Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Zermatt safe for 6 month old and 13 month old? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/zermatt-safe-for-6-month-old-and-13-month-old-262016/)

Gina Sep 30th, 2002 03:59 AM

Zermatt safe for 6 month old and 13 month old?

My sister and I want to go to Zermatt in Spring with our babies. By then my babys will be 13months and my neice will be 6 months old. Is it safe for them considering the high altitude?

x Sep 30th, 2002 04:19 AM

Gina, I think this is a question for your paediatrician. Never trust medical advice you get off a public messageboard.<BR><BR>

wonderin Sep 30th, 2002 04:54 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, well there are babies born and living there so why will your babies be any different?!

Dick Sep 30th, 2002 05:32 AM

wonderin, the question isn't as unreasonable as you make it out to be. Babies born in Zermatt are acclimated to the 5,300 ft altitude - if Gina lives at sea level her baby won't be and there's some possibility of an adverse effect. Personally, I think that's unlikely - but if it were my baby I'd be checking with the kid's doctor.

xxx Oct 30th, 2002 01:48 PM

Just wondering if 16 month old son will be safe in that altitude.

kim Oct 30th, 2002 04:43 PM

As a pediatrician and a pilot, I know that commercial airlines are pressurized to about 7000 feet. If your baby can fly, she can go to that altitude. No acclimization required.

Me2 Oct 30th, 2002 04:47 PM

But why?! <BR>What kind of trip is that to take with babies in tow? It's not the easiest place to get to... And what do you want to do once you get there?

xxx Oct 30th, 2002 11:36 PM

All I could imagine is that, as you ascend to Zermatt, their ears will start to feel funny, you'll get those sort of confused looks from them, maybe a bout of crying; but that will relieve the (slight) pressure difference inside and all should be back to normal...

x Oct 31st, 2002 12:53 AM

You have to have a license to breed cats and dogs but anyone can have a child. This is moronic parenting and simply irresponsible. What parent in their right mind would ask a message board a serious medical question? esp. a travel board???? talk to the childs pediatrician and see what he says...Morons your bus is leaving...PS baby in plural is babies...

abc Oct 31st, 2002 02:05 AM

Wouldn't it be &quot;What parent in his or her right mind&quot; rather than &quot;their right mind&quot;? And at least &quot;Esp.&quot; not &quot;esp.&quot;, since it's the start of new sentence? &quot;Talk&quot; not &quot;talk&quot;; &quot;child's&quot; not &quot;child&quot;.<BR><BR>Get on the bus!<BR>

abc Oct 31st, 2002 02:08 AM

Oops, sorry, &quot;Esp. a travel board???&quot; isn't a full sentence. <BR><BR>Anyway, who cares about all this detail. You were spot on about seeing the pediatrician. Just leave it at that.<BR><BR>

pedantic Oct 31st, 2002 11:56 AM

Strictly speaking a question mark (?)or exclamation mark (!) can replace either a full stop or a comma. I have no problems with a lower case letter after a question mark.

Suzie Dec 18th, 2002 06:45 PM

Why all the fuss over a few spelling or<BR>grammer mistakes? I thought this was<BR>a site for people to talk about their<BR>travel experiences and offer their personal advice. Please just stick to<BR>travel talk and not all the &quot;nitpicking&quot;!!!

NO Dec 18th, 2002 08:09 PM

NO