Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zip it up!--in Ziplock bags that is

I love zip-locks for traveling. Aside from the usual sizes, here are some more:

I saw these in the grocery store:

• Ziploc Big Bags XL 2 ft. x 1.7 ft.
• Ziploc Big Bags XXL 2 ft x 2.7 ft.

Also, in case you didn’t know:

• Hefty makes a One Zip Jumbo 2.5 gallon bag (14 3/8” x 16”)

Also, Magellans sells a set (Zip-Top Bag Set) of “slim” bags for $4.85
4—3x4
4—4x6
4—6x8
4—9x12
4—13x18
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:10 AM

bought the Ziplock when they first came out last fall.. didn't notice much of a difference, except I coud put my wet clothes in them..
Old May 5th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

ParrotMom--I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean "didn't notice much of a difference."
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:04 AM

If you are on a multi-day tour, zipping 'em is the best! You don't have to unpack every night!

Albertson's has 2 gallon ziplocks.
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:04 AM

I throw a few sandwich sized and a couple of whatever slightly larger (2qt?) size I already have in my kitchen in the bottom of my suitcase, along with a plastic grocery bag - the kind with handles. The latter is good for isolating dirty laundry on the way home because you can tie it shut.

Other than that, I just fold/roll my clothes.
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Just a warning about ziplock bags. Several sizes of them currently come with this pink flowered pattern on the front. One of these got wet in a bathroom in Costa Rica and left a pink stain on the counter. I coudn't get it off by rubbing-hope I didn't ruin the counter.
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Neopolitan

Best use of ziplock bags when I travel? Add me to the list that travel with my own washcloths. They are always wet when you leave a hotel. Put it in a sandwich size ziplock until you reach your next hotel.

Old May 5th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
"snack" size for keeping all the little stuff and odds & ends organized; good for keeping multiple currency types sorted
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the info. Right now I have a few Hefty boxes because I found a great sale on them.

I love using them as Faina suggested. They keep things organized, neat and easily moved out of luggage or a hotel drawer to get at other items. Only thing is if you sqeeze the air out by rolling up the bag as you zip, you will fit more in your suitcase but the suitcase is so heavy you can hardly move it. I stopped doing this.
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the warning about the pink flower pattern, missypie. I do have some of those and will exercise appropriate caution.

I also love zip loc bags and use them to contain non-clothing items, with separate bags for electical nicknacks like batteries and chargers, meds, "dry" toiletries (like nail files) and "wet" toiletries (like shampoo).
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

I use zips to sort, organize, and protect various things (btw, freezer bags are stronger than regular):

• food storage – take snacks out of original containers at home and put them in zips, much easier to deal with on plane
• spillables – all go into zips in case of leaks
• good for goopy soap dish or soap (have allergies; have to take my own soap)
• cosmetic bag for purse; lighter weight and more pliable than regular cosmetic bag
• cord storage (camera charger, etc.)
• batteries
• medicines (bottles, etc.)
• first aid kit (bandaids, blister bandages, neosporin, wipes, etc.)
• cd/dvds (much lighter than cd case, and all the other junk in my carryon protects them)
• shoes (I don’t want those dirty things touching my clothes)
• one set of spare clothing in carry on in case of emergencies
• miscellaneous items
• wet washcloths (as Neo mentioned)
• wet clothes
• laundry kit (woolite, tide stain stick—which I just bought thanks to a Fodorite’s suggestion, etc.)
• this trip, might put undies in a zip, in case bags are searched
• this trip, might use Suze’s idea for coin storage
• this trip, might use to hold maps, etc.

Missy, I had the same experience with those bags once; never bought them again.
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:35 AM
esm

Apart from uses mentioned above, I use ziplock bags to keep all my receipts to be sorted when I get back home.
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Also,
• will put passport in zip to keep it clean and dry if I’m wearing a money belt
• when I’m at theme parks that have rides where you can get wet, I keep my VIP things in a baggie inside my daypack or purse
• this might be a good idea, too, if you’re going to be doing a lot of walking on a very rainy day
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:52 AM

My "laundry kit" is a travel-sized shampoo bottle refilled with liquid Tide. I use a little full strength to pretreat stains.

I've learned that for me, especially while traveling, "less is more." Which has been a good thing, since I've been my own porter on and off trains, tubes/Metros, vaporettos, and so forth!
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Lesli, I'm trying to pack light, too. I'm taking a 21" roll-aboard and a flight bag. With so few clothes for 3 weeks, I figure I need all the help I can get to stay clean.

The Tide thing that was recommended is "Tide to Go." It's not a pretreater; it's an "instant stain remover." It's the size of a marker, and in fact, will probably be in my purse, rather than my luggage.
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:09 AM

If that "instant stain remover" actually works, and it's that small, I guess it would be worthwhile.

I saw a coworker dabbing at his shirt with a towelette version of the same thing in the elevator the other day, and the consensus was that it was just making matters worse.

On the other hand, I do take a small pump hairspray bottle refilled with Febreeze. That is a product of which I was extremely sceptical that turned out to be worth a bit of space in my makeup bag.
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Can't remember who suggested the Tide to Go, but I think she thought it worked well--guess I'll find out .

When you use Febreeze, does the smell of the Febreeze itself go away? I'm not crazy about perfumy smells.
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Love Febreeze! Are you taking it just to use as an air freshener or someting else?
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:24 AM

I use the fabric refresher type of Febreeze in a "powder" scent. Spray my clothes and hang them to air overnight. By morning, there is little or no residual fragrance on the clothes themselves.

Seems like they've added a bunch of new fragrances and other products to their line since I bought my last bottle. Which just confuses the issue, IMO.
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Lesli. Ziana, I would be taking it to use as a clothes freshener.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -