Luggage in Europe

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luggage in Europe

As some of you remember, I just planned my honeymoon for Austria and Italy. I have been using the same suitcase for 8 years and on last year's trip to Selvacava, it finally saw its last voyage.

I am not sure if this is the right forum, but I was wondering if there are any recommendations on a good decent size and durable suitcase to use or if there are any websites where I can reserach this topic.

Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:42 AM
ira

Hi N,

Lots of folks have suggested that a 21" rollaboard is the best one to have.

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:49 AM

I've purchased some things at ebags.com, and have found their selection and prices to be very good.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:10 AM

A company that always scores very well in tests reported in the press is TravelPro. I believe that company is also very popular with airline crews. There was a related article in last Friday's Wall Street Journal which rated various wheeled bags; not sure if you can see in online. Although I must say that unless you travel for much of the year, I would think that a good bag should last longer than eight years. My old bags were Lark, which lasted a good 20 years of very frequent travel; I now use Andiamo, which are going strong after about 5-6 years.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Further to my earlier post, I agree that TravelPro bags are excellent. I purchased one a couple of years ago and it is excellent.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:28 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've had really cheap bags and pretty expensive ones - but my old reliable TravelPro 19 inch rollaboard works best for me. Every feature I want and none of the extras I don't need.

But 19 inches might be too small if you aren't a packing nazi (as I've been called more than once on this forum)

I would recommend a 21 incher - that extra 2 inches may not seem like a lot but it makes a big difference. And a 21 inch expandable might be even better. Don't expand it at the beginning of your trip - wait until you are heading home. Then you'll have a lot more space for all the special mementos you buy along the way.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a 22" and a 24" rolling suitcase (I use one or the other not both) plus a small rolling tote for carry-on (which piggy backs on the suitcase upon arrival). None were expensive purchases.

If I was buying new I would investigate to find the absolutely lightest weight when empty available.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:43 AM

I have a set of Roncato hard luggage in pink. Yes, I look like travel Barbie, but it is durable and I never mistake someone else's bag for my own. I don't know their sizes, but the set I have has 3: one huge, one smaller (great for just 1 week), and a choo choo bag for make up and toiletries. Ver comfortable and since I have been using a hard case, nothing has broken.

Claire
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:01 AM

I recommend ebags, especially when using their comparison chart.

I also recommend Briggs and Riley for DURABILITY...

I know a lot of people like TravelPro products but when you actually handle one of those and a B+R comparable..you'll be able to tell the difference in quality.

BUT, do you want to spend that much more money for a bag that will last that long????
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:38 AM

one suggestion - no matter which brand you buy, don't buy a black suitcase. It seems like the majority of people use black ones and there's always the crush of people at the baggage claim trying to find out which black bag is theirs. I have a tapestry bag, and it stands out like a sore thumb, so I can always find it easily.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:03 AM

One of the most recommended brands of luggage for business travellers is Atlantic Luggage. It's made in Pennsylvania, and every member of our family has a piece of this luggage. My daughter and I both took a 22 inch rolling suitcase to Europe last year, and the luggage was great! It held up perfectly to airline baggage handlers, being hauled through London, Paris and Rome, and several train journeys. I really recommend this luggage. You can purchase pieces at a good price on 1800luggage.com.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:03 AM

By the way, my husband's grandfather was born in Selvecava. Do you have family there?
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Go to TJ Max or Marshalls. And don't spend a lot of money. The airlines lose your stuff or wreck it and they will not reimburse you didley squat.

I agree - buy a conspicuous color. Less likely to get stolen, easier to spot on the conveyer belt thing.

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:17 AM

I bought a 21" rolling suitcase on Rick Steves website and everyone was jealous because it is so light weight and spacious. That and a rolling backpack did fine for 17 days last summer in Europe. It's been on 4 different trips since and been perfect on each one.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:06 AM

I purchase our luggage at Target. When it wears out (mine has been going several years with no problems) it's very easy to go buy new. Regarding black luggage: Go to Ace Hardware (or any hardware store) and buy colored duck tape. I use yellow and can spot my bumble bee luggage the minute it hits the carousel.

Curious
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. Definitly very useful. I am a fan of black but after reading some of the posts, maybe a splash of color won't be so bad.

mnapoli, yes I do have family there. actually all of them. I really didn't even think anyone would know that town. Not to sound corny, but it is a small world afterall.

If anyone else has recommendations keep them coming.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Also, any thoughts on the Leisure Bags?
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

topping, since I am not sure if this worked last time.

Sorry to be a pest.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

This was the message I thought I posted this morning.

Author: Nuttela
Date: 02/23/2006, 10:45 am
topping to see if anyone can help me with opinions on the Leisure luggage company.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:49 AM

I have - oh goodness I am embarrassed to admit this - about 12 suitcases. Varying sizes and makes. I have one Briggs and Riley and yes - it is sturdy as a tank, a small carry on...but they are beastly expensive.

I have a Tumi garment bag that worked for a 6 week trip to Paris as well as all over the world, and again, it is a workhorse but outrageously priced. The good thing about Tumi is their lifetime, no questions asked, warranty. They mean it too. I've had handles and wheels replaced on other Tumi bags I have since given away. They make great stuff but they are not for the cost conscious. I would never invest in a Tumi bag again, I bought the garment bag 12 years ago when I was younger and much more foolhardy with my hardearned money. There are comparable bags for much less money on the market.

I have two black bags I bought at Costco, Kirkland Brand, that cost about $100 each. They have traveled around the world on numerous trips, including Asia, Africa and Europe more times than I can count. They are still working fine.

I have Eagle Creek duffles, which are collapsable and I usually pack one when I travel for purchases enroute.

I am a luggage, bag and tote hound and find it hard to pass one up. As many as I have, believe it or not I use them all for different types of trips.

I love eBags - great site and they have great sales.

As I have gotten wiser (notice I didn't say older) I am finding I prefer wheels to heavy totes and duffles that I have to carry through airports. I have less patience for that now especially since I travel frequently and long distances. Rolling along through an airport makes the trip much more pleasant. But I have tiny carry ons with wheels that fit at my feet underneat the seat in front of me. If I have to put it over my head, it is too big to deal with, in my opinion.

Have a great honeymoon!!