Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Zurich Aiport: do they weigh your carry-on luggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Fodorites,

I'm flying out of Zurich airport next weekend (Zurich-Prague) and will be carrying a lot of electronic equipment with me (for work). I must carry-on my equipment with me (at least the hard drive and laptop) because I don't want to check it in (previously I checked in my hard drive and found that it was damaged after arrival).

I understand that there's a carry-on luggage weight requirement for flights within the European continent. (Europe - weight requirement vs. US - piece/size/dimensions requirement). Does anyone remember if their carry-on bags are actually weighed?
I remember reading on another post that carry-on bags are weighed at the gate and not at check-in counter?

I'm flying Czech Airlines.

I really do not want to take out my hard drive at the gate to check it in just because I'm 0.5 kg over the limit...trying to figure out what to do...

And no I don't want to mail it...I need it right away when I arrive in Prague...

Thanks a bunch!!
Old May 28th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, fingers ran too fast.

Title of this post should read:

>>Zurich Aiport: == Zurich Airport
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:30 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I was in Zurich a few weeks back (I left Zurich on Swiss Air) and my carry on wasn't weighed and no one expressed any interest in it whatsoever (business class).

It WAS weighed when I left Perth, Australia and again when I left LAX bound for Auckland on Air NZ (also business class). It was plenty heavy, but the allowances for business class are more generous, so I had no problems.

It's sort of hit and miss...if your bag is big, they might weigh it. Sometimes you can get around the weight issue by breaking the items into two separate bags. I seriously doubt you'll have any problems if you're really only .5 kg overweight though (unless it's BA - they're ruthless!).
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:27 AM

Swissair's carry-on allowance is only 8 kilo, at least for economy class, above which you have to check the luggage. That happened to me once when they weighed it for my return from Prague to Geneva, it weighed 9,5 kilo and I had to check it.
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:18 AM

It's down to the individual airline rather than the airport:

The airline website gives the folowing limits:

http://www.csa.cz/en/portal/passenge...nformation.htm

In my limited experience, they don't *always* weigh things even if there is a stated limit, but I really wouldn't want to risk it.
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Breaking into two separate bags...good idea...but it's 8lbs for all of the carry on bags, right?

I'm flying LAX - ZRH via Swiss Airlines,
and then ZRH - PRG via Czech Airlines.

I'm more worried about ZRH-PRG since I've never flown that leg before.
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:10 PM

<Breaking into two separate bags...good idea...but it's 8lbs for all of the carry on bags, right?>

I'm not sure about that nancicita - I've done it several times on Air NZ - they seem more concerned with the weight of each individual bag, supposedly for safety reasons...

I've never, ever had my second bag weighed - I travel a lot and usually take a roller bag carry on, which is the one they zero in on - and a small backpack or tote.

Are you flying business class by chance?
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:13 PM

I've flown in/out of Zurich a lot recently - but to the US - and they didn;t weight carry-ons but they measured them exactly. And carry-ons that would have been OK in the US had to be gate checked (they measure the wheels and handle as well as the bag).
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

I think my carry on bag should be ok in terms of measurement.
It's a large duffel bag (almost looks like a gym bag) but with a hard bottom.

It's the weight that I'm worried about -- I have to bring two hard drives, a large laptop (heavy), instructional manuals, plus all the work documents in a binder.

I could upgrade to business class for the LAX-ZRH flight (Swiss Air), but I don't think it's worth it for the short 1 hour ZRH-PRG flight (Czech Air).
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Greetings from Prague...

Just wanted to follow up on this thread.

They didn't weigh my carry-on luggage at Zurich airport.

However, they did charge me for my second check-in luggage.
I forgot that continental flights in Europe allow only 1 piece of luggage under 20 kg. I had two that were 22 kg each.

So I paid $350 for that second piece of check-in luggage.

OMG!!
Old Jun 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM

Yikes