Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Zurich to Lindau drive or train? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/zurich-to-lindau-drive-or-train-842248/)

FACS May 28th, 2010 09:04 AM

Zurich to Lindau drive or train?

We're flying into Zurich, spending 1 night in Lindau and then heading to Austria. We can save $100 dollars renting the car in Lindau instead of Zurich. We usually rent cars in Europe so we're not familiar with the train costs, schedules, etc... My question- is the $100 savings worth it to train it back and forth from Zurich to Lindau and Lindau to Zurich and rent the car in Lindau. Also, since we will be tired from the flight ,is the 2 hour drive from Zurich to Lindau the area of Lake Constance that has the famous traffic jams? (We would be leaving Zurich about 1 pm on a Sunday to head to Lake Constance)

FACS May 28th, 2010 09:07 AM

I just rechecked and the savings would be $210 NOT $100.

deladeb May 28th, 2010 04:19 PM

ttt

deladeb May 28th, 2010 04:57 PM

The rail europe cost would be the same as the savings...so I guess now my question is...what is the drive like from Zurich to Lindau on a Sunday afternoon? Thanks, FACS/Deladeb

swandav2000 May 28th, 2010 09:57 PM

Hi guys,

Pleasepleaseplease do not use Raileurope to get fares for point-point train tickets. They usually over-charge.

Instead, use the Swiss rail site at

www.rail.ch

Its schedule will be complete, and its fares will be exact.

This trip will take 1h49 with no changes. It costs 44 chf.

I use the trains at every chance I can -- they make me feel more like I am really in Europe (one can take a road trip pretty much anywhere), and I like to travel among Europeans. Also, of course, taking the trains is more green, yaaaaaay!!

s

swandav2000 May 28th, 2010 10:01 PM

ok, I just checked the Raileurope site to compare the prices. They are charging $79 for this trip.

$79 = 91 chf

44 chf = $38

So if you buy through the Swiss rail folks, you pay $38 per person, versus $79 from Raileurope.

s

kleeblatt May 28th, 2010 10:45 PM

The savings aren't worth it. It's so much easier to be able to drive back to the airport upon your return than stopping in Lindau and then taking the train back. However, Lindau is a nice town and worth a stop.

Cowboy1968 May 28th, 2010 11:15 PM

Upsides:
- save $210 minus train tickets $38pP/per trip. If you are 2 people you can do the math. The difference will not be huge, eventually, maybe just enough for your first dinner in Lindau.
- when arriving from overseas with a possible jet lag at ZRH, you won't have to drive to your 1st destination/hotel. IMO this might be a more valuable point than saving $50 or not.
- ZRH train station is right in /under the airport. If you need to wait for the train, there are several cafes/bistros right there to kill time.

Downsides:
- as schuler said.. another procedure in Lindau.. if the rental car drop off was near or at the station, it could be very easy though. You should check where the rental car location is in Lindau.
- being restricted to certain times to be in Lindau again to meet train timetable

To summarize it:
I'd say on your day of arrival, the train to Lindau would be a good idea. On your day of departure, it may add more inconvenience. I think you need to decide if the upsides outweigh the downsides or vice versa.

deladeb May 29th, 2010 08:26 AM

Swandav2000, schuler and Cowboy1968...thank-you for the info
The only question I have now is- Will we get caught in the Lake Constance traffic jam leading into Lindau coming from Zurich by car?...we experienced this nightmare a couple years ago coming to Lindau from Stein am Rhein.