Notices

Recent Spam Attacks

Nov 28th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Recent Spam Attacks

Hello Fodorites,

As most of you are aware, the Fodor’s forum has been hit hard with recent and ongoing spam. The team at Fodor’s has been working to remove this spam and find a more systematic solution, but unfortunately we are not able to more fully resolve this until we migrate to a platform with more sophisticated anti-spam tools. We hope to do this soon, and will keep the community updated on our progress.

Meanwhile, we will do our best to implement a more effective manual spam-removal schedule, and we understand the stress this has caused many members of this community, and apologize for the delay in finding a permanent solution.

Spam sucks.

Best,

The Fodor's Team
Nov 28th, 2016, 10:52 AM

Thanks for working on this, and thanks for telling us what you're doing about it.
Nov 28th, 2016, 10:55 AM

I appreciate the update. Thank you.
Nov 28th, 2016, 11:31 AM

thank you
Nov 28th, 2016, 11:39 AM
ira

thanx guys
Nov 28th, 2016, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the update. Hoping this forum will be so much nicer when you have the new platform up and running.
Nov 28th, 2016, 01:36 PM

Nicer? Ha! Check out the future:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/
This forum will look just like that one soon enough. You'll wish for the spam back, lol.
Nov 28th, 2016, 01:43 PM

Looks like you're right newbE, I think I can deal with spam! Will not like that new format!

And I'm not averse to change, but prefer change for the better.
Nov 28th, 2016, 02:40 PM

how do you know that that's what's in store for us, NewbE? i followed the link but I'm not experienced enough with these things to see that that's what's happening to Fodors.
Nov 28th, 2016, 02:48 PM

There's a thread on the Europe board in which an employee of the new ownership company says so, annhig. He provided the link I posted above as an example of what all their boards look like.
Nov 28th, 2016, 04:52 PM

Internet Brands not only owns fodors and flyer talk, but it also owns the software engine that is behind flyer talk and many other sites. So yes indeed I believe at some point voters will migrate over to the new platform. It takes a little getting used to, but it has many more features such as being able to Show your email if you choose to and being able to message each other directly.
Nov 28th, 2016, 04:57 PM

Ann - one of the IB folks have said we'll be changing formats to the ancient VBulletin format like Flyertalk in "early 2017".

I knew it was coming. No way were they going to learn and support this as well as their own format. They didn't buy the Fodors setup. They bought us, basically. The user base. The fact they can quote numbers so quickly tells me that's a big thing on their side. Unfortunately, they're also the owners/sellers of that software, so they're certain, as any good business would be, that their product is the best. Even if it's pretty outdated looking after all these years, compared to many of the sites some of spend time on. It's what they have and sell, they're not going to suddenly build or bring in something more modern looking or keep fiddling with someone else's software.

Side note: I've seen people organise and split off from here before over change. Be careful with that. IB seems to have been litigious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...#Controversies
Nov 28th, 2016, 07:33 PM
kja

Oh no! One of the reasons I use Fodor's is because its format is the one that I find most useful, not only for seeking input, but also for providing it. I hope IB considers the value of what we, the Fodorite community, provide and what we offer that is potentially different than what other travel sites offer.

The principle of diversification comes to mind -- why lose current consumers and travel advisors, and anyone else who does NOT like the Flytalk format, if they can keep us and so offer an alternative to other market models?

@ CounterClifton -- thanks for that link!
Nov 28th, 2016, 07:36 PM

I'd try just about anything to stay in touch with the many wonderful folks I've "met" on this board over more than a dozen years, but admit that I don't find the example to be very user-friendly .

There was also a very cryptic post about the future of the Lounge on the same post on the Europe board.
Nov 28th, 2016, 08:00 PM

kja, the economics of maintaining a unique format within a large organization that owns and maintains its own format make your idea quite impossible. And Fodors Forums' numbers are tiny compared to FlyerTalk and CruiseCritic. So, putting Fodors on their format will make the forums so cheap to maintain that they won't care if a bunch of disgruntled users leave.

(If it makes you feel any better, they have considered the value of these forums, which is why they are migrating them to their platform.)
Nov 28th, 2016, 08:07 PM
kja

@ NewbE: Sorry, I thought I was allowed to express my opinion. My mistake.
Nov 29th, 2016, 02:02 AM

N, you were doing well until the "childish" bit, breath guy...
Nov 29th, 2016, 02:52 AM

Question: will older posts and threads be brought over to the new platform? There's a lot of good information here and it would be a shame to lose it.
Nov 29th, 2016, 03:48 AM

It sure sounds as if I'll have to find elsewhere a place to post, after over ten years of trying to help here the people who are coming to my country.

Search this Thread