Come explore the new Fodor’s Forum

Dec 4th, 2017, 05:03 PM
Administrator
Original Poster

Come explore the new Fodor’s Forum

Hello Fodorites,

The wait is over! As I mentioned in my previous post (https://www.fodors.com/community/for...oming-soon.cfm), Fodor’s forums will be migrating to a new software platform that retains the best of what Fodor’s forums have always been and adds new exciting features on top.

We have created a “sandbox forum” to help you get an understanding of how the new forum will work.

TO LOG INTO THE TEST SANDBOX:
1. Be sure you are logged in at fodors.com/community/ (where you are right now)
2. Click on this link: https://www.fodors.com/vbulletin/

That's it! This “sandbox forum” will not be "live," meaning it is not connected to the Fodor’s database, but it will look and function very closely to what you can expect of the new forum. Posts or changes that you make in the “sandbox forum” will not affect what is on the live forums, nor will anything posted to the live site be migrated to the “sandbox forum” site.

***Please note: there is one way to get back to the current live forum from the “sandbox forum” through clicking your profile link - that is if you specifically click 1) your profile name in the top right corner, or 2) “Your Profile” under “Your Control Panel.” Please be aware this will bring you back to your current profile on the current live forum. Therefore, we recommend you do NOT use your “profile” in the sandbox, but please explore everything else.

You will know when you are in the sandbox forum because there will be a notice in a red box on the top of the page to let you know “THIS IS A TEMPORARY SANDBOX FORUM.” If you do not see this notice on the top of the page, you are back in the current live forum.***

In a few weeks, we will migrate the live forums over to the new spftware platform. When the migration happens, both the current live forum and “sandbox forum” will disappear and be replaced by the new forum. Every post and thread from the current live forum will migrate over to the new forum, but nothing from the “sandbox forum” will transfer.

Please view the Quick Start Guide to learn how to jump in and start creating new posts:

https://www.fodors.com/vbulletin/faq.php

We are excited to bring this to Fodor’s, and we are here to answer any questions you have. We've created a thread here for you to report questions or issues with the Beta Test forum:

https://www.fodors.com/community/for...ech-thread.cfm

We'll be reading and responding to your posts as you make them. Enjoy it, and have fun!

Paul
Dec 4th, 2017, 05:18 PM

Sorry, but I find it visually unattractive and cluttered. Another unwanted instance of "not broken, but we fixed it!"
Dec 4th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Original Poster

@jean the software as it is now, is unsupportable. We have had things like the Report Post button broken for 6 months. Unfortunately, not only is the current forum broken, it cannot be maintained. We realize this is a major change, but please give it a chance. The additional features such as photos, private messages, editing posts, and all the rest, are definitely worth it!
Dec 4th, 2017, 05:35 PM

It's better and much less scary than I expected. I found it somewhat similar to the previously.tv site which I use. I like that it automatically continues a long thread and you don't have to click for the next page.
Dec 4th, 2017, 05:38 PM
Administrator
Original Poster

@Barbara thanks! By the way if you want to see pagination, instead of the single long scroll for threads, you can go to My Settings, Edit Options, Thread Display Options, select Disable Infinite Scroll, and SAVE changes.
Dec 4th, 2017, 05:41 PM

IBobi, that's nice to know. I will almost certainly forget it though!
Dec 4th, 2017, 05:45 PM

I find the columns showing counts for Replies and Views a huge waste of space.

Initially, it's rather hard to look at partly due to the huge and obtrusive orange boxes for Quick Reply, etc., on every single post!

Will past threads migrate over? We dont want to loose valuable history here.
Dec 4th, 2017, 06:01 PM
Administrator
Original Poster

@dayle everything will migrate. Right now we are using a static snapshot of an old Fodors database (why most posts are from August and earlier) but then we go live, everything will come over.
Dec 4th, 2017, 06:33 PM
kja

The features I have used so far seem to work, but it's definitely going to take me a while to adjust. At least on first reflection, it seems that I'm seeing a lot of information that holds absolutely no value for me, while the information that does matter to me seems to be getting lost in the process. So my initial impression is quite mixed -- some pros, some cons....

Thanks for giving us this opportunity to play in the sandbox.
Dec 4th, 2017, 07:15 PM

I think there is a lot of information given and it might be scary.

However, I also think it is like a new car with a lot of bells and whistles that one does not use.

I don't want to ignore anyone or block anyone.
Dec 4th, 2017, 07:42 PM

It's very slow to respond on my brower, Firefox. I'll try again later.

There is a lot of junk there, way too much stuff. Why is it so cluttered where this is just clean and simple.

Yes I know it has to change, but the clutter was one reason I never spent a lot of time on TA and a few others. I'm sure it will get better as time goes on.
Dec 4th, 2017, 07:48 PM
kja

I'm not sure I understand the "ignore" function -- can someone explain? Is it limited to private messaging?
Dec 4th, 2017, 11:42 PM
Administrator
Original Poster

@kja if you ignore someone, you won’t see their posts.
Dec 4th, 2017, 11:59 PM
kja

@ IBobi: Thanks for explaining! Seems like a strange option, though -- IME, it's easy enough to ignore a post.
Dec 5th, 2017, 12:18 AM

I am a little weirded out with knowing who is online; I also feel this way about other social platforms. I feel like I am invading personal space.

I don't understand the "ignore" function, either. Won't ignoring posts confuse the conversation thread? If someone ignores my posts, they will not know what I may have contributed to the discussion and then possibly repeat what information I provided. I do not find anything useful about this feature.

The "Thread Starter" forum name disappears when someone posts. Andrew started the "Is Paris Overrated?" thread, to which I responded. Now the thread reads:

"Is Paris Overrated?"
by fourfortravel

And I think the emojis are too big.
Dec 5th, 2017, 12:21 AM

Kja-the only site that I have seen it on before (at least used) is one where the mods were jerks and let the trolls run wild. But under the current fodors system, there’s not much of point, no lounge lol
Dec 5th, 2017, 12:41 AM

I’ve got to admit that’s not half bad. I was worried it would be more like TripAdvisor which is too divided for me. I’m not going to use message- I think it’s a stupid forum feature- same with ignore- I don’t like the quote feature, it gets tiresome. And ew, I agree with fourfortravel about knowing whose online.

BUT otherwise the layout is similar to this forum, and I’m REALLY excited to have a photo attachment option!

Is there a way to book mark threads? I mean other than what we do now which is just comment bookmarking. Because that would be an improvement
Dec 5th, 2017, 01:16 AM

Personally a little disappointed with the look of this new forum.
I understand that Internet Brands owns vBulletin software and I will hope that because of this you can make some adjustments that are being given in this discussion.
Here are my thoughts just added in a random way, with no order of priority.
Rather bland, whilst orange is the colour of Fodor's corporate image. It does not work with this layout. Hopefully some borders can be changed in both width and colour to add kerb side appeal.
There are obviously no avatars in the sandbox, will there be any when live?
If you ignore troublesome posters on the forum then how can these be reported when they, for instance, insult you? This sort of defeats the objective of keeping the forum a happier community.
Are you going to allow new members to be able to add attachments to a post right away? The same with ending PMs? If these restrictions are implicated then it could help to stop spammers.
The tile of thread starter is not sitting well for me. Are there some alternatives please.
On you FAQs will you be able to quickly add new explanations to Acronyms? I have one already-- PM for private message.
Can we turn off PMs?
After doing a search you cannot get back to the original section of the forum you was looking at. Let me explain... Say you want to read all of the new posts. Search for that using the button provided. See nothing of interests then how do you get back to the section of the forum you was reading? The only way at the moment is to hit the back button on the browser.
Can an up arrow be installed because having to scroll to the top again via the browser is so old forum

Overall I can see that this new software is a big improvement over the old one.
Dec 5th, 2017, 01:44 AM

Well...if you don’t see someone insult you, then you can’t get offended and escalate. Harmony right there. If the insult was a personal attack- racist, or obscene- then presumably other people would report them. But in any case- very easy to solve, don’t ignore anyone.

I can’t think of anyone I’d want to ignore. The only time I’ve used the feature on other forums it’s been something extreme like red pill fans or white nationalists. But I think sometimes sniping and snide remarks can derail threads here sometimes. If the ignore feature stops some of that crap, I’m all for it.
Dec 5th, 2017, 02:01 AM

Also re; scrolling to the top

I don’t know how it appears on a desk top. But on my mobile, the little bar that shows up at the bottom has page numbers. Hit the “back” page arrow on the bar and it takes you back to the top- works as an up arrow- no more scrolling!

« Previous Thread | - »
Search this Thread