Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Zurich round trip - Need two week itinerary

Jan 11th, 2007, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

My husband, teenage son and I have on hold frequent flyer tickets round trip Zurich in July. We would like to rent a car and are thinking about going to Lucerne and then to Northern Italy and then back to Zurich. Does this make sense. Any suggestions on where to go would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jan 11th, 2007, 01:41 AM

Depending on where exactly you want to visit, a rental car might not be the ideal solution. Especially Zürich to Luzern, where a car is a) much slower and b) you will spend half the driving time again looking for parking in Luzern. The situation is even worse in Züich itself and in many Italian cities too.
Jan 11th, 2007, 05:23 AM

We're flying into Zurich and doing a 2-week tour of the Lake area (Como & Maggiore) plus a week in Piedmont.

If you want to visit Lucerne, I would recommend staying in Weggis and taking a short boat ride into Lucerne. 2-3 days in that area would sufficient. Then drive down to Lake Como & Maggiore. You could spend 7-8 days in the area, maybe split up your time between the 2 lakes. Drive back to Zurich (about 3 hours), turn in the rental car, and maybe spend the last day or so in Zurich.
Jan 11th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Sure, it makes great sense.
Go to www.onelittleworld.com and find their trip report and pics for a similar trip. I would not get the car until Lugano and also return it there. With 2 weeks you can do 4 destinations. Consider Luzern one way and the Berner Oberland the other.
Jan 11th, 2007, 08:17 AM

BOSTONGIRL,

Several yezrs ago we took a similar trip. We flew to Zurich, and took the train from the airport to Lucerne.

We spent two nights there, then took the train to Venice via Milan.

We had been to Venice before, and spent two nights there. Then we took the train to Siena, and spent three nights, then went to Monterosso (Cinque Terre) for three nights.

We took the train back to Zurich, spent the night, and flew home.

I know, I know--most Fodorites will say we moved about too much, but we remember it as being one of our favorite trips.

I know you will plan a wonderful trip.

Byrd