Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Zurich Accomodations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/zurich-accomodations-383321/)

memphismary Dec 18th, 2003 07:43 PM

Zurich Accomodations

Where would a nice moderate-high class hotel or b&b be located for 2 women to stay in the month of August that would be convenient to transportation &/or "downtown"?

Curt Dec 19th, 2003 04:19 AM

Hotel Central right at river and main train station. Great location, good rooms, easy walking to everything. Nice place.

swandav2000 Dec 19th, 2003 04:40 AM

Hi memphismary,

I like to stay in one of the suburbs of Zurich along the lake -- cheaper hotels, quieter atmosphere, and convenient to take the train or s-bahn into the main train station.

I've stayed at the Hotel Ermitage in Kuesnacht (member of the Relais & Chateaux group, I think the website is www.ermitage.ch) a few times, but it's a bit pricey. I stayed at a tiny family-run place in Uetikon once, but it's almost impossible to find without a taxi (expensive). It's too far to walk from the train station, so it means a taxi -- or bus and then a block or two on foot. I'm also interested in the Hotel Hirschen am See in Meilen (www.hirschen-meilen.ch) for a future trip.

Let me know if I can help further!

s

Cicerone Dec 19th, 2003 05:03 AM

I live in Zurich and can suggest the following more in the high-end category:

1. The Widder Hotel www.widderhotel.ch, fashion-forward hotel in a charming mainly pedestrian area also with bars and restaurants.

2. The Aldstadt (can't find website, phone is 41-1250-5353) small charming hotel in the Neiderdorf/Obedorf area of shops and restaurants.

3. the Baur au Lac (bauraulac.ch), THE hotel in Zurich with prices to match, great views of the lake and Alps.

4. the Savoy Baur en Ville (savoy-baurenville.ch), another luxury hotel in the heart of the city.

5. Hotel Schweizerhof (hotelschweizerhof.com) very conveniently located across the street from the main train station.

The Hotel Adler gets good reviews as well (www.hotel-adler.ch) although it is on a square with lots of bars and can be very noisy at night, esp in summer (see below).

The Central Plaza Hotel mentioned above is also a good hotel (http://www.central.ch/); but make sure they have air-conditioning, as this is right at the main tram stop and some major road intersections and it can be quite noisy. A room on the very top floor even without airconditioning would probably be OK, or one facing the quiet back street (but no view from there).

All of Zurich is safe and the main tourist/downtown part is very small so you can walk from one part to another quickly and easily.

One thing to remember is that most hotels do not have air-conditioning and in August in Zurich the city is quite lively until quite late. It is not dark until 10 pm or so, and people are on holiday in August. The sun doesn't set until about It can be very noisy. Ask for a room on an interior courtyard or a side street if possible. I believe the Baur au Lac and Savoy have air-conditioning, and the Widder may as well. That is something to consider as in addition to noise, the last two summers here have been really hot (over 90 degrees for 3 months or so).

One more thing to consider is that the annual "Street Parade" is scheduled for Saturday August 7 this year. This is a 17- hour hip-hop party which is attended by about 1 million young people and the volume at which the music is played is unbelievable; it can be heard 10 miles or so down the lake. Unless you are into hip-hop and young people on Ecstasy, I would advise staying out of Zurich on the 6th and the 7th. (I always do myself.) You could go to Lucerne instead for peace and quiet.

Cicerone Dec 19th, 2003 05:51 AM

One more hotel to consider is the Hotel Helmhaus(http://www.venere.com, click on Zurich and scroll down, there are other good hotels listed here too like the Splugenschoss) The Helmhaus is a more moderate hotel (4 star) in the Neiderdorf/Oberdorf area. They definitely have airconditioning. A very good location for sightseeing, shopping and eating.

One more hotel which I walk by frequently is the Hotel Seefeld (http://www.hotel-seefeld.ch/) It is a 3-star but looks very nice from the lobby and lobby bar. They have a roof terrace. It is in a nice neighbourhood of restaurants and some interesting shops, and is about 2 blocks from the lake. The Seefeld area would be a bit quieter at night than the Neiderdorf/Oberdorf areas. It is on a tram line and so is convenient. You might consider it as well.

Patrick Dec 19th, 2003 06:03 AM

And yet another. Right in the heart of the prettiest part of Zurich, and just a block off the tram from the train station is the Hotel Kindli, a small, friendly, and refined hotel catering mostly to business people -- many women! See their website at www.kindli.ch The rooms are beautifully decorated in Laura Ashley style, and a wonderful breakfast is served in the nice brasserie downstairs. They will take great care of you. It has a small inn feel to it, but nicely upscale. There is a bonus in that weekend rates are quite a bit lower (as mainly they have business guests).

dickv2 Dec 19th, 2003 07:14 AM

Goodmorning, have used the HOTEL KINDLI about 10 or 11 times since 1987 and have been very impressed with the hotel and its staff, it has recently been remodeled and is in a very good location at the end of the Rennwegb and\about one full block off teh Bahnhofstrasse, an ideal location//
it is a three star hotel with 21 rooms
Many ristorantes around.......
Have also stayed at the SPLUGENSCHLOSS
however it is about three to four blocks from the Bahnhofstrasse. The Central is across the bridge from the
Bahnhof... Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.

memphismary Dec 19th, 2003 01:10 PM

I can't beleive the prompt responses! Thank you so much..I will look into the suggestions and let you know what I decide...If you ever go to San Miguel de Allende Mexico stay at Casa Schuck...it is lovely....$130-160...memphis mary

simpsonc510 Dec 19th, 2003 02:08 PM

We've stayed at the Glockenhof on a number of trips to Zurich over the years. It's out favorite. Great location, very polite and helpful staff, and it's just a short block to the Bahnhofstrasse. I believe the Glockenhof might be listed in an Int'l Best Western Guide??? Not sure about that. But it IS a very good choice for Zurich.
Carol