Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Zermatt overnight? Always wanted to see the Matterhorn...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all.
We will be flying into Geneva, arrive 2.30pm Sunday 27th June (have not booked that evening accommodation yet) and are booked into villa near Drongo in Italian Lake district from Monday 28th.
My original plan was to drive to ? Montreux for Sunday night and then continue on (Palenque has very kindly suggested a route to take in previous thread.)
However.... my adult son who will be us, is very keen to visit Zermatt (and I am not totally averse to the idea at all either.)
Google maps says about 3 hours from Geneva to Zermatt, obviously with no sightseeing en route, and then about 4 1/2 hours to our villa next day (quickest, not necessarily most scenic.)
Reading my Switzerland Lonely Planet, I am overwhelmed with sights to visit in this area but the Matterhorn seems to get some pretty rave reviews.
Would this be a totally unreasonable idea? If not o'night in Zermatt itself, any other suggestions still allowing it's inclusion?
Thanks in advance as always.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 04:26 AM

Are you getting off a long haul flight? I seriously would not consider driving to Zermatt and I am one who does drive short distances after flying overnight (and have been taken to task on this forum for doing so).

A safer option would be to stop along Lake Geneva--maybe train to Lausanne then pick up car early next morning, arriving in Zermatt well in time for lunch.

In the "old days" you had to take a train for the last bit up to Zermatt. I did this and stayed overnight--all was lovely but not a single glimpse of the Matterhorn--covered in cloud and this was June. So, you are taking your chances on seeing it at all but don't take a chance on driving after a long haul.

However, if arriving from Paris or London, for example, then why not?
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks cathinjoetown. Yes, we will be getting off a long haul but will have three drivers if needed one of whom will have already been somewhere in Europe (my son, not sure where he will be meeting us from yet!)
The car is a Citroen lease, already organised to pick up from Geneva.
Do you not have to take the train any longer into Zermatt?
Long haul flight aside, (and I appreciate your comments there)is Zermatt a place to sleep or would we be better staying elsewhere and just visiting? All would be weather dependent as you suggest!
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:19 PM

The Matterhorn tends to be IME fickle about being shrouded in mist or clouds so you may not be even able to see it on the day you are there. Check weather reports - the ones right from Zermatt online or you may be wasting your time going up and back.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 01:23 PM

ozgirl,

It was so long ago that I was there, all I can tell you is that the train from Brig was the only option then. It looks like you can drive the entire way now, according to www.mappy.fr.

But, seriously, I still advise staying overnight perhaps in Lausanne, which is very pretty and will shave around 50 minutes off the next day's drive, or somewhere a bit further along the route, then heading up the rest of the way the next morning.

If you feel you and your co-drivers can make it the entire way, at least is should be in daylight, but don't forget that unless you have only carry-on luggage, you need to add at the very least an hour to your arrival time to clear immigration, pick up your luggage and your car.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 01:34 PM

ozgirl,

Just re-read your reply--if your son is meeting you in Geneve from some place in Europe, just go for it and have him drive the entire way.

Zermatt is sort of touristy but most scenic places in Europe are, so why not maximize your chances to see the Matterhorn by getting there as early as you can?

As you want to stop anyway on your way to Italy and as you will have a "fresh" driver, I say go ahead.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 02:10 PM

I always wanted to visit Zermatt. It is one very special mountain, and I get to look at Ranier every day if it is not cloudy. So the first time I went to Europe in 71 I traveled a long way out of my way to see it. Keep in mind what the above post tells you there is no guarantee you will even see the Matterhorn if the weather is socked in. Not to discourage you, but I stayed two extra days untill the summit cleared. To me it was worth it, but I had two more weeks left on my vacation. Zermatt tourist office has live cameras of the Matterhorn if anyone is connected. I once couln't get over a Swiss pass because of snow in July. So if you were to get to your Villa a day late it might be worth it. If he wants to see it as bad as I did I say go for it. I would not think finding a hotel at that time would be that hard, although some will be closed. I will try to figure out where we stayed a few years ago the last time I was there. At that time they had a great breakfast. We sat for an hour looking at the Matterhorn from the dinning room. Very memorable.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys for those encouraging remarks! I think we will go for it! Will have laptop with us so we can check at airport on weather and then wherever we can access internet along the way. We have to stop somewhere anyway so if weather bad will just find somewhere that we like along the way.
I am getting the impression that last minute accommodation wouldn't be a huge issue at that time of the year?
Can someone clarify whether train is still the only option for last leg to Zermatt please?
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 05:46 PM

ozgirl, I agree that seeing the Matterhorn is a remarkable sight and worth the visit to Zermatt if visibility permits viewing the peak. Speaking of the Matterhorn, what I remember most about Zermatt is the extensive cemetery in the middle of town containing the scores of those who fell from the Matterhorn - kinda scary. You can read the names - mostly young men in the prime of life from all over the world...
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 09:35 PM

