Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

10 day honeymoon to CR in July - what 2 places would you go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello-- my fiance and i want to spend 5 days in two places each in CR next july. the budget is about $300/night. we want a smallish hotel/inn with beautiful accomodations (very private), good food, and places near by to adventure to. and we would like to have one place have a great beach. we are thinking Lapa Rios and Los Altos de Eros. i'd love to hear your suggestions for an itinerary.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 06:31 PM

Haven't been on my honeymoon yet, but we'll be going to Casa Chameleon in Mal Pais for part of our honeymoon -- very private, only two bungalows, approx $250/nt, no children (nothing against children, but for a honeymoon...) and very secluded -- sounds like something that might work for you. Check out the reviews on this board & tripadvisor. If you are interested in Casa Chameleon make sure to contact them asap, they get booked up VERY quickly.

We're also staying at Bosque de Paz (for the cloud forest experience), Peace Lodge and Bosque del Cabo - originally we were very interested in Lapa Rios also, but after hearing all the wonderful reviews for BdC on this board we decided to go with BdC instead.

Congradulations on your engagement & hope you have as much fun as I did searching for places to stay in CR!
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 06:48 PM

First of all, congratulations!

Lapa Rios would be a good choice. So would Bosque del Cabo, same area, Golfa de Dulce.

This is the first mention I've seen on Fodor's of the new hotel in Tamarindo, Los Altos de Eros. Photos of it look lovely. Tamarindo is okay, but wouldn't be my choice for a honeymoon destination. Have you looked at Punta Islita for a second beach location? If not, check it out. Also, look into Flor Blanca at Santa Teresa, southern Nicoya Peninsula.

Also, is it important to you to spend all 10 nights near the beach? Honestly, although Costa Rica has a few lovely beaches, most of the Caribbean destinations offer more beautiful beaches--at least white sand/turquoise water.

The rainforests/volcanoes/cloudforests that you find inland are what sets Costa Rica apart from the Caribbean. Have you researched the Volcan Arenal area at all? There is a LOT to do there, and I would think honeymooners would find the hot springs of Tabacon or Eco Thermales very romantic. Check out the fairly new Kioro Hotel or Lost Iguana. Also, you might look into La Mansion on Lago Arenal.

www.hotelarenalkioro.com

www.lamansionarenal.com

www.lostiguanaresort.com

Activities in this area include hiking the volcano, the Hanging Bridges, La Fortuna waterfalls, Cano Negro (don't miss!), the hot springs, SkyTrek canopy (ziplines), and of course, those hot springs!

Here's another thought. Since it is your honeymoon, you might arrange the last night or 2 at someplace near the airport like Peace Lodge or Vista del Valle. Just so you could relax for 24 hours before boarding your flight home and back to reality. Peace Lodge would probably be more "honeymoon appropriate", VdV is very nice as well. Peace Lodge is located within La Paz Waterfall Gardens, a great destination in and of itself and close to Poas Volcano, also worth seeing--different from the more active, lava flowing Volcan Arenal.

Keep in mind that visitors to Costa Rica usually have to spend the last night near the airport anyway. Often it is necessary to stay the first night near the airport as well--if you arrive in the mid-late afternoon.

Possble Itinerary:

Day 1: Arrive, overnight near airport
Day 2: Early flight to Puerto Jimenez
and Lapa Rios
Day 3: Lapa Rios
Day 4: Lapa Rios
Day 5: Lapa Rios
Day 6: Return flight to SJO
Rent car, drive to Arenal
Day 7: Arenal
Day 8: Arenal
Day 9: Arenal, return to SJO
Peace Lodge
Day 10: Peace Lodge
Day 11: Departing Flight

That's 10 nights, right?

You've got a great budget to work with to allow yourself luxury all over the country. I think you would be very pleased with your inland experiences as well as the Osa experience. Tamarindo--save it for another trip! Nothing romantic about it and it's more about the nightlife than anything else.

By the way, there are a couple more luxury options for the last 2 nights besides Peace Lodge and Vista del Valle. Another is Finca Rosa Blanca, another Xandari Resort.
Peace Lodge is just in such a great location right there at La Paz.

Good Luck!
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 05:12 AM

I second CRido on Casa Chameleon IF you can get in. I did go by and see my friends at Casa Chameleon on a recent visit (still looking for land). I couldn't get in to stay. I guess I should have never told people about this great secret place!LOL. They just built a new luxury villa with a huge swimming pool from the bedroom around to the living room.The villa was insane. So, they have 3 villas now. Its still amazing and private and I still think theyre undercharging for what you get. For a honeymoon I dont think a better place exists anywhere in the world. Thats my 2 colones.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Hi Surfexec,
Glad you guys mentioned Casa Chameleon. I forget about it--haven't even seen it yet. We've got to get down there again and check it out.
Any luck on the land search? When were you there last? Feliz Navidad!
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 11:16 AM

Hi Shillmac, Feliz Navidad to you too! I was just in Mal Pais two and a half weeks ago. The new mall is beginning to get some stores and cafes in...it really looks nice. They did a nice job with the building AND I got the scoop on new rules regarding "green areas". I thought I had a piece of concession property that would have been a steal until I found out the government just declared it a green zone and it can NEVER be built on. Thank god I found out before the purchase! This is why I want to find titled land! I am happy to hear that new rules are in place and they are not allowing any more building on the beach from Tamarindo down. I don't know all the rules but it sounds like they are cracking down on the overbuilding. So, I still don't have my piece of paradise yet, but at least paradise will remain for now! It looks like I'll just have to keep going back for the land search. Good excuse to get down there more often! Sorry for hijacking the original post nyc, but I wanted to give a little update...Happy holidays everyone!
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the update, Surfexec! Thank goodness they are trying to protect the beachfront! As you say, perhaps "paradise" will remain just that for awhile longer! You surf, so MalPais is the obvious choice for you. I'd be happy just to find a little piece of property somewhere around Atenas or Cuidad Colon--or, let me just be honest--ANYWHERE! As I've told you before, the hindsight is just killin' me!
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 01:15 PM

the casa chameleon in Mal Pais is one of the nicest hotels in CR, i like MP a lot:

http://costa.rica.typepad.com/mal_pa...ome/index.html