Notices

Skills Needed to Participate on Forums

Apr 5th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Skills Needed to Participate on Forums

I'm a new visitor to the Forums----have only been using for 3 months. Am not a lifelong computer user either. I do have good word processing skills but I'm in the dark as to how to utilize them in forum discussions. I see others employ copy & paste when refering to comments by other participants, but I have no idea how to get to a tool bar while I'm on the forum. How did you all figure out how to do it?
Apr 6th, 2012, 08:43 AM

Annettafly, on my computer "control C" is for cut and "control V" to paste.
I'm sure there are other ways as well.
Welcome to Fodors!
Apr 6th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Let me try that . . . "control C" is for cut
OK---that worked. Yeah!
Called a friend who helped me find the tool bar that was never lost---duh.
Now let me try another way . . . Welcome to Fodors!
OK, that worked too.
I just need some pratice, I guess. And to get over myself, reach out and ask for help. Hesitant to ask about these really basic matters since some of my asking for travel help has resulted in not-so-friendly responses that made me feel dumber than a doorknob. Will stay in touch, nyse. Thanks
Apr 7th, 2012, 08:10 AM

I responded with directions on the Italy train thread. What part of Detroit? DD is living there for two years (north near 20 mile) so I'm up there every few months.
Apr 7th, 2012, 11:08 AM

And sorry, I mistyped:

"Control C" is for copy
"Control X" is to cut!
Apr 7th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

The runways for Detroit Metropolitan Airport are practically in my backyard. I'm 20 minutes downriver from Detroit. If you come up I-75 (which is how I go down to Lexington, Berea, etc.) you pass the Telegraph Road exit leading into the suburb of Taylor (affectionately known as Taylortucky). I have cousins who live north of the city, up on 23 Mile---I think that's Shelby Township. I'll go to the train thread to get the lesson. You're kind---as usual.
Jun 27th, 2012, 02:19 PM

annetafly- I am glad you posted about cut and paste because I would like to know also. I have been a member since 2007 so you can see i am a very slow learner. Please do not let snarky replies bother you.Most Fodorites are tremendously kind and helpful.
Jun 27th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Violetduct. I'm still here. Was more surprised than intimidated by the not-so-nice posters. Why would they get on a travel forum and then be UNHELPFUL to newbies. Oh well. And you're so right---I have "met" some kind and witty people here who I look for when I get on. Matter of fact, this Sunday I'm going to meet some of them IRL at a GTG in Detroit.
Sep 11th, 2012, 02:25 PM

Good for you, have fun! Ignore the rude ones!
Sep 11th, 2012, 05:19 PM

Left click just before the text you want to copy. Swipe with the mouse to highlight the rest of it. While it is blue, right click then choose copy from the menu that appears.
Left click on your post. Right click, choose paste. Done.
Oct 10th, 2012, 05:26 AM

Actually Control C is copy and control V is paste. For cut - but you can't cut something out of someone else's post - would be Control X.
Nov 10th, 2012, 11:53 AM

Left click just before the text you want to copy. Swipe with the mouse to highlight the rest of it. While it is blue, right click then choose copy from the menu that appears.
Left click on your post. Right click, choose paste. Done.
Nov 10th, 2012, 11:54 AM

See what happened when I did what Zippo said to do!
Nov 15th, 2012, 07:34 AM

And when you type a post, preview it before submitting. So you can edit out errors. I've found all sorts of typos -- even before I got this @$#&% new keyboard.

Search this Thread