According to this, you now drive to within 5km of Zermatt. When I went I now think we had to take the train from Visp, not Brig. Memory is failing.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...matt-BR-1.html
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:19 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
You can't drive all the way to Zermatt - it's car free (well, technically). You must leave your car in Tasch (5 km from Zermatt) and take the train from there.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 11:27 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I've visited Zermatt several times and have been pretty lucky visibility-wise, but we usually stay for at least three nights. I don't know what your chances of getting last minute accommodation are, but personally, I'd not step foot in Zermatt without a hotel reservation. If you really want to wing it though, keep in mind Tasch is just five kms away, and it has an assortment of accommodation (just in case).
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 04:18 AM

Is there a way of getting to Zermatt via public transportation. I too, have always wanted to see the Matterhorn (it's the fault of an old Disney movie from my infancy)but don't want to drive to get there.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 04:24 AM

yes, you can go all the way to Zermatt by rail

from where?

And as to the viewing possibilities..the Gornergrat railway station has a live cam focused on the peak (sometimes the village can be overcast but the peak view clear) so you can see what the conditions are like before you ascend on that 45-minute trip
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:49 AM

Can someone clarify whether train is still the only option for last leg to Zermatt please?>

Yes if you mean the parking lots a few miles from Zermatt proper that you must park at and then take the shuttle trains in.

But if talking about driving from Brig to this parking lot that has been possible for some decades now.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:29 AM

Dukey, I don't know, I've not traveled at all to Switzerland yet.
From Zurich or Geneva?
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:56 AM

Well yes you can reach Zermatt by rail from any place in Switzerland, including right from airports in Geneva and Zurich - each having a rail station in the airport. You will always have to change at Visp or Brig (depending on which you come) to the BVZ or Brig-Visp-Zermatt railway (may have changed name after being merged with another railway)

And i would eschew the car in Switzerland and take the fabulous train system - if going to Zermatt and places in the Jungfrau Region (the highpoint literally and figuratively IMO of Swityzerland if you've never been to the country)

Swiss trains are fantastic - twice an hour usually everywhere

and driving you first have to buy some kind of autoroute tag of about $40 or so (perhaps rental cars come equipped?) and with autoroutes you often see little with wind blocks along the road sides and the driving sees little of the wondrous scenery as he/she must keep eyes peeled on the busy roads - Switzerland is a hilly and mountainous country - i've found even secondary roads often clogged in rugged terrain)

anyway the train IMO is the way to go (and in Zermatt train will take you right to Zermatt, not to some remote parking lot. And if coming from either Geneva or Zurich to Zermatt and back then by all means ponder the Swiss Railpass - Saver Pass in your case - for two or more traveling together - two names on one plass cheaper than two separate passes - excellent sources for Swiss train travel IMO - www.swisstravelsystem.com -links to www.sbb.ch - Swiss Federal Railways site for schedules and prices for individual trains to compare with the pass and also links to scenic specialty trains like you could well take from Montreux or back to Montreux - the fabled Golden Pass train, etc) and www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com - the latter's free European Planning & Rail Guide has a great chapter on Swiss trains. Swiss Passes are also valid on lake boats, postal buses and city buses and trams - virtually everything that moves in Switzerland, except cows.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:12 AM

Elaine

So funny you should mention the disney movie. I almost mentioned the same thing in my post. As a kid this got me started on my love of that mountain and Switerland, which is still my favorite destination to this day; and I have been there many times. I even have a copy of "Banner In the Sky."
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 11:52 AM

If you are taking the train, the trip from Zürich to Zermatt is slightly shorter than the train from Geneva, but not enough to make a difference if you have other reasons for visiting Geneva insttead of Zürich.

The Matterhorn is indeed a shy mountain, but well worth the trouble to see. When the clouds lift, it is breathtaking in its beauty, standing all alone, with that characteristic shape. I had seen it from afar several times, from other locations in the Valais, and even from an airplane (flight from Venice to London). but there is nothing quite like seeing it up close (but not too close, as I understand the rock is quite rotten and a bit dangerous!)

We spent 3 days there, hiking to various high meadows and viewpoints. My favorite view was by the Stellissee, where you can get a nice reflection of the mountain in the lake.
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 12:22 PM

I love the description of a "shy mountain."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -