Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Zurich - Best Hotel Within Walking Distance of Haubtbahnhof (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/zurich-best-hotel-within-walking-distance-of-haubtbahnhof-942707/)

Good_Will Jul 13th, 2012 04:16 PM

Zurich - Best Hotel Within Walking Distance of Haubtbahnhof

We are arrriving late in the afternoon for a business meeting and will depart by train the next morning at 10.30am. Which hotel do Fodorites recommend ? Thank you

kybourbon Jul 13th, 2012 05:04 PM

What is your price range?

Good_Will Jul 13th, 2012 05:31 PM

Three to Four stars. Do not want to spend a lot of money given one night stay which will be largely taken up by dinner. So large bed, good breakfast and convenience to walk to rail would be good. Thank you for any advice. I know Zurich is somewhat expensive.

joannyc Jul 13th, 2012 05:51 PM

If you are a Marriott person, there is a very nice hotel w/i 10 minute walk of the train station. If you have CL/Exec Lounge access, they offer a great Exec Lounge!

Pepper_von_snoot Jul 13th, 2012 06:50 PM

pension st. josef is easy walk from hbh zurich/

it is not luxurious, but it is spotless, quiet, and the breakfast is pretty pukka/

zurich is not somewhat expensive/

it is one of the most expensive places in the world/

the prices in the shops on the bahnhofstrasse would give even mark zuckerberg the shivers/

the performance artist known as razr//

Good_Will Jul 14th, 2012 01:38 AM

Thank you. It is an expensive town indeed and I am of the view that there are very few views from hotels that I would wish to pay for. I was leaning towards a US brand under the circumstances and have found most booked out on the night I requested in September. Not surprisingly so.

kybourbon Jul 14th, 2012 07:41 AM

3-4 stars means little. You would get more help if you say how much you want to spend a night (200chf? 300chf?). The US brand hotels will not include breakfast unless you have high enough status with Marriott's reward program or stay at an HI Express on the outskirts. The last time I stayed at the Renaissance (not near the main train station, but on the tram line) in Zurich, breakfast was about 35-40chf per person (continental).

ira Jul 14th, 2012 08:01 AM

Hey GW,

We were quite pleased with the St Josef.
http://www.st-josef.ch/

((I))

Good_Will Jul 14th, 2012 04:22 PM

Hi kybourbon. I guess 200CHF is the entry point to a large bed and breakfast for 2. I would feel somewhat aggieved if we had to pay more than 275 CHF. In situations like this I would usually select a French or US brand. When I took a look at the Marriott, which looks good,
the availability for the September night seemed to limit the only option to a 440 CHF entry point. Thanks to all who have mentioned St Josef. We will take a look there.

Good_Will Jul 15th, 2012 02:13 PM

There must be something happening in Zurich on 12 September.

No rooms show availabilty on the online booking system at St Josef. Everywhere we try to visit, we run into United Nations or Euro Government conferences :-(

Seems like we will have to head to the suburbs of Zurich or maybe ask my business connection whether he would like to hike to the Schilthorn with me on the following day :-)

joannyc Jul 15th, 2012 02:46 PM

Have you tried booking.com?

swandav2000 Jul 15th, 2012 08:51 PM

Hi Good_Will,

If you indeed have to head to the suburbs, I recommend the Hotel Sonne in Küsnacht. The hotel is a 4-star that sits right on the lake and just across the street from the train station. In fact, as you leave the train station, you go under an overpass to cross the busy street, and the underpass ends at the entrance to the hotel. Trains into Zürich take about 15 minutes.

www.sonne.ch

I've stayed there twice and adored it, especially the lakeside bar/garden.

Have fun!

s

Good_Will Jul 15th, 2012 10:50 PM

Sonne looks great but sadly a CHF 350 lake view room would be a little too indulgent for a brief overnight stay and the "cozy" street view rooms seem somewhat overvalued. I guess all of the world's currencies cannot match the overvalued splendor of the CHF :-)

mokka4 Jul 16th, 2012 01:56 AM

If you can consider Rapperswil, 30 minutes by train south of Zurich, Hotel Jakob offers plain clean rooms on the square, under the castle for Very Good rates!

Mischka Jul 23rd, 2012 08:20 AM

Good luck.... We have been hunting for rooms and the prices seem crazy. We have just booked the st Josef thanks to all the reccomendations here. Weve booked four days end of August. Hope you find what you're looking for soon.

Good_Will Jul 23rd, 2012 12:40 PM

I am very grateful to my Zurich based business colleague. He has decided to visit me in Murren on a Friday and then travel on to another location closeby to spend the weekend.

It has been many years since I last visited Zurich. I have great memories of a business trip when I stayed up on the hill at the Dolder Grand where there was also a small golf course.

As a generalisation it seems that the strong Swiss Franc makes life challenging for those who visit. As another generalisation it seems that the Swiss Franc is strong because Swiss debt levels are somewhat less than elsewhere in the world.

Thanks again for advice on Zurich.