Disappearing Thread

Feb 9th, 2018, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Disappearing Thread

Hi Fodor's Folks,

On What's For Dinner thread today, my entry disappeared. When I hit 'restore auto-saved content', it printed YESTERDAY's post! Something is wrong.

I had block-saved some of today's posts but not all so lost them.

Thnaks, TDude
Feb 9th, 2018, 07:46 AM
Forum Moderator

Sorry, not following . . Are you saying that posts have disappeared from that thread?
Feb 9th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Administrator

I'm also not understanding. It sounds like you had written a post yesterday and not posted it, so when you hit SUBMIT today that's what got posted.
Feb 9th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

The post is there on the 7th. Even if I forgot to post, would it remain overnight with computer shut down and new info saved? Lots on WFD, but if you get the chance, please look at some of the problems we are having losing posts. I have suggested that people block save their posts if they look at any links--that's when mine usually go away. The Restore doesn't always pop up.

Best, TDude

Last edited by TDudette; Feb 9th, 2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Best NOT Beset
Feb 9th, 2018, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TDudette View Post
The post is there on the 7th. Even if I forgot to post, would it remain overnight with computer shut down and new info saved? Lots on WFD, but if you get the chance, please look at some of the problems we are having losing posts. I have suggested that people block save their posts if they look at any links--that's when mine usually go away. The Restore doesn't always pop up.

Best, TDude
I'm sorry -- we are missing something here. If you could, please carefully and clearly state what the issue is. It seems like you are saying that you are making posts on the What's for dinner thread in the Lounge, but then when you next check the thread, they are not there. Is that what's happening? Are you also indicating that others are having such issues and are discussing it there? If so, please direct them to this tech support thread. Also I do not know what "block save" means.
Feb 10th, 2018, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Sorry not to be clear enough. In the midst of posting on WFD, if I switch to a link (say for a recipe) someone has posted in WFD, I can lose what I've written.

I did suggest folks contact you and gave them this thread.

With my Mac, I can highlight what I've written and save it. As in Word or other typing software.
Feb 10th, 2018, 08:14 AM

Just open 2 tabs in your browser, one where you are posting and the other for checking things.
Feb 10th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Forum Moderator

Sorry not to be clear enough. In the midst of posting on WFD, if I switch to a link (say for a recipe) someone has posted in WFD, I can lose what I've written.

I did suggest folks contact you and gave them this thread.

With my Mac, I can highlight what I've written and save it. As in Word or other typing software.
You are not able to copy text now?

I looked at the thread and the posts reporting problems all seem related . . lengthy reply's . . one solution is to compose your reply in Word or NotePad and then copy and paste it in the reply box. Some appear to be losing
their connection while composing, which often happens on a phone and can happen if the browser refreshes while the reply is being composed. Using Word or Notepad would solve both problems
Feb 11th, 2018, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion, AJP. In the previous format, I usually wrote comments in Word while I scrolled down the WFD posts on the other. BTW, I tried that and it works except upon pasting the comments, extra spacing can occur after hard returns so I have to edt that.

From Mod8: "You are not able to copy text now? "... I don't think I ever wrote that. The problem is the text disappearing and 'restore' not on the page.

"Some appear to be losing their connection while composing, which often happens on a phone and can happen if the browser refreshes while the reply is being composed." That is a pattern I hadn't looked for but shouldn't one be able to restore part of what was written was auto-saved? How often does auto-save occur? And why wouldn't 'restore' appear on the screen right after an auto-save?

Thanks very much for all the time you "guys" have taken with this, TDude
Feb 11th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

PS--I did my posts on Word and pasted them into WFD. Kindly see how the double spacing translated. Thanks, TDude.
Feb 11th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Another thing (still in WFD), the 'Go to Page...' doesn't always go to the page indicated. Unless 'replies' is different? When I go to my posts, there are 228 replies indicated. When i go to the post and type in 228, it takes me to #221.
Feb 11th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Forum Moderator

PS--I did my posts on Word and pasted them into WFD. Kindly see how the double spacing translated. Thanks, TDude.
What version of Word are you using? No double spacing for me with formatting like this

This copied from Word and pasted here:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by moderator8; Feb 11th, 2018 at 12:30 PM.
Feb 12th, 2018, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Word for Mac 2008. Try a double space and see what that does, please.
Feb 12th, 2018, 05:35 AM
Forum Moderator

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Hhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I don't speak Apple very well . . can you see an option for line spacing?
Feb 12th, 2018, 06:10 AM
Forum Moderator

Another thought . .

In My Settings . . Options . . near the bottom, which editor do you have selected?

Feb 13th, 2018, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

OK, switched from Full CKEditor

Stay tuned and again, thanks!
Feb 13th, 2018, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

It worked for the spacing! Yay. Unfortunately, the smileys icon disappeared.

What to do, what to do.
Feb 13th, 2018, 05:19 AM
Forum Moderator

Click Go Advanced".

Last edited by moderator8; Feb 13th, 2018 at 10:33 AM.
Feb 13th, 2018, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.

Search this Thread