Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Support > Forums Help -- CLOSED ARCHIVE
Reload this Page > Finally unable to post - reproducible! Some data
Notices

Finally unable to post - reproducible! Some data

Nov 14th, 2017, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Finally unable to post - reproducible! Some data

Finally unable to post! I landed on a pizza place's WiFi. Fodor's fails to post replies EVERY TIME.

But switch to my phone's hotspot and it works EVERY TIME.

Same browser, same computer - Chrome, and Firefox. Tablet fails too. No anti-virus - I'm on a Linux laptop. Nothing to do with login - I've been logged in forever. Login in an incognito window in Chrome, same thing. Ad blocker also has no effect, on or off.

It's clearly an internet connection issue somehow. If you have a phone with a hotspot, try it and see if you can post - or try using your phone or tablet's mobile data instead of WiFi. Or vice versa. Or try your neighbor's WiFi.

Curiously, it also fails when I VPN somewhere. All my traffic (I thought?) was going through the tunnel. Traceroute starts at the VPN. I'm not sure how my browser would communicate with Fodor's other than going through the VPN tunnel. I thought maybe a port was blocked locally or something - but once I'm in the VPN tunnel, all traffic should go between me and Fodor's - ports locally should have no effect. But I am not exactly a network guru.

I am guessing Cloudflare detects something in the packets I am sending and is blocking me. I get pretty much an instant blank screen when it fails (even on a very slow VPN connection to Mom's slow DSL). I don't have tools available to analyze them to compare working vs. not working.

The failing WiFi uses a Comcast business connection (IP 50.255.101.194), for whatever that's worth.

When I VPN via phone hotspot a different Comcast business connection I have access to, curiously, I can post without problems. (Both Comcast business connections are local in Portland, but they are on different subnets here.) The traceroutes to Fodors.com look identical for working or not working, other than a local IP.
Nov 14th, 2017, 04:09 PM

Test
Nov 14th, 2017, 04:10 PM

Test
Nov 14th, 2017, 04:22 PM

That was my phone, WiFi off then on.

Laptop on WiFi still not working.

Kindle on the same WiFi has worked sporadically, not working at the moment.

Now phone with WiFi on didn't work. Let's try with WiFi off.
Nov 14th, 2017, 04:22 PM

I use my phone at work that is not connected to any wifi. It runs solely on my data plan and i chave not been able to post from it since last Tuesday. I have done all the logging out and back in, restarting everything, etc. I am not a techie but do know what to do for the basics and none of it has worked. Like I just was able to reply once from my laptop then the second reply wouldn't go through. I am now on my iPad and I'm after typing this long reply it won't post.
Nov 14th, 2017, 04:59 PM

Thank you Andrew - that is helpful. We suspect this is Cloudflare SSL as well.
Nov 14th, 2017, 05:14 PM

Wifi off/wifi on doesn't make an iota of difference on my iPhone. (Tried it several times today.)
Nov 14th, 2017, 05:26 PM

Mobile vpn test reply
Nov 14th, 2017, 05:27 PM

reply test
Nov 14th, 2017, 05:58 PM

Nice work Andrew!
Nov 14th, 2017, 07:07 PM

I turned off my home wifi on my phone and I still couldn't reply but turned it off in my iPad and was just able to reply so trying again. It is a cloudflare issue as I was getting errors from it last night.
Nov 14th, 2017, 08:31 PM

test on Android WiFi
Nov 14th, 2017, 08:32 PM

On Microsoft Surface - Did not work on house WiFi, did work when connected to mobile phone (Android) hot spot
Nov 14th, 2017, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Is your home internet Comcast?
Nov 14th, 2017, 08:51 PM

Andrew - home internet is Spectrum (Time Warner in a new wrapper)
Mobile carrier is T Mobile
Nov 14th, 2017, 08:51 PM

Yo
Nov 14th, 2017, 08:53 PM

Hey, weird. So WiFi works. My phone data does not. But that does NOT make sense because my laptop is ALSO on COMCAST WiFi and DOES NOT post.

So why would the device matter?
Nov 14th, 2017, 09:16 PM
Original Poster

It seems to have something to do with SSL (https) - encrypted web pages. If Cloudflare is picky about your SSL connection, anything that your device or network device or anti-virus software might do to your transmitted data might screw it up and block your packets.

The two Comcast routers I've been able to connect to that cause posting to fail might add something to the packets that causes problems - perhaps just one of several different ways SSL could get messed up when talking to the Fodor's web server through Cloudflare.

I also noticed that the two Comcast routers both use IPv6; when I check my public IP with "WhatsMyIP?" I get an IPv6 address instead of IPv4. One of them is my neighbor's; I'd be tempted to try to coax her into disabling IPv6 as a test. I can't imagine why that would matter - but who knows? (Nothing wrong with throwing out yet another new theory, LOL!)

If I had access to the two Fodor's posting scripts (one for new threads, one for replies), I'd be studying them carefully. Why are they different? Does one do something non-SSL and the other does it differently? An extra step? Because if one script works and other doesn't, that's fully under their control - they don't need Cloudflare to fix anything. It's just a matter of what to change. But I'm sure they have been down this road already...
Nov 14th, 2017, 10:03 PM

This is a test
Nov 14th, 2017, 10:31 PM

Andrew, I asked my son, who's taken some web design, built his own computers, etc., to have a look.

I will do my best to summarize here. One thing he noticed was that Fodors uses an HTTP 302 Found command for posting comments. This is an outdated command and he is wondering if that could be causing some problems. He said they should be using a 303 and 307.

Apparently--again, I hope I'm explaining this correctly: The 302 code was used with a much earlier version, HTTP/1.1 and that is no longer the standard for most web browers.

Websites have a lot of lines of code and he didn't have time to study it in detail. This is just an educated guess.

By the way, he also mentioned that if indeed these glitches are related to an error with the HTTP protocol, that your VPN should not cause you any more or less problems than simply using your network in person.

For your reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_302

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...xx_Redirection

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypert...nsfer_Protocol

Search this Thread