Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Zurich Airport Entrance to Schengen Help
Notices

Zurich Airport Entrance to Schengen Help

Jan 2nd, 2016, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Zurich Airport Entrance to Schengen Help

I need some help navigating the Zurich airport as I have never flown through before.

I'll start with my itinerary, I am flying from Chicago to Zurich with a 2 hour layover before departing from for my final destination which is Fiumicino in Rome.

I should enter the airport at Zurich through Gate E given that I am flying from Chicago.

I could use some guidance on what to expect in terms of passport control and customs at Zurich, I wont have anything to declare I'm sure so customs should be a breeze. Is anyone familiar with this terminal? How can I best navigate it to get through passport control and customs easily.

Additionally, how does my going through customs and passport control at Zurich effect my path through Fiumicino? Can I skip those steps there given that they are both Schengen Zone countries?

Thanks,

E
Jan 2nd, 2016, 11:24 AM

You leave the plane and find a queue in front of several booths for passport control. It will be easy and take just a few minutes. Then you will be in the transit area of the airport with lounges, restaurants and tax-free shopping.

If your baggage is checked through there will be no customs.

In this case you will grab your luggage at the claim in Fiumicino and walk through custums there. There are two gates: One green, which means nothing to declare, and one red, which means you have something to declare.

You will see that 99% of your fellow passengers will walk through the green gate and that 98% of them will not be checked.
Jan 2nd, 2016, 01:03 PM

When you arrive in rome no one from your flight will be going through passport control, so your plane disembarking will not funnel you into an international arrivals area. Just follow the signs to luggage. then to taxis/buses/ etc or however you are leaving the airport to town.

Search this Thread