December 4th "Sandbox" Forum Tech Thread

Dec 4th, 2017, 07:04 AM
Adminstrator
Original Poster

December 4th "Sandbox" Forum Tech Thread

Hi everyone!

As we launch the Sandbox Forum (see here: https://www.fodors.com/community/for...oming-soon.cfm) and you're able to explore it, please report any technical issues you experience in this thread.

That means if you click on a link/function and it's not working or formatting of the site seems wrong on your device, things like that. Please keep discussions related to technical help and troubleshooting. In turn, we will respond and let you know our progress on resolving any problems you may encounter.

Thank you, everyone!
Dec 4th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Adminstrator
Original Poster

Please refrain from posting in this thread until you have access to the "Sandbox" forum.
Dec 4th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Administrator

...and away we go! Post up any problems here.
Dec 4th, 2017, 06:44 PM

Not a problem but a question, do I have to log in and set up a new account and if so will I still have access to the Lounge?
Dec 4th, 2017, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Log in as yourself here and then go to the vbulletin link in the announcement. No need for new login and your access is the same as here, if you’re in Lounge here you’re in on Beta too.
Dec 5th, 2017, 07:57 AM

Thanks. I normally stay logged in so I assume there is nothing I need to do them. Appreciate your help.
Dec 5th, 2017, 01:12 PM

As I mentioned in a previous post, when trying to insert an image from a URL (an image on my own website), the bot used to fetch the image uses an empty UserAgent. E.g. when Facebook fetches an image I am trying to share, the UserAgent is
"facebookexternalhit/1.1 (+http://www.facebook.com/externalhit_uatext.php)" I can whitelist that on my server so that I serve up a "clean" image not one with an obnoxious watermark.

The UserAgent shouldn't be empty anyway; some sites might block requests like that entirely.

FYI, just now trying to insert another image (preview): your bot tried to fetch the image five times from my server but still failed; it shows 100% complete but still no image. All of the fetches were successful (200) according to my sever. Just a JPEG image, nothing unusual, not very large.

I tried inserting the same image again - and this time, on the fourth attempt, it succeeded.
Dec 5th, 2017, 01:20 PM

In general (vbulletin feedback perhaps), it would be nice to have the option to block images in posts by default, per user, if I choose to. Image insertion is new for Fodor's users of course, and I would not be shocked if people try to insert some pretty nasty images.

Also, it looks like some very large images can be inserted directly into threads. Some people posting might not realize that by posting 20 big images in their trip reports - even though they might have a 1Gbps internet connection, seems fast to them - that they might make loading their report not only very slow but also consume a ton of data (think mobile data).

What I would recommend might be:

1. If I set the option in my profile, don't show any images in threads by default; instead, show their X/Y size and a generic "image" which I can choose to load by clicking. Or in each thread, provide a "show all images" button.
2. Scale down loaded images (for everyone) to some maximum height + image byte size. Maybe you already do this but the limits are much higher than I am seeing people post already.
Dec 7th, 2017, 12:58 AM

I agree about the photo size. Another (photography) forum I am a member of limits the size in the forum but allows you to click on the image to see a larger version if you wish.

800px on the long side is a reasonable viewing size for a forum like this.

Maybe to avoid too many nasty photos from Trolls and spammers have a minimum post number before you can post photos?
Dec 7th, 2017, 05:03 AM

A limit on the number of photos per thread/post would also help. I come to Fodors to read text, there are MANY other places I can go if I want a lot of photos.
Dec 9th, 2017, 04:04 AM

Will there be a way to see only trip reports?
Dec 10th, 2017, 02:17 PM

Same question here regarding being able to turn off photos. I'd be surprised if that isn't available somewhere? Forums and chats had that capability 25 years ago. Not asking due to the aesthetics or the disruption to conversation they often present.

I'm asking due to security issues. I see there is, when in the photo function while posting, the ability to use a URL. The question is - does that function download a copy of the photo it's linked to and store it on a server IB has control over? Obviously, if someone uploads an image file, IB secures it... and any log file tracking on who has accessed it.

But if that file sits on a 3rd party server and this forum is merely displaying by using the full internet url to the other server, that's not good. Especially if we don't have a way to turn off image display. There is a reason in email you don't let remote content display. It's because accessing an image that is only linked in the email but not embedded will record the users IP in the log files of the server where the image resides. At that point, your IP is known, your ISP is known. Which I don't mind if it's IB. They're a known quantity. But I WOULD mind if this is set up that I never know when I might suddenly be accessing some file on someone else's server.

Could we get some clarification on what happens when that insert photo URL is used and if we can, as users, block seeing those?
Dec 10th, 2017, 02:25 PM

I uploaded a photo via a URL - and to answer your question, yes, they do download a local copy to their server then serve it up from there. Makes sense. Using the URL method simply saves the poster the step of downloading from URL to poster's device first then uploading again to IB's server.

I have found some Chrome (desktop) extensions that disable image downloads. The best I have found so far is called Wizmage Image Hider. It lets you chose per site how to handle image viewing and allows you to blacklist or whitelist sites. You can also hover over the potential image and choose to view it. Doesn't solve the problem for phones/tablets though, as I believe these extensions work only on the Chrome desktop version.

There are other Chrome extensions (probably similar available for Firefox) that do about the same thing; some remove images completely and don't even show you where they are in a page. I do want the option to know there are images there to view.
Dec 10th, 2017, 02:33 PM

Ok, great. Thanks for testing, Andrew. As you'd see on many forums still (due to the broken links on older threads) that it's not that common to pull the image.

Many companies don't want to for commercial intent, as by pulling it down, storing it and "re-displaying" it, they may regularly be breaking copyright.

Hey, Wizmage sounds like a promising workaround should it get to be "too much". Is there a default behaviour towards any new site? ie, you don't have to go whitelisting all the other websites you use so you can keep seeing graphics with your morning news, for instance, right?
Dec 11th, 2017, 03:29 PM
Administrator

@AJPeabody ONLY trip reports? You can't do that NOW...

Anyway... I'm not sure what you are asking. But if Trip Reports are your jam, try going into any destination forum and clicking the "Display Trip Reports" link under the New Thread button!
Dec 11th, 2017, 05:18 PM

CC, Wizmage allows either whitelisting (no sites show no images unless you them to the list) or blacklisting (all sites show images unless you add them to the list). You choose in the options whether you want it to use whitelisting (the default) or blacklisting.

I've been playing with it (chose blacklisting). It will probably work for what I need. I wish it would show he image height/width in the placeholder image it displays, which shows at the same size as the hidden image. So a huge image will take up a lot of space on the page for nothing.

Some of these extensions may be open source. So it's tempting to try updating one to add a few extra features.
Dec 11th, 2017, 05:27 PM

Andrew, that sounds like Wizmage would work out pretty well. I'm with you - letting sites show images unless set not to seems like it would be easier. Sort of the opposite of what you want from Adblock.
Dec 11th, 2017, 05:44 PM

IBobI: Spent only a brief time in the sandbox, missed that link. But, in any case, if I knew I wanted only to see trip reports, that option would be handy as part of a search.
Jan 2nd, 2018, 03:49 PM
Administrator

FYI we are getting close to going live on the new VBulletin forum! At this time we are looking at January 8. I will post something as we firm up this date!
Jan 4th, 2018, 04:31 PM
Administrator

FYI...

https://www.fodors.com/community/for...-january-8.cfm

Search this Thread