New Fodor’s forum -- coming soon!

Nov 29th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Administrator
Original Poster

New Fodor’s forum -- coming soon!

Hello Fodorites!

At long last, we are ready to present a sneak preview of what the new Fodor’s forums will look like! These forums are on a new software platform that offers new features that Fodorites have been requesting for years. We’ve been busy creating and refining the new layout so that it retains the best of what Fodor’s forums have always been, but now you can do additional things like embed photos and edit your posts. In addition, new search tools will allow seasoned Fodorites and new visitors to easily find the wonderful trip reports and travel discussions that Fodor’s is known for.

Some of the features you can look forward to include:

*Photos, Photo Galleries, and Videos – Insert photos, embed videos into your posts, and create your own photo galleries
*Edit Posts – Edit your own posts
*Subscriptions – Subscribe to your favorite threads and forums to receive alerts on new activity
*Private Messages - Send Private Messages to another user (you may specify if you want to receive messages, who you receive messages from, and what kind of alerts you get)
*Quote Posts - Easily quote the specific post you are responding to
*Improved Search – Quickly find the posts or threads you’re looking for, including all your own historical comments and trip reports
*Better anti-spam protections
*Faster site speed

To help you get acquainted with this new forum, we have created a temporary “sandbox forum.” Think of it as a site where you can preview the new layout to get used to it. Early next week, I will post the link to the “sandbox forum,” explain how to log in, and post a user guide to help you get acquainted.

*****An early caveat: this “sandbox forum” will not be "live," meaning it is not connected to the Fodor’s database, but it will look and function very closely to what you can expect of the new forum. The posts or changes that you make in the “sandbox forum” will not affect what is on the live forums, nor will anything posted to the live site be migrated to the “sandbox forum” site. The “sandbox forum” is a temporary site that will disappear, along with all its content, once we officially migrate to the new forum. *****

We will leave this “sandbox forum” up for a few weeks and announce the official date for the new forum migration in the next few weeks. When the migration happens, both the current live forum and “sandbox forum” will disappear and be replaced by the new forum. Every member account, post and thread from the live forum will migrate over to the new forum.

So keep your eyes peeled early next week -- we hope you're as excited as we are!

Paul
Nov 29th, 2017, 05:17 PM

Sounds interesting!
Nov 29th, 2017, 05:19 PM

No blocking of specific poster?
Nov 29th, 2017, 05:19 PM

Sounds promising.
Nov 29th, 2017, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Original Poster

@jubilada if you mean putting someone on "ignore" so you don't see their posts, yes you can do that on the new forums.
Nov 29th, 2017, 05:31 PM

Great move with the ignore feature. I hope someone can read this.
Nov 29th, 2017, 05:42 PM

hhmmmmmm!

I always wanted to play in the sandbox.
Nov 29th, 2017, 06:06 PM

Excellent news about the 'ignore' feature although if enough of us ignore each other that will get messy.

I still have that banner telling me that I'll soon have a new profile page. Will that still be there?
Nov 29th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Administrator
Original Poster

@cathies the new profile page will be the next phase after we migrate to the new forums in January. For now, it will be the same.
Nov 29th, 2017, 06:42 PM

Paul, who can I write to about getting my old forum name back?

Thanks.
Nov 29th, 2017, 06:44 PM

Great news!
Nov 29th, 2017, 07:28 PM

Everyone’s ignoring xcounty right? Shhhh...
Nov 29th, 2017, 07:43 PM

Hi xcountry, nice to have you weigh in.
Nov 29th, 2017, 07:51 PM

xcountry, I miss you. So what are you thinking for your wife's Christmas present? Neon Patagonia nanopuff jacket? (I feel bad for saying it was a great gift. Well, sort of, I would have liked it.)

How are your kids? Is your daughter still in the United Kingdom? What are your sons up to?

My daughter is 13.5 and really turned a corner on a two week trip with us last March. She's always been an easy kid but we spent two weeks together and had such a great trip. I have very much appreciated your trip reports with your kids.

Hope you're well!
Nov 29th, 2017, 10:46 PM

Will cats be allowed in the sandbox?
Nov 30th, 2017, 02:33 AM

Do we know how the lounge will be treated? old members, new members?

Fingers crossed that all goes well. I think I’ll print out a couple of threads for myself just in case. Hope to see you all on the other side.
Nov 30th, 2017, 04:22 AM

Sounds promising!
Nov 30th, 2017, 04:42 AM

Hi Kureiff - I am pretty sure anything sports/outdoors related for my wife would mysteriously appear the next day for sale somewhere. Although she has agreed to come on an overnight cross country ski trip just after Christmas.

Daughter is back from the UK with her masters and now has a job. I'm glad she is settling down a bit. When I think back to some of the situations she has been in in Turkey and North Africa. As we get older and more afraid of everything I don't think we could stand anymore of her real time reports of some of the situations she has been in.

Oldest son is looking where to go for his masters. Very good marks and work history so he can basically go anywhere. I look up cheap universities, then try and find good reviews of them, then give him the information. It's not working. Fortunately most of the money will come from him. (He is looking at the US and Europe. I will never get over the cost of US universities, though I understand they provide significant financial support in many cases. I was just reading a report on the funding American universities are receiving from levels of government. Sounds like it is going down which may make things even more expensive.)

Youngest boy is your daughter. Loves the outdoors - the more difficult trip the better. Passing me in terms of willing to do anything and into your father's zone I think.

Our good friend the lawyer was just named a judge. She now tells us how much she was beginning to hate dealing with clients. Maybe you could become a judge?

We just survived a college strike around here. It was awful for the students but I was amazed to hear how little some of the profs/instructors made. I hope your husband is still enjoying his job.

Dave - wouldn't that make it a liter box where cats go to ----?

Percy - Monday morning at your 7 am. The Canadian curling trials from Ottawa. I will be there cheering for the Edmonton teams. Although one of them doesn't have a hope but the skip seems like a nice guy. The women's team does have a hope.

Gruezi and Percy - I am a bit down on the medical/research community. I just spent six weeks eating nothing but healthy foods (no junk, no sugar, even more exercise) in an attempt to get ready for ski season and I lost negative one pound. In protest I am switching to a diet of fries and sugar for a few weeks. Will keep you posted.
Nov 30th, 2017, 05:22 AM

>>@jubilada if you mean putting someone on "ignore" so you don't see their posts, yes you can do that on the new forums.>>

ibobi
1. What if others don't want to ignore that person - is their post just blocked from that one specific poster who pushed the ignore button?

2. Don't we already have the ability to post photos. Many posters start an OP and include a link to their travel or whatever photos.
How would this new option be different?
Nov 30th, 2017, 06:19 AM

I would be happy just to have the preview and search functions that have disappeared restored. I am not sure I need "improved search"--I was able to find what I needed before when search worked.

Search this Thread