Reload this Page >

zurich to zermatt

Search

zurich to zermatt

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 05:13 PM
mike

zurich to zermatt

hi, i'm in zurich on business and would like to head to zermatt during the weekend...is zermatt too far for a weekend? to many trains connections? <BR> <BR>mike

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:18 PM
Ed

Four hours 40 minutes to Zermatt. (www.rail.ch) <BR> <BR>It's an hour less to one of the mountains villages in the Jungfrau region, which I prefer in any event. <BR> <BR>Connections are roughly the same ... 3 or 4. They all work so smoothly, though, they're no problem at all, and certainly shouldn't be a factor in deciding to go or not to go, or where to go. <BR> <BR>If that's too much traveling for you, Luzern is nearby and much worth a visit. Some (small) mountains there too. <BR> <BR>Ed <BR>

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Bob Brown

You can leave Zürich on the train at 7:03 and be in Zermatt at 11:43. The trip from Zürich to Grindelwald, which features a clear view of the Eiger North Wall, is 3:09. <BR> <BR>I spent a week at the base of the Jungfrau last year, and the year before. <BR>Pretty to say the least. <BR>Zermatt offers higher mountains. Ed and I disagree on the subject as to which is better in terms of looking at high mountains. I feel that nothing quite compares with the overpowering view of Monte Rosa and the huge glacier flowing off of it, except possibly for a view over the Grosser Aletschgletscher from a vantage point on the north side of the Rhone. But the most mind boggling view of all is from Saas Grund, where the Dom stretches more than 10,000 feet almost directly above you. You don't really get the full impact of just how hight it is until you go halfway up and it still looks like it is way away. <BR> <BR>In Zermatt, depending on when you are there, I suggest taking the train up to the end station on the Gornergrat. <BR>(the ridge that overlooks Monte Rosa). <BR>If the weather is clear, and not took cold, take the gondola ride up to the Little Matterhorn. You can see well from both rides. <BR>In Saas Fee, up the hill from Saas Grund, there are some lifts that take you up onto the Dom Massif. But for the best view, take the gondola to Hohsass from Saas Grund and look opposite. Awesome is the word. <BR>You will need a car for the trip to Saas Grund, however. No train. <BR>If there is more than one of you, a car would get you there cheaper anyhow. <BR>From Zurich take the Autobahn route to Bern, and Spiez. At Spiez, turn south to Kandersteg. In Kandersteg, you ride the train ferry through the tunnel to Goppenstein. From there you curl down the mountain to the Valley of the Rhone. Then you turn left (east) toward Brig, turning south at Visp for Täsch where you park and take the train to Zermatt. <BR>You did not say when you are going, so weather could be a major factor. <BR> <BR>You may ask why I did not spend my time in Zermatt. I think the mountains are higher and of more character, but the area around Grindelwald, Mürren, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Wilderswil, and Kleine <BR>Scheidegg has more attractions and places to visit. Zermatt is great for two or three days of having your eyes bug out. But we have a virtual second home in Lauterbrunnen that is very comfortable and pleasant for a week or more.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 06:20 PM
mike

thanks, <BR>i think i'll head to muerren which seems to be in the Jungfrau region that everyone recommends. Does anyone have a suggestion for a 3-4 star hotel in muerren? <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 07:13 PM
Bob Brown

Why would you select Mürren over Wengen? <BR>There are more ways to see the mountains from Wengen. First there is the Luftseilbahn that goes to the crest of the Männlichen Ridge, which provides <BR>all encompassing views of the entire Berner Oberland wall of peaks. <BR>And there is the railway that goes up to Kleine Scheidegg from Wengen, from where you can continue on to the Jungfraujoch. <BR>The Jungfraujoch trip is pricey but for a once in a lifetime, it is quite a thrill. From Männlichen you can take the gondola ride to Grindelwald Grund, which also provides a beautiful view of the mountain peaks. From Grindelwald itself, there is the gondola up to a station called First. The ride on a clear day is eye popping. <BR>From Mürren, you can ride up to the Schilthorn, and that is about it. <BR>True, there are some scenic trails in the area, but they are often snow bound and/or muddy until late June, depending on the amount of snow. <BR>If all you want to do is look up from a hotel veranda or terrace, then Mürren affords a good view of the Jungfrau and the Mönch and the Breithorn, with an oblique look at the Eiger. <BR>By the way, to get to Mürren, you must first go to Lauterbrunnen. Then you have a choice: either take the furnicular up the hill to Grutschalp where you transfer to a trainlet to Mürren, or take the post bus to the Luftseilbahn in Stechelberg and ride up to Mürren. Either way involves two changes of conveyance.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 10:43 AM
Ed

Yes, Bob, we do disagree about Muerren and Wengen. It's not really important to me, though. After all, the fewer people visit Muerren, the less crowded it is for me when we get there. <BR> <BR>Why Muerren over Wengen. It's not a count of cable cars that matters. It's the view when you're there. It's the ambience of a much smaller (one-third) mountain village, far more reminiscent of the past. It's the hiking trails. <BR> <BR>If you'd prefer to sit on the balcony with morning coffee in Lauterbrunnen or Wengen, God Bless. We'll start our day, when we're in Switzerland, looking at the spectacular vista offered by Muerren's superb setting. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 01:26 PM
Bob Brown

I like a view that changes as I move. <BR>And I prefer to see the mountains actively, not passively. The views from the various view points of the Männlichen Ridge look at the same peaks as a view from Mürren, but the angle is constantly shifting because the light moves as you move and new photographic opportunities appear as you change the angle, showing the Eiger and the Jungfrau from different perspectives. You also have views over the Interlaken area from the view point at the north end of the Männlichen Ridge. And the Wengen - Männlichen Luftseilbahn is readily available to take you up. <BR>Granted, you get a better view of the Breithorn from Mürren, and it is not far down the hill to Gimelwald where the trail to the Kilchbalm starts. <BR>And the Schilthorn is close at hand, also. Neither Mürren nor Wengen give the same views of the entire range as you can get from the Faulhorn, but the hotels are better!! <BR>I guess it depends on how you want to take in the mountains. <BR>Given my wife's knee problems, I am a candidate for Mürren! <BR>