Zurich to Salzburg by car

Sep 2nd, 2000, 06:38 PM
Susan

Zurich to Salzburg by car

How long will it take to drive from Zurich to Salburg? Will be driving in late September. I would want to make the trip as quickly as possible which probably means bypassing the Alps

Sep 2nd, 2000, 07:51 PM
wes fowler

Susan,
Using autobahns for the most part you can cover the approximately 600 miles in about 5 and a half hours. Make sure your rental is equipped with the windshield vignette that permits travel on Austrian highways and urban roads. Without it, if stopped, you'll face a stiff fine. If not so equipped plan on losing an additional quarter to a half hour purchasing one at or near the Austrian border. Here's some info from the Austrian National Tourist Office:

Motorway subject to toll: Austria's motorways and speed roads (also city motorways) are subject to toll. The toll is effected by purchasing a sticker that has to be attached to cars'
windscreens. The annual toll is ATS 550. - for automobiles and motor homes (up to 3.5 tons), for motorcycles ATS 220. - For people on holidays 2-month stickers (ATS 150.-) and 1-week stickers (ATS 70.-) are available.

Infringements of the toll regulation will be punished with an additional charge of ATS 1,100. - or an administrative fine. The toll stickers may be purchased at automobile clubs in Austria and abroad, at petrol stations and stores close to the border as well at post offices, tobacco shops
and petrol stations all over Austria.

Sep 3rd, 2000, 12:52 AM
harzer

I think you will find Wes's advice excellent, as usual. However, I am pretty sure he meant to write 'kilometres' and not 'miles'. The distance is around 370 miles, and five and a half hours is a fair estimate for your trip time.

Sep 3rd, 2000, 07:14 AM
wes fowler

Susan,
My apologies; I shouldn't be posting advice at midnight! Distance from Zurich to Salzburg is slightly under 300 miles, not 600. The drive time quoted is accurate, nevertheless. You'll see an Alp, by the way, whether you want to or not!

Sep 4th, 2000, 07:25 AM
lydia

You will most definitely 'see an Alp' or two! One of the great joys of driving through that part of Europe is the sight of those mountains, even from the motorways. You will just be sorry that you can't take some time to enjoy them properly. Still, it will be a beautiful drive, so enjoy it.