Zurich, Arosa, Lugano, Lucerne

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Zurich, Arosa, Lugano, Lucerne

Please comment on this itinerary. Our first visit to Switzerland, for 9-10 days, in July or August, don't like ski lifts, love nice lakes, views, interesting sights and shopping, and we must arrive and depart from Zurich:
1. arrive Zurich, 3 hour train to Lugano, for 2-4 days,
2. 3 hour train from Lugano to Zurich, for 2-4 days,
3. 3 hour train ride from Zurich to Arosa for 2-3 days.
4. 3 hour train ride back to Zurich?
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:04 PM

I don't think this is a reasonable itinerary.

Why do you ride the same train routes forth and back? Why not doing a round (circle) tour?

Although both Lugano and Arosa are nice, I think there are better places in Switzerland, especially for a first visit.

For example:
Bernese Oberland (although not my favourite) for mountains,

Lake Maggiore (Locarno, Ascona e.g.) for lakes

I am sure others will jump in and recommend more places.

Ingo
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Well, it seems like you're spending a lot of time training in and out of Zurich. Is there no better train route? If not, perhaps you should consider renting a car instead, then you wouldn't be tied to all this back and forth. Also, what happened to the Lucerne in your question? Or should step # 2 and 3 be Lucerne instead of Zurich?
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:02 PM
JN

A circle tour would be much better. If Luzern is a stop, consider going from the Zurich airport to Luzern via train--0 or 1 change required, 1.25 hour trip and a much easier first day.

After your 2-3 nights there, take the 2.75/3hour trip to Lugano; Then the 4 hour trip to Arosa. Final leg is the <3 hour trip to Zurich for your last night or two before flying home.

If you do something like that, you'd have less back tracking, less time on train and, if you're using point to point tickets, less cost. Plus you get to see a wider swath of Switzerland.

By the way, from what you've described, I've got to think you'd love Luzern--beauty, shopping and interesting sights to visit in the vicinity. Enjoy.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:40 AM
JonJon

As others have said, you do not need to go back and forth to Zurich...it's OK but certainly not worth all that time when tghere are so many other places to see, both mountainous and otherwise.
You might try looking up train sxchedules on the www.sbb.com or www.bahn.de websites while also consulting a map or atlas to orient yourself if necessary. And I would definitely try to do Lucerne as you have originally planned, too. Good luck

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 06:07 AM
jmw

Ok, let me jump in here uninvited. May I suggest going immediately to Lucerne from the flughafen at Zurich? Staying in Lucerne you can daytrip via the brunigpass to the Berner Oberland (if you don't mind trainrides), or just lakeboat from Brienz for gorgeous views of same). Then down to Lugano (with lovely but crowded boatrides to Gandria and Morcote on its lake), and then back to Zurich for your last batch of nights. All three of these cities have mindboggling daytrip possibilities plus their own individual charm. If you're curious about frescoed buildings, try to include a daytrip from Zurich to Stein-am-Rhein.

An alternate plan might be Lugano first, then across to French-speaking Switzerland's Lavaux region on Lac Leman (sigh), then to Thun on Thunersee or Lucerne on its lake, and finally to Zurich for just a night or two. How will you ever decide? J.

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 06:18 AM

I'm curious about your including Arosa. We were there just this summer. It is a pretty area, but mainly because it is surrounded by ski lifts to nice hiking areas. If you don't like ski lifts, what is the attraction? There's not much to the town and no shopping to speak of. There's a tiny lake (well, pond really), but nothing much. I'd rethink about staying at another lake place if that's what you like. Spiez, Luzern, Rapperswill, Montreux all come to mind. Or for a beautiful train trip as well, go to Locarno.

And I don't get that return to Zurich either. Look at doing a loop.