Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   1 week in Peru - what to do (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/1-week-in-peru-what-to-do-712034/)

murrab00 Jun 10th, 2007 02:20 PM

1 week in Peru - what to do

We are planning a trip to Peru for 1 week - primarly to see Machu Picchu. Any thoughts on how to spend the time?

Many thanks

hills27 Jun 10th, 2007 02:56 PM

Have you searched the forum yet? There are a lot of threads on Peru.

murrab00 Jun 10th, 2007 03:24 PM

yep - and not sure how much time to spend and where! Looks like a couple days in Cusco with a day trip up to MP - then not sure what to do with the other 3 days. Any thoughts?

yestravel Jun 10th, 2007 04:13 PM

Spend a few days in the Scared Valley. Lots of nice villages to visit. We especially like Ollantaytambo.

hills27 Jun 10th, 2007 04:18 PM

What's your budget? What types of things do you enjoy seeing? Is it just two of you?

That will help me narrow my comments down.

MIWinnie Jun 10th, 2007 04:19 PM

You don't say whether your week includes travel time to Peru. Assuming that it doesn't, here is what I suggest depending on when your flight arrives in Lima:
2-3 nights in the Sacred Valley
1-2 nights in Agua Calientes and Machu Picchu)
2 nights in Cusco
1 night in Lima (allows for flight delays/cancelations from Cusco)

murrab00 Jun 10th, 2007 04:48 PM

Thanks for your thoughts!

Not too worried about cost - we have been saving for this one. As for time - we woul d depart friday night and arrive sat morning in Cusco. Would depart the following Saturday.

What is Lima like and what are highlights of Sacred Valley?!

helenoftroy Jun 10th, 2007 06:26 PM

Hey Murrab00!
Have you considered go to Arequipa and Colca Valley? Very pretty!

hills27 Jun 10th, 2007 06:42 PM

While a lot of people suggest going straight to the Sacred Valley and ending in MP because it gives you time to acclimate, I've never done it that way (been twice). After flying all night, I just want to go take a nap.

So, my suggestion would be to spend the first night in Cusco. Check into your hotel (I love Monastario, but it's pricey, though I think the oxygenated rooms are worth it), take a nap, have lunch in the courtyard of the hotel or in the courtyard at the Pre-Colombian museum next door (get the lemonade), and then take a city tour that afternoon. You'll be exhausted that night, so just plan on having an early dinner and crashing.

The second day, I'd take a private tour through the Sacred Valley, ending at your hotel. Don't miss the ruins at Pisac or Ollantaytambo. For hotels, I suggest Sol y Luna ($125 per night) or the Libertador Sacred Valley. You may or may not want to spend two nights here, depending on whether you want to take your time in MP/SV/Cusco or pack other locations onto this trip (e.g. Lima or Nasca).

The third or fourth day (depending on what you decide re: the Sacred Valley), I'd take the train from Ollantaytambo to Macchu Picchu. It's a much shorter train ride than going from Cusco. That night, you have two options. You can either stay in Aguas Calientes for the night or take the train back to Cusco. Personally, I've always gone back that night, but a lot of people rave about the Inka Terra Hotel. If you do decide to go back, I suggest splurging on the Hiram Bingham train. It's a lot more comfortable, and includes a four-course gourmet meal in a beautiful dining car (and a lounge car), a private guide for the day in MP, your tickets and bus ride to MP, lunch at the Sanctuary Hotel, access to the bathrooms at the Sanctuary Hotel (instead of the portajohns), and afternoon tea a the Sanctuary Hotel. Whichever you decide, leave your large suitcase at your hotel in Cusco and pack a smaller overnight bag for your time in the Sacred Valley and MP.

Continued below...

hills27 Jun 10th, 2007 06:46 PM

The fourth or fifth day, spend the morning walking around Cusco and then fly back to Lima right after lunch.

Then, I'd spend a day or two in Lima and take a day trip to Ica to see the Nasca lines. Here's a thread with my post on what to do with 3 days in Lima.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...amp;dirtyBit=1

With just a week, I don't think you have time to go to Arequipa or Colca. But hopefully, you will fall in love with Peru and go back many times.

hills27 Jun 10th, 2007 06:47 PM

Oops...first line two posts above...meant to say "while a lot of people suggest going straight to the Sacred Valley and ending in CUSCO..." Sorry.

TravelChic13 Jun 11th, 2007 11:49 AM

Murrab,
You got to go to Lago Titicaca. Stay in Puno and look into an overnight boat trip where you can stay at a guesthouse on one of the two islands used for the trip. Very reasonable (I think $50/person, includes meals and lodging). We talked the boat captain into stopping the boat and let's us jump into Titicaca, it was quite refreshing! :-)
Cheers,
Travel Chic

murrab00 Jun 11th, 2007 05:46 PM

Many thanks for all your replies! Cant wait to go!!!

utahlover Jun 17th, 2007 09:22 PM

Thank you for your strand as it is just what we needed.We have tickets to go in Jan 08,from a free Costa Rica voluntary bump and now we can start making nice plans for our 10 day trip.

losttime Jun 18th, 2007 04:16 AM

I've just returned from Peru. I followed some of the advice of hills27 and I would suggest that you do note what he is saying. It is good advice.

One thing though! Stay overnight in Agua Calientes. The Inkaterra is good but it is the only decent hotel in town. By doing this you can go up to MP when you arrive and do the lower parts first off. Have lunch and then head for the "classic view point". The day trippers will have to head off about 2:30 to start catching trains, so they'll do this first. When we got to that point at about 3pm, MP was virtually deserted.

PS: If you're going to the jungle region, be careful. I spent 7 days on antibiotics getting rid of a bad dose of "Inca Revenge".

Enjoy.

hills27 Jun 18th, 2007 05:42 AM

Thanks, I'm glad I could help.

hills27 Jun 18th, 2007 05:42 AM

Btw, for those keeping track at home, I'm a she. :-)

losttime Jun 18th, 2007 10:28 PM

Sorry hills27,

Jumping to conclusions again.

hills27 Jun 19th, 2007 05:11 AM

No worries.

GrannyJoan Jun 21st, 2007 11:14 AM

Hi Hills,

Just searching this forum for info on Machu Picchu and Galapagos and ran across your nice threads on both.

We just got back from MM in SA and remember you are headed there next month, right?

We got travel fever after the safari and are now researching and about to book MP and GI with Nat Habitat on small boat. I saw the posting about the ship we will be on with the gent and family who got sick. I am hoping that is a fluke and feel that is the case.

Again, we are going shortly and frantically trying to make these last minute reservations. Looks like a lot of good bird photo ops.

Any suggestions or tips for GI or MP?

Thanks,
- Granny Joan

We thought about the Aleutian Island to Russia trip to see some more wildlife, but Galapagos has been on our list and just keeps getting pushed aside every year, so thought we would try it, before it is too late to do so.