moderation and closing threads.

Dec 2nd, 2018, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

moderation and closing threads.

Could someone have the courtesy to explain the apparent lack of consistency in undertaking the work of moderation?
The story is;
I took time out to inform the members of this website about the actions of the gilet jaunes in Europe.
two threads were closed, with no explanation to me or on the forum at in a final post.
These actions were, to say the least, baffling. Now that a third thread, not started my me has been allowed to stay and prosper, the moderation standards have now become totally unfathomable.
Dec 3rd, 2018, 06:14 AM

I started the "Is Paris Burning" thread because the two previous Yellow Jacket threads had been closed without explanation. I crafted it to be about tourism so as to avoid moderation closure, and that succeeded. When I declared this as part of a post in that thread, that part of the post was removed by moderation editing.

Of course, the unrest in Paris is not tourism friendly. Nevertheless, all the reports indicate that most of tourist Paris is unaffected. This knowledge is important. It should be communicated despite the current moderation activity.

I have deduced two things:

1. The first rule of Fight Club applies: On Fodors, no one talks about Fodor's Moderation.

2. "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil." Or, "It is allowed only to be very nice, even if that may be inaccurate."

AJ
Dec 3rd, 2018, 08:58 AM

I don't think they are picking on you. From what I've observed threads are usually locked when they turn political, or when they go off the rails and way off topic and turn into cat fights. There was probably nothing wrong with your two threads until some Fodorites started injecting politics.
Dec 3rd, 2018, 01:44 PM
Administrator

^^^likely correct
Dec 3rd, 2018, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to posts 2 and 3 for taking your time out in trying to give some sort of expatiation.
Post 2 I never ever posted anything that could be conjectured as political. However, if that was a problem for this forum than maybe they should have closed one or two others. But they have not.
Your statement that "all the reports indicate that most of tourist Paris is unaffected" is perhaps rather naive. Civil unrest does affect everyone in some way. And that is why I thought it was important to post the information, including a link to the public transport closures. These demos where not only in Paris, as I have stated in the closed threads.
These are the important facts.
Post 3. I never said that I was being picked on. what I have said that two threads that gave important up dates about the situation were closed without due notice why. There has been correction to one of the posts in the third thread undertaken by a mod. (as stated in post 2 above) and that has add to my exasperation on how this matter is begin dealt with.
Are you saying that if someone wants to politicize a response than the thread gets closed? If that is the case what a way to moderate a forum. If that is the case then the trolls will easily get their way. That is so sad.
Moving on to post 3. That response does not helps and to be honest amplifies the questions about the questionable moderation going on here.
Dec 4th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Now the third thread has gone all political. With memebrs psoting what appers to be their own take on what is going on. There are no civil unrest at the moment.Quote as publish i have not changed the spelling errors.
The photos and video of the Arc de Triumph are terrible. I don't get it - if they are opposed to a gas hike increase they must be opposed to increased taxes to pay for the damage or that funds will be diverted from other needed services - the need for the damage/increase being created by their destruction. We have gas hike increases all the time here in our city (some imposed by the state, some local) and we've never had such extreme riots. What is going on?
what has this got to do with the travel situation?
The state has a long history of backing down when things get noisy on the streets, not all the time, but enough to make it worthwhile.
If that is not a political and non tourist statement I do not know what is.
Some reasearches tried to mesure the IQ of a crowd. It is abysmall.
Basically we tend to say that in a crowd of 100, if 10 behave like you they are imbeciles, the 90 others being morons.
I tend to avoid crowds...
Just puerile insults and certainly not travel related.

Newspapers are full of conjecture about what is planned for the coming weekend. But these are not facts I will not be adding them to this forum. The news is not in English as far as I can see.

Search this Thread