Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   zurich day trips (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/zurich-day-trips-261327/)

sue ellen Sep 26th, 2002 03:15 PM

zurich day trips

Can we go by train from Zurich to Liechtenstein and back as a day trip? Other ideas? (we will be there the week before Christmas.) Thanks.

Patrick Sep 26th, 2002 03:22 PM

You can, but why? We found Liechtenstein to be one of the most charmless places we've visited in Europe, and from past posts here there are many who would agree.<BR>I'm more of a summer person, so excursions, hikes, and boat trips that I have loved probably aren't too great for you. I enjoyed Basel as a day trip, and Bern is another possibility. Assuming you aren't already going to Lucern, I'd think that is a must.

Travelman Sep 26th, 2002 04:56 PM

<BR> To Sue<BR> Bern ( so,so)<BR> Luzern<BR> Freiburg {the best)<BR> Train are very good<BR> T

xxx Sep 26th, 2002 10:55 PM

Absolutely 2nd that reco about doing Bern or Basel instead of Liechtenstein. Both of those cities have got real "charm" over the holidays. Plus they have nice old towns - Bern is especially good for that, since basically the entire city center is the old town. <BR><BR>If you want to head eastwards of Zurich, then perhaps consider Chur - it's a crossroad sort of village/town into the Alps, has got eastern-Swiss flavor.<BR>

sue Oct 2nd, 2002 03:30 PM

thank you all. i appreciate the ideas.

jw Oct 4th, 2002 05:09 AM

How about Schaffhausen and Stein am Rhein? Frescoed exteriors and oriel windows, just an hour and a bit from Zurich. J.

Claudine Oct 4th, 2002 05:21 AM

I would second Schaffhausen and Stein am Rhein.<BR>Liechtenstein is just a bankers' (or tax-evaders') paradise. Nothing much to see. I don't think the royal palace is open to the public, either.

anissa Oct 4th, 2002 06:26 AM

Used to live in Konstanz and we would go to Zurich for necessary things (like getting passports) so go to the Bodensee would make a day trip - but it would be a long one (esp when it gets dark early). I think the train ride was 2 or 3 hours long - it has been almost 10 years since I lived there. <BR>I third Stien-am-Rhein and Schaffhausen, of course including the Rheinfalls...

Ingo Oct 4th, 2002 08:30 AM

What about St. Gallen? Splendid Baroque cathedral with famous library (UNESCO world heritage site). Very nice old town with excellent shopping and restaurants.<BR><BR>All the places mentioned before are great choices, though, except Liechtenstein.<BR><BR>Ingo

jw Oct 6th, 2002 05:04 AM

Ingo! I had forgotten that magnificent library in St. Gallen until you mentioned it. Sue Ellen, if you are interested in some smaller places, in addition to Stein am Rhein, you might visit Rapperswil on Zurich's lake or even go into Appenzell. Or just stay in Zurich one afternoon and explore the streets of the old town. I'd imagine that they are especially beautiful at Christmastime. And if you are looking for wonderful gifts, be sure to stop in at the Schweizer Heimatwerk shop. Ursula can give you the address if she's looking in. J.