Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Playa del Carmen - El Faro or Corto Maltes?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to PdC for the end of May and looking to rent a condo at Corto Maltes. Condo looks great, but some reviews mention loud music from the beach bars tip 3 or 5 am. Has anyone stayed at Corto Maltes or El Faro and can you comment on the noise from the beach bars?

Thanks
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 05:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at El Faro years ago, before it was rebuilt and enlarged. For what it's worth, I do not recall hearing any beach bar music at that time.
Old Apr 14th, 2014, 11:05 PM

The beach bar in front of Corto Maltes is called Zenzi. If you are in a condo right over the bar or just behind it, I would listen to the reviews, as you will hear music from Zenzi.

El Faro is next door. We have stayed there, before we bought our condo further up the beach. As long as your condo is not on the street right next to Zenzi (St btwn Corto Maltes and El Faro) you should not have problems with music at El Faro. The music doesn't carry that far, and El Faro has very thick hurricane glass, the condos are very quiet.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 08:16 AM

El Faro had a very ugly situation between the owners and the management co a few months ago. I have not heard whether it's been completely resolved but for now, be very very leery of renting anything at el Faro.
Old Apr 15th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses.

Jette, I too read about the situation with the El Faro condos, I think they are getting cleared up but would prefer to stay away for now.

Given that we are aware of the potential noise situation at Corto Maltes, I think we will bring ear plugs for the lighter sleepers in our group and go in with realistic expectations. The location and condo seem terrific. I'll post a TR after our visit.

Thank you
Old Apr 16th, 2014, 04:47 AM

It is a great location to right in the middle of everything. Check out 1st St behind your condo, lots of nice little bars (Dirty Martini) and restaurants there, and a really nice shop called Siete DEtalles at corner of 1st and 12th, really good quality decorative items from all over Mexico there. The owner, Alicia, is a lovely woman.