Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Zurich or Salzberg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/zurich-or-salzberg-738702/)

kmwhill Sep 24th, 2007 06:46 PM

Zurich or Salzberg

We are traveling to Paris and Munich in May. We will go through Strasbourg, but will also have time to see either Zurich, Switzerland or Salzberg, Austria and we'd like opinions on which would be best. We will be traveling with my mother, my husband and our two young children. We like good food, beautiful scenery, some shopping, some history, etc. Any thoughts from the experts? Thanks!

GBC Sep 24th, 2007 06:58 PM

Salzberg would be an easy pick for me.

lucy_d Sep 24th, 2007 07:08 PM

Another vote for Salzburg.

Grcxx3 Sep 24th, 2007 07:28 PM

yup - Salzburg. That's a "no-brainer!"

bob_brown Sep 24th, 2007 09:03 PM

Given the choice between Zürich and Salzburg, that is a binary choice; one or the other but not both with nothing in between, I would pick Salzburg.

That is a strange combination because the two are so widely separated geographically. I hope you are prepared for sticker shock when you look at the dollar to euro exchange rate.

That €25 euro dinner may sound like good deal until you realize that it costing you $35.00. So 5 times 35 is $175.00 for a fairly ordinary dinner.

If you are driving, gasoline will run you about $6.00 a gallon. I bought gas this summer, but to be honest with you, I just shut my eyes and paid.

kleeblatt Sep 24th, 2007 10:57 PM

How much time do you have? Salzberg is a bit out of the way from Münich. Are you driving or going by train?

nytraveler Sep 25th, 2007 09:26 AM

Salzburg - much more of a tourist destination and a smaller town with good day trips.

Zurich is a larger city, business oriented - and while there are certainly things to interest the tourist - it's not the focus of city life.

EuroJen Sep 25th, 2007 09:36 AM

I also vote for Salzburg--charming lots of great food and entertainment. There is plenty to do--you will love it and not feel you are just in a business district in a European city.

Adrian45 Sep 25th, 2007 10:50 AM

Another vote for Salzburg. You can take the children to Mozart's haus, to Mirabell park, to Hellbrun castle with its special fountains, a tour of the lakes..

valtor Sep 25th, 2007 10:58 AM

Salzburg, of course! And you can visit also one of the castles of Ludwig II, with a mirror hall copy of this in versailles, in Herrnchimsee island.

traveldawg Sep 25th, 2007 04:06 PM

Been to both towns more than one time. My vote: SALZBURG!

We were there again with friends in June. Stayed at the BRISTOL HOTEL. I highly recommend this hotel. Great location and nice people running the place. It was HQ for many of the SOUND OF MUSIC stars in the 60s. Reasonably priced.

Also recommend WILDERS RESTAURANT. Casual, good food and ask for Robert the owner. Great guy and host!

AisleSeat Sep 25th, 2007 04:09 PM

Salzburg is 2 hours by train from Munich. Zurich is way out of the way. The kids will love Salzburg. Rent the Sound of Music and show it to them before the trip. Unless you have some banking to do in Zurich go to Salzburg.

kluzo Sep 26th, 2007 11:09 AM

There are not so many interesting places in Zurich exept the lake and Banhofstrasse for shopping.
Salzburg is my vote.

LLindaC Sep 26th, 2007 12:05 PM

the expresas train from Munich to Salzburg is a bit less than 2 hours and a pretty ride (except I slept most of the way, lol) Salzburg is an incredible city and I don't generally like cities. You'll wish you had more time there and less in Munich.

gruezi Sep 26th, 2007 12:10 PM

Well, I live in Zurich and it's a very pretty city with plenty to see and do and a fantastic QOL but I wouldn't call it a vacation destination. With the group you have with you, I also would vote for Salzburg - to me it's more of a big town than a city, but there is a lot to do there and in the environs with your family. It's quite a scenic area as well.

simpsonc510 Sep 26th, 2007 12:18 PM

Although Zurich's Bahnhofstrasse is just about my favorite shopping place in Europe, I have to say that Salzburg would get my vote for the best stop for you, as tourists.

Zurich is a wonderful city, with history, beauty, and great for walking. It just isn't quite the tourist stop that Salzburg is. I've been to Zurich too many times to count, and I've been to S'burg only once.