Forums Newsletter: Would you be interested?

Sep 26th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Forums Newsletter: Would you be interested?

Hello everybody---happy Wednesday.

We've been thinking here about adding another newsletter to our offerings; we currently send out a weekly Fodor's Newsletter every Thursday.

My question: if we were to offer a Community newsletter---a newsletter that pointed to great trip reports, lively travel discussions, and new user reviews---would you be likely to sign up for it? I envision a newsletter that will quickly "catch-up" users who maybe don't check in everyday. I'd also like a chance to highlight community happenings---for instance a GTG alert/mini report.

What's the barometer of interest from folks here?

If interested, would you be most likely to sign up for a newsletter that you received monthly, bi-weekly, or weekly?

I'm thinking that bi-weekly might be the best. Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Oct 5th, 2007, 09:15 PM

Katie
I would be interested in a Newsletter.
A couple of things that I thing are needed for posters (especially newer ones like myself) are do the abbreviations commonly used stand for (DH, ROFLOL, OP, etc.) or what is meant by trolling, or a troll.

It would also be nice to have an etiquette "rules" or "advice". For example, maybe indicate to newcomers that it would be nice to respond with their decisions (of course, not necessary but thoughtful of those who do).

Just a few suggestions.
And I have to say Katie - you do a wonderful job with answering questions, monitoring the TALK section, writing reports, etc.
Thanks!
Oct 10th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Sounds like a great idea.
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:55 PM

Biweekly sounds good. Nice idea.
Oct 12th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

A new and improved FAQ is definitely needed...I'll definitely tack on a list of abbreviation explanations.

I actually produced a packet here to introduce new editors to the crazy world of the Forums. This is my list of abbreviations that I include in that packet. Did I miss anything? Or did I get anything wrong?

Here’s a brief introduction to common abbreviations/slang found on the Forums.

DH Dear Husband (You will also see DW (wife), DD (daughter), and DS (son).
This is used in a purely affectionate way. I’m not sure why everyone is so “dear” but that’s how it goes.

TTT To The Top
When a poster posts TTT, he is essentially topping a thread (sending it to the top of the forum.) He is either a) bookmarking it for himself as now the thread will show up under his name when he clicks his name or b) doesn’t know the answer but feels inclined to help so he’s sending the thread to the top so others will see it.

GTG Get ToGether
Fodorites coming together in real life typically over dinner. They’re held all over the country (and world) and there’s usually one being planned at any given time. Turnout is usually around 15 people. Mini-GTGs can have as few as 3 members. Sort of like if a few of us went out to lunch.

FFRR Freaky Friday Rants and Raves
This refers to a weekly thread in the Lounge in which Fodorites post the good and the bad of their last week. It has been going on for a number of years.

IMHO In My Honest Opinion

ROFLMAO Rolling On the Floor Laughing My A** Off

OP Original Poster

TIA Thanks In Advance

BBS Be Back Soon

FWIW For What It's Worth

OMG Oh My Gosh

HTH Hope This Helps

The Lounge
Refers to the Fodorite Lounge, a forum filled with travel-related and non-travel related posts.

Flame
A poster is “flamed” when other posters react to her post with scornful/judgmental/angry posts.

Troll
Someone who posts inane/controversial posts to rile up the masses. Best ignored and reported.

Oct 13th, 2007, 08:31 PM

thanks, very helpful - i've always wondered what a "troll" was.
Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:38 AM

Hi Katie - I would sign up for another newsletter..and thanks for the definitions of the abbreviations. I had a "why didn't I think of that" moment on a couple of them. Your team does a fab job and I love the guidebooks too.
Dec 7th, 2007, 07:34 PM

This is a good idea. I don't come here as often as I should. I guess the format doesn't really work for me, baby steps I know.
Jan 4th, 2008, 08:44 AM

bm
Jan 5th, 2008, 03:54 AM

I would be interested as well. Great idea.
Jan 13th, 2008, 06:16 AM

I would be interested as well. Sometimes I check a lot, sometimes I don't, when I don't I might miss some fabulous trip reports!

Weekly or bi-weekly would what I'd be most likely to sign up for.
Jan 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM

So delighted you are looking at this. Fodors is my FAVORITE travel forum, and Fodorites are the best travellers IMO! Keep up the good work and count me in!!
Jan 16th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the enthusiasm everybody!
Jan 29th, 2008, 02:03 AM

Hi Katie,
Thats a good idea and bioweekly would be better than weekly, believe would have syronger impact.
I definately would sign up....

Cheers,
Murat
Jan 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM

I would definitely be interested since I am one of those people who drops off for awhile and then desires to catch up. Thanks. Godd Idea.

Jami
Jan 31st, 2008, 08:15 AM

I would definitely be interested in a newsletter but want you to promise that I won't be spammed with promises of "Russian brides;septic tank ventures;insurance or whatever"? Thanks!
Feb 3rd, 2008, 05:46 AM

I am interested.
Feb 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM

I am totally new to this, but have caught the bug... OK this is going to sound stupid, but just where does this newsletter go - to this site? (Yep I'm stupid when it comes to this stuff- but am A GREAT cook, mom and Kindergarten teacher!!)
Feb 10th, 2008, 10:30 AM

I'd have to say Bi Weekly as well. I'm sure you will let us all know via the Fodor's Subscription we all get now. Thanks again!

Search this Thread