Trip report missing?

Nov 9th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Trip report missing?

I noticed that one of my trip reports is now missing from my Activity page. The trip report is referenced in post #3 in this thread, Central coast California. Is there a reason for its disappearance?
Nov 9th, 2018, 12:53 PM
Forum Moderator

There was a thread cleanup recently of threads which:

Had fewer than 10 people viewing them in the past year
Did not have been posted in for over 1 year
Had fewer than 3 replies ever
Nov 9th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that information.
Nov 9th, 2018, 05:58 PM
kja

Originally Posted by moderator8 View Post

Why?
I often find value in threads that are old, but deal with a place or question of little general interest.
And if you are going to delete threads, can't you publish your intent so people can top threads they want to keep for one reason or another?
Nov 9th, 2018, 06:14 PM
kja

BTW, my understanding of the promises made to Fodorites upon launching the new Fodor's Forum was that we would always have access to our trip report. See, for example, ibobi's post # 1 on this thread, specifically, the statement that we would be able to "Quickly find the posts or threads you’re looking for, including all [emphasis added] your own historical comments and trip reports
New Fodor’s forum -- coming soon!

Growl.
Nov 9th, 2018, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by moderator8 View Post

Does deletion of a thread require any one of the three or all of the three?
Nov 10th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Forum Moderator

All of the three
Nov 10th, 2018, 07:56 AM

So, to preserve any trip report without 3 replies, reply to it enough times to reach 3.
Nov 10th, 2018, 07:59 AM

Has IB backed up the deleted threads in case there is a reason to keep the older threads whose preservation was promised? After all, they were deleted without warning.
Nov 13th, 2018, 05:23 PM
kja

No comment or explanation or reply of any sort from IB?
Nov 13th, 2018, 05:28 PM
Forum Moderator

IBObi is out thru the 16th
Nov 13th, 2018, 06:00 PM
kja

@ moderator8: Thanks for the update.
Nov 16th, 2018, 11:04 AM

Sorry about your lost reports, kja. This post got me worried because I often share my old TRs with friends as resources (and otherwise I barely remember my trips). Thanks to the new format, I was easily able to save my trip reports as PDFs. To do that, click on the report, then THREAD TOOLS then SHOW PRINTABLE VERSION. Then to go to 'print' and scroll down to a tiny link - 'see PDF in preview.' Then EXPORT AS PDF and you can save a formatted version of your report on your desktop or in your downloads.
Nov 16th, 2018, 11:31 AM

After a nasty loss of a post in progress, I have written my trip reports on a word processor and copied them into the Fodors posting box, so I have the trip report on my computer automatically. I don't have the comments, however.

Maybe IB will say something about this. We are the content. Don't alienate any further users.
Nov 16th, 2018, 07:05 PM
kja

Thanks, crosscheck and AJPeabody, for posting on ways to save things outside of Fodor’s! Fortunately, I’ve used both methods for many years, and so AFAIK, I haven’t lost anything personally. BUT this deletion of threads bothers me for two different reasons:

Sometimes, it’s the information in a rare question of little general interest that is most valuable. We all have access to a wide variety of information about major destinations – guidebooks and internet resources and trip reports and planning threads…. But we have very few sources of information on the places that are off the beaten trail, and of course, those are posts that aren’t likely to get a lot of attention (and so were most likely to qualify for IB's unannounced purge). I’m not going to take the time to do the relevant searches, but I doubt very much that you’ll find much on Gračišće or Hattuşa or Buyeo or Gedong Songo or any number of other places -- except, perhaps, on the trip reports or planning threads I filed that included them. To remove the information that might actually be most useful to people who actually do want to go a bit off the beaten trail, when so many posters say that’s what they want to do, strikes me as unwise.

The other thing that really bothers me is the principle of the thing: We were promised that our posts would remain available. IIRC, several people posted questions about it before the switchover, and the answer was always that no one should worry – they would not be removed. But some HAVE been removed, and without warning. I admit that I find that seriously problematic.

FWIW, it seems to me that IB has a choice: If it wants to compete with TripAdvisor, I think it is doomed. If it wants to fill a niche that is not filled by TA, I would like to think it has a chance. And if it’s to do that, I think it needs to identify and build on the strengths of its current regulars, rather than turning us away and eliminating some of the few things that make this travel site unique. JMO.

Last edited by kja; Nov 16th, 2018 at 07:57 PM.
Nov 16th, 2018, 09:06 PM

"The Purge." I like the name, hate the action. Did they back up? Will they restore? People want to know.

Reverse the Purge!
Nov 19th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Hi all,

Thank you for your notes on the missing trip report.

A short time ago, for SEO purposes, we looked at all the threads on Fodor's forums and determined that there were a number of threads with little to no activity over a long period of time -- no views, no replies, etc. -- and they were causing a drag on our Google traffic that feeds the forums and creates new users. We decided the best way to take care of that was to delete these threads that were not of interest to the Fodor's community.

As explained, the bar that a thread needed to rise above in order to be preserved was very low. 10 views in a year. Or one reply in a year. Or 3 replies, ever.

A thread not reaching that minimum threshold would have been deleted, because nobody was interested in it.

We do have a rollback mechanism in place for all of these threads, but we would only use it if there was a demonstrable reason for it, i.e. we accidentally deleted threads we should not have. We will not be restoring threads that were deleted which fall short of the criteria listed, because those unviewed, un-replied-to threads were causing our Google rank to plummet, and deleting them will supply Fodor's forums with fresh viewers and new members in the weeks and months and years to come.

Please let me know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Paul
Nov 19th, 2018, 02:39 PM

Well explained. Would wish that an announcement prior to deletion had been made. Please do so before the next cleanout, or move "to be deleted" threads to their own "forum" so that specially desired but low use threads could be flagged for preservation.
Nov 19th, 2018, 06:03 PM
kja

I think AJPeabody has given some great suggestions!

And whenever a change is planned that violates the promises made to us, I think an announcement would be in order. I think Fodorites are generally a rational group who will appreciate the reasons for a change, if given an explanation -- and a way to take action or raise concerns if we see a problem. Giving us the courtesy of that kind of heads-up would, I think, be much appreciated.

Last edited by kja; Nov 19th, 2018 at 06:06 PM.

Search this Thread