Help with Sicily search

Oct 9th, 2018, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Help with Sicily search

I haven't been on the forum for a couple years, so a little rusty. I'm trying to get travel reports and general info about Sicily. When I go to "Italy", then to "travel reports", I type "Sicily" in the search box, I get all kinds of information/threads from Morocco to Pisa, but nothing specific to Sicily. We will be going in November/December of 2019 (two retired folks) for a one-month stay. We are both well-traveled, but want to stay at one home base on this trip, and take driving day (or overnight) excursions. In the late 1990's I bicycled around Sicily for about 10 days, but I imagine a lot has changed since then. So the research is in its infancy and we could use any help. Thank you Fodor's family
Oct 9th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Try:

Search
Advanced Search
TAG: Italy
Keyword: Sicily
Find threads with prefix: Trip Report
Click SEARCH NOW

If you also only want threads with "sicily" in the title, change SEARCH ENTIRE POSTS to SEARCH TITLES ONLY
Oct 9th, 2018, 06:16 PM
kja

Visiting Sicily with a single base is difficult -- the distances between locations is simply not conducive to using bases. Depending on their interests, most people find that they end up with any number of two- and three-night stays, even some one-nighters. The most logical bases for any length of time are Palermo and Ortigia, but again, depending on your interests, you might find it necessary to select a greater number of locations for your overnights.

ibobi has given you the advice you need to find Fodorites' trip reports that cover Sicily. I would also strongly urge you to consult a couple of good guidebooks. Of the half dozen I used when planning my time in Sicily, the one I found most useful was the Rough Guide.
Oct 11th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Just what I needed! Whee! Here we go.....
Oct 11th, 2018, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Oops...as I mentioned in my initial post, I'm rusty. Didn't realize the last post would just be placed at the bottom....it was meant as a reply to ibobi.
Oct 11th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

KJA - thanks for the input. The reason we have one base is that we rented a villa for the entire month right on the water north of Palermo, on the Bay of Mondello. We realize we will need to do over-nighters...not a problem. We can afford to take our time (I don't mean monetarily - but time wise, we can travel at a nice pace since we'll be there for over 30 days). I'll be sure to follow up with your "Rough Guide" suggestion and the threads on this website now that I know how to access them.
Oct 11th, 2018, 06:13 PM
kja

Aah, now I understand. Palermo is, IMO, a delight, so you've chosen a good place for your base. Once you've done a bit more research, you might want to start a new thread on the Europe forum with any questions you have.

Search this Thread