Zermatt for the non skier?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a non skier visiting Zermatt for the first time this Jan. Would there be any other quick train trips to take for the day? I am debating to stay 9 nights or 2 weeks? Visiting boyfriend....
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:48 