Zermatt/St. Moritz to Copenhagen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I plan to visit Zermatt in mid-June, then take the Glacier Express to St. Moritz. From there we'd like to go to Copenhagen by train, with as few train changes as possible and a long sleeper leg--and, of course, in a reasonable total time. Alternatively, we'd take the train to the nearest airport with a direct flight. So far, I've had trouble determining whether such an itinerary is even feasible. Has anyone done anything similar?
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 08:07 AM
Singletail

I am away from my ususal source of information (the GermanRail on-line timetable and my Thomas Cook hard copy)) but can give you a few thoughts.
From St. Moritz you'll have to go to Chur by rail and probably change there for Zurich to get any sort of overnight services (one runs to Amsterdam from Zurich I know). The likelihood of getting an overnight to C-hagen would be better, probably, through Munich (a few hours from Chur with a probable change in St. Margrethen) if you can get the overnight to Hamburg and on to C-hagen and it will definitely be through Hamburg. A train named the Hans Christian Andersen used to run that route but am not sure it still does.

Flying? Again, best bets are probably from Zurich or Munich.

If nobody has answered satisfactorily by later this afternmoon when I have better access to the timetables I'll post once again.

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 08:49 AM

Take a look at rail.ch, the website for Swiss Railways. From my quick look, there is a day train that takes about 12 hours, and requires 2 changes (Chur and Basil). I reprinted the schedule for you:

Depart St. Moritz 8:02 Train D 530
Arrive Chur 10:05

Depart Chur 10:16 Train IR 1770
Arrive Basel 13:06

Depart Basel 13:13 Train ICE 106
Arrive Amsterdam CS 19:52

(I am assuming Amsterdam CS is central station)

The night trains appear to take 17 hours and require several changes.

If you fly, you could fly from Zurich, Basel or from Milan (There may be cheaper flights from Milan on Volare or Alitalia; Zurich and Basel do not have a lot of budget airlines flying out of it.) TRain from St Mortiz to Milan would take about 4.5 to 6 hours (plus another hour to get to Milan airport), train from St Mortiz to Zurich airport would take about 4 hours. Flight time from either would be about an 1.5 hours.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 08:55 AM

Sorry, I now see you are going to Copenhagen! OK another search. . .
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 09:09 AM

OK, looks complicated and I couldn't seem to find a schedule on rail.ch. The website for Danish railways is dsb.dk.

Routing through Berlin, which seems the most logical geographically, it looks like it would take between 21 and 24 hours and require several changes.

Give flying a thought.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 11:27 AM

JM,

Here is what I would do.

Take the train from St. Moritz to Zurich (4 hours with 1 stop in Chur). From Zurich I would take the NT to Hamburg (direct train 8PM arrives 8AM). Take the train from Hamburg to Copenhagen (4.5 hours 0 stops, train goes right onto to Ferry). Altogether a total of 20 with only 1 stop. The trains are very confortable and if you have the time, that is the way to go.

If you want to fly, I would take the train to Milan. This is a cool trip from St. Moritz to Tirano. From Tirano take the ES to Milan (best train station in Europe). Fly from Milan to Copenhagen. This way you get a good train trip and get to Copenhagen fast.

Have a good trip no matter which way you go.

Greg
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who replied to my message--I haven't resolved the question yet, but I think I'm a lot closer than before.