Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Zurich/Germany at large in May-where should I go, how's the weather, what should I be sure to see and are ATM's commonly available?

Search

Zurich/Germany at large in May-where should I go, how's the weather, what should I be sure to see and are ATM's commonly available?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 08:06 AM
Chris

I'm planning on flying into Zurich in late May. I'll be staying for appx. 9 days or so. I'd like to see some castles, historical sites, etc. and do not necessarily plan to HQ in Zurich. I'd like to rent a car or take the train to some different parts of the country. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Chris

To curb any attacks, I should explain that I'm aware Zurich is in Switzerland, however, I can get a cheaper flight into Zurich and plan to travel to Germany from there.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Heather

Chris, if you email me directly, I can forward some driving tours in Germany email that was sent to me by a very helpful poster. Also, the "Frommer's (?) 25 best loved driving tours in Germany" book looks very good.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Ed

Chris: <BR> <BR>Unusual to find relatively inexpensive flights to Zürich. From where are you flying and on whom? Something for me to look into perhaps.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 10:53 PM
melissaom

Hi Chris, <BR> <BR>I live in Zurich - I too am surprised to hear you got a cheaper flight here than to a major hub in Germany - but good for you!! <BR> <BR>A few notes. Taking trains is very simple and the connections are great. I recommend getting a train pass through Eurail. Renting a car is expensive and gas prices are a killer (it costs the equivalent of around $80.00 to fill up a BMW 3 series). If cost is not an issue, Zurich is a great place to HQ - you can take day trips to Lucerne, Montreux, the Alps...Munich is about 3 1/2 hours by car. <BR> <BR>Highly recommend the Romantic Road in Germany and visiting all of King Ludwig's castles - I just did that trip again last October. In May the weather is temperate, usually around 70 degrees, and cooler in the evening. Bring an umbrella just in case and lots of film! <BR> <BR>ATMS are everywhere in Swizterland and Germany. Be aware theat they are less common in some smaller German towns, but you would really have to be in the middle of nowhere to not be able to find one. It is a good idea to keep cash on you as not all restaurants accept credit cards, and even some of those that do will only accept them for over a certain purchase amount (like $20). Feel free to e-mail with questions, and have a great time.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 03:59 AM
guy

I too have noticed that more often than not...that the airfares into ZRH are usually cheaper than flying into either FRA or MUN...go figure...but ZRH is great place to hang or use as HQ or not..If you want to go north to Germany there is always Garmisch-Partenkirchen and the Castles on your way to MUN..also you are not all that far from Salzburg..If you want to go south..from ZRH.there is always the drive over St. Gotthard pass to Locarno or Lugano..As I see it you can not make a bad choice....

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 04:04 AM
guy

To answer Ed....the flights that are always usually less expensive to ZRH ..as opposed to FRA or MUN..for me are on Delta....and that be from SLC !!

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 10:23 PM
Gary

Swiss Air are running great fares US - Zurich. Found airfare cheaper to fly into ZRH will drive to MUC and return to DFW from MUC.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 01:01 AM
Mike

On your way from Zurich to Germany, you might consider overnighting in Schaffhausen, where the Rhine Falls are, v near German border and &lt; 1 hr from Zurich airport. There's an upmarket hotel called Rheinhotel Fischerzunft, which is a very interesting and unusual place. They were doing fusion cooking years before it was fashionable (Swiss husband, Japanese wife, trained in Japan). Location is very pleasant, rooms have interesting features - space age lavatories and electric beds. See Relais et Chateaux site for details.