Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Zurich...hotels??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/zurich-hotels-178455/)

NYGirl Aug 21st, 2001 12:10 PM

Zurich...hotels???

I need some help finding a good hotel in Zurich. This is my first time visiting this city and I think I want to stay somewhere out of the city to enjoy the mountains and country, but I could be wrong because I don't know what is there. I'm going beginning of October...any tips...

pete Aug 21st, 2001 12:12 PM

Hotel Central right across from main train station is quite nice. Good rooms and service. Easy access to the train station for those day trips, etc. The hotel is listed on several web pages do a search for it. It is right down town so easy walks to all the main points as well. Close to main shopping street (Banhofstrasse) and to old town as well.

s Aug 21st, 2001 12:34 PM

NYGirl, <BR>I think you are trying to do separate things here. If you want to visit Zurich (a nice option if you enjoy the vibrancy of a city), you should stay in Zurich; if you want to visit the mountains and country of Switzerland, you'll be going some ways outside of Zurich -- about three hours by train (you can catch the train at the Zurich airport). Good areas for mountains & countryside are the Berner Oberland villages of Muerren, Wengen, and Grindelwald, but October may not be the best time to visit the mountains. You can get a great overview of the country and all of its diversity by visiting two websites: www.twenj.com/swissvisit.htm <BR>www.myswitzerland.com <BR> <BR>The first is an extremely detailed and extensive personal website operated by folks who really enjoy the country; the second is the official site of the national tourist office. <BR> <BR>Now back to your question. I really enjoy the Hotel Ermitage in Kusnacht on the Zurichsee. It's about 20 minutes by S-Bahn but about a 10 minute walk from the Kusnacht train station. The website is www.ermitage.ch <BR> <BR>Have a great time! <BR> <BR>s

richard j vicek Aug 22nd, 2001 12:56 PM

Good evening, NY GIRL???????? <BR>Might suggest staying in Luzern which <BR>is only 55 mins rail from Zurich, this <BR>gives you access to Rigi, Pilatus and <BR>Titlis and Lake Lucerne and about 2hrs+- <BR>to Interlaken and the Berneroberland <BR>time to Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen <BR>about 30 mins additional... <BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Mika Aug 22nd, 2001 02:37 PM

Greetings from Switzerland, I agree with Richard, I would not stay in Zürich,unless I had to for business. The other possibility for you is Berne and the mountains near it. The city is prettier than Luzern.If the weather is bad in october, it is better to stay in a town. Berne is a little over an hour away by train from Zürich.

Leslie Aug 22nd, 2001 03:04 PM

In Zurich, I stayed at the Sofitel (right near the train station), which was expensive and luxurious. Also spent 1 night at the Movenpick, which was find, but like a Holiday Inn. I loved Lucerne, and stayed at the Hotel Ambassador, a very moderately priced 4 star hotel, which was just a short walk to the train station, the Chapel Bridge and the Lion Monument. The service at the hotel was phenomenal.