Ziana's Paris whole enchilada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I?ll try to behave this time and tell you what I saw and did not.
We arrived to Paris train station around 9am on Friday, April, 2.
We made through to Alcyon Hotel and checked in.
Gentlemen parked our luggage into the room and was nice (I said ?bonjour? though?)
Hotel looked nice and very quiet. We went to explore neighborhood.
BTW, during our 12 days trip our 9 y/old children were in their bestest behaviour (for those who think about bringing kids with you ? do it !)
Exploration started with looking for Bastilia which was the closest attraction to where we stayed. So we walked to it. We saw the monument. No "WOW" seen to be honest.
We went for coffee, had better. No running water. We walked some more and got into some old place with outside faucet like old days ?were so happy washing hands, made a pictures, laughed. Saw Monoprix, to kill time went there, we wanted to go to Hotel to relax a bit, but it was too early yet. Remember that my family left Philadelphia on April,1 to Hamburg and we were at Paris on April,2 already. Monoprix left us very confused and reminded flea-market. We brought bread and Banyuls (was that wine Fodorite's joke? It was awfull !!!) and finally checked into Hotel.

WOW holly cow! Tripple room had spring board thrown on the floor next to beds. But huge bathroom. We carried luggage into it as there were no place to put it in the room. See, I am not that picky. My daughter hurt her booty as she thought that was actual mattress.
Next day we asked for THE mattress, when they brought it ? door couldn?t be closed, so we were asked to move our beds ? blocked the toilett door, so what ? At least we had 2 huge windows in the room and bathroom with a nice view. I am still wondering if I could while on the toilet ? open window and chat with someone across the street?
So, we made sandwiches with French bread and ran out of hotel.
We went to see Notre Dame. I will spare you metro description. You guys don?t take it well.
We walked around Notre Dame, admired it and recorder every detail for future viewing.
But we were 1 sec late to enter, fellow placed sign before our faces and as much I was trying to bribe him ? he shook his head. We didin?t know how lucky we were. We wouldn?t be able to survive ?big walk upstairs? after long trip.
So we went to look for stuff and my daughter got French berett and was so happy. We tried ice cream ? had much better. We tried crepes ? I was like ?my fodorites must be crazy to RAVE about blintzes with Nutella ???? Here I doubted you first time guys.
We walked back to our Hotel trying hard to admire Paris in evening, jumping puddles and desperately seeking smile from Parisians. By the time we got to the Hotel it was 11pm already and we never made reservation to a restaurant. BAD !
As funny and stupid this sound we eat at the Vietnamiese-Chinese restaurant in Paris on the first night!!! I almost cried. I wanted pate and whatever insides you told me about. I carried StCirg?s Paris Food Glossary for THIS ?
OK, hunger did it?s work and we crawled in. We were begging for rice (they don?t give it to you unless begged for), everything else was barely digestible even for hungry foreigners. Owner politely took our order but soon as it?s arrived she was standing there wanting us to pay and run. She was turning chairs upside down on the tables looking at us in discuss. We ran out. Of course we paid?
So, next morning we went down for the marvelous breakfast which included cereals, nutella, croussants, ham, cheese, juices and more. It included in price E 119 per night.
There was market behind our Hotel, we went hoping to see some cultural differencialities stuff. Had seen it all at home (in English). Brought bread.
We went to get Notre Dame ! Weather was sunny and windy, marvelous actually. We admired Notre Dame more in sun light and got place in line. After just about 2 hours we went up !!! O horror ! Have mercy, people. I know why Quazimodo became unattractive now ! I looked about the same when I went all the way, and for WHAT ?
Batobus brought us to the Eiffel Tower and in just about another 2 hours we went up, we looked at the city in lights. Any city from this height will look the same in lights, wouldn?t it ? It took us about just another 2 hours to get back. Brought key chains. Were so happy it colored in Primary colors, later realized ? French flag has the same colors.
Were to brain dead to think. Walked at night admiring night Paris and thanking Creator for being down finally. Were so surprised though how evenly colored city was, no excitement at all, like everything wanted you to stop looking. My bad I know?
Another day we went to Louvre but we sworn day before ? no lines anymore, so we took all the pictures we could around the Louvre, walked Kings way down, were too surprised looking at those women statues in orgasmic poses, made pictures, still wondering?
Is there history behind it ?
Got to the Latin ? admired so much, walked, shopped, eat terribly in beautiful restaurant.
Earlier brought Gyros ? tasteless, so impossible to believe! We got one in Hamburg later just to see if we were unfair. No, this one was flavorfull. So, go figure.
Last stop we had was Monmartre were we had our caricatures drawn and my daughter?s portrait, which all got left at the train station. We loved the spirit, even it was slightly raining, so what? Recorded a lot. Watching artists at work was awesome. Qiuet, peacefull and fun at the same time.
Looked for the restaurant ? found Hippopotamus, had better always before. Got on the train?went back to Hamburg.
We were getting into different places for food, like lunches and coffee with snacks.
But you read about it already. Yeah, we were always brought tap water with our coffees,
Remember discussion about how impossible to get water in Paris?

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:10 AM
ira

Hi Ziana,

Love your report.

>fodorites must be crazy to RAVE about blintzes with Nutella ???? <

LOL
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:28 AM

Here we go again!!!
I keep thinking this reminds me of Saturday Night Live's "Two Wild and Crazy Guys" going to Paris.
JoeG
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 06:35 AM
SoBeTraveller

Ho Hum! Obviously you went to a different city than the one I love.

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

ira,
thanks, I needed it badly.

I went to the same SBT, but I am a different person, that is it
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 07:26 AM

This horse is dead folks .....Ziana why don't you tack this to the other post. You are flooding the board with the same post.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

I was asked to tell whole enchilada.
That's why. I wanted to include "likes".
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 07:35 AM

And the "likes" were. . .?
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 07:36 AM

ziana, ol' girl. You coulda/shoulda just tacked this on your other thread.

Frankly this is getting old.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 07:38 AM

<<Paris whole enchilada>> - well that does speak volumes.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 07:58 AM

Ziana, do US a favour..next time stay in Philly...
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 07:59 AM

Too true!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:00 AM

......and by "enchilada" she meant the authentic Taco Bell kind, right?
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

kismetchimera
if you were smart as you pretending to be - you wouldn't bring this post up just because you feel sudden urge to type.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:02 AM

<<Ziana, do US a favour..next time stay in Philly...>>

NO, pleeeeaaase don't!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:03 AM

Oh Ziana ! Too funny (in a good way ).
Thank you.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thia is where Taco Bell came from :

Author: JoeG
Date: 04/13/2004, 04:51 pm
Since this is only your "very preliminary report", when can we expect the whole enchilada?
JoeG

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

<<Ziana, do US a favour..next time stay in Philly...>>

You mean to do US of A favor ?
I didn't know me staying home is a favor to our country. If you sure ir is - then ofcourse I will stay
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:12 AM

Ziana - Thanks for your posts! I am sure they represent your honest opinion- though I do not agree with all of them- they are yours and you are entitled to them as I am entitled to mine. A lot of people on this board, however, can not stand people with differing opinions and lash out with ridicule. By the way, I too like Hamburg and Lubeck, but still prefer Paris.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:16 AM

Bravo Ziana!!!

After an initial "horror" that someone would dare to "diss" my favorite city in the world -- I have come to respect you dear Ziana -- bless you -- you are not crumbling as many have before the wrath of the Fodor forum police -- nor have you gotten angry. You & I don't share much in way of travel preferences I bet -- but the good ole US of A is better off with with here! D--n - you ROCK!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -