you might want to check out my photos, blogs, and travelogues here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

There are Tikal sets in the 2003, 2007, and 2009 collections.

The Panajachel Reserve has some nice hiking, waterfalls, sky bridges, monkeys (2010 collection). Kayaking on Atitlán might be fun. I also really enjoyed Ixpanpajul Nature Park near Flores: www.ixpanpajul.com (2009 collection). Know there's some risk on Pacaya, a bit scarier with kids; I'd opt for the morning hike as the afternoon hike meant heading down after dark through sharp volcanic scree, quite a challenge.

If you don't already have reservations, Antigua may be tough to pull off during that week. Many of the best lodging options fill up months or even a year in advance and many require full week or at least 4 or 5 night stays. I always visit in the summers (low season) so I'm not much help there. Availability there might drive the order in which you do things.

Hmmm...I'm afraid I might have made it worse instead of better! Good luck with planning and keep us posted!
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 05:00 AM

www.caravan.com has nice tour of Guatemala easiest safer

But for the adventurist in 10 days

www.quintadelasflores.com

www.jaguartikal.com

www.lacasadelmundo.com

Be back in Antigua for your flight nite

Adrenalina shuttles best...

travel.state.gov Guat for a heads up on crime safety

Livingston too dodgy far not enough time.

insuremytrip.com cheap wise...

Have fun,
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 05:42 AM

I've had great luck with Adrenalina, too, and Rainbow Travel is another good one.
www.adrenalintours.com
www.rainbowtravelcenter.com
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Hopefulist, I was hoping you'd weigh in on this! Thank you so much for your input. After a little more research, I agree that we are trying to do too much. I will take your advice and let you know how the arrangements start to work out. Thank you again!
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 09:48 AM

De nada - let me know if I can offer more help with logistics.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

We have booked at the Palacio de Doña Beatriz for 4 nights through a service called "Around Antigua". The service told me that hotels in Antigua have a minimum stay of 4 nights during the Holy Week. Have you heard of "Around Antigua" or this hotel? I was looking for a place with a pool.

I took Hopefulist's advice and have moved Antiqua to the end of our trip and will arrange for a private transfer to the airport at GC the day of our flight home.
Thanks again for everything!
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 01:13 PM

Happy trails!!