How come i can't comment on articles?

Dec 19th, 2018, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

How come i can't comment on articles?

As best I remember it used to be possible to post comments on articles on Fodors, but this is not currently the case. Today's lead article, stating that the world's first travel writer was a Japanese woman, is just flat out wrong. The first travel writer was a Greek, Pausanias, writing almost a thousand years earlier. The article is public, there should be a way for me to correct it in public.
Dec 19th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Administrator

I'm not even sure how long it's been -- at least 18 months? At some point they may add the ability to comment back in. Stay tuned!

As to the correction, I will pass it along to the editorial staff, thank you,

Paul
Dec 22nd, 2018, 12:15 PM

I can't imagine letting people correct published articles that have an author. Ity would be a mess and who knows whether it would be accurate or not. But that article has a listed author.

In fact, if you read the article she refers to Pausanias and makes a distinction between a geography/guidebook and travel writing, I believe. In fact, I agree there is a distinction, I would not call Fodors guidebooks travel literature, for example. I haven't read either one of those old documents, Pausanias is in the NYPL and in fact, inspired Tony Perrotet's hilarious book about Roman tourists, Pagan Holiday.

this is the book
Amazon Amazon

So you may not agree with her opinion but I don't see anything to correct about that article. I have no idea if that is correct about the Japanese lady, of course, but am sure she didn't make that up and read it somewhere else, of course.
Dec 22nd, 2018, 05:39 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Christina View Post
I can't imagine letting people correct published articles that have an author. Ity would be a mess and who knows whether it would be accurate or not. But that article has a listed author.
The OP asked about posting a comment, not a correction. Seemed to me a question worth asking!
Dec 22nd, 2018, 06:00 PM

Christina . . . We ain't talking wiki here. Thursdaysd merely wanted to post a comment.

Search this Thread