Zurich - Hotel Tiefenau or Helmhaus?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be spending 1 night in Zurich in July. I can't decide between the Hotel Tiefenau or the Helmhaus. Both are about the same price for a superior double. I have done a search, but can't find recent info. All comments welcome.
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:32 PM

Hello Barb,
The Helmhaus is more centrally located -- on the busy Limmatquai -- and might be more convenient for just one night.
However, I love the Tiefenau as well.
If you really care for a quiet place, then it's the Tiefenau which has also a wonderful restaurant in its garden.
I think you can't go wrong with either, but depends what exactly you're looking for. If you want to have a stroll in the evening, you'll find the Helmhaus a little more convenient, not that the Tiefenau is far away though.
In my opinion, not easy to decide.
The Tiefenau is a touch more upscale, I'd say.
Hope this helps a bit.
Enjoy Zurich!
Old May 21st, 2003, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info, Ursala. Your reply was exactly what I was looking for. On second thought, however, I am thinking that these might be a little too expensive. (About $215 per night) Could you recommend another hotel, in the same class as the other two, that might not be as costly. (About $175 [per night) We do not want to be in an area that's noisy at night.
Thanks again for your help.

Barb
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:26 PM

Hi again Barb,
You might want to try the Hotel Scheuble*** which is located very closely to the train station.
Clean, renovated, more or less quiet at night and very close to the Niederdorf area where you'll find lots of places to eat or just for a stroll in the evening.
I've recommended it numerous times here and it gets good feedback.
You might want to have a look at its web page.
Price is also right and, of course, it's less expensive, as a 3-star opposed to the two others which are pretty upscale 4-stars.
Breakfast buffet is included in the prices given which should be in your price range (USD 175.-).
www.scheuble.ch
Have a look.
If you want even cheaper, have a look at the full hotel list at
www.zurichtourism.ch where you can also run a specific search for a specific price range.
Come back, if you need more advice.
Old May 21st, 2003, 11:21 PM

Sorry, didn't see that part of your question before. Need another cup of coffee, I think...
I don't think you will find a 4-star hotel with 3-star prices, not in Zurich or anywhere else.
The Scheuble or any other 3-star in Zurich should be fine, especially if it's just for one night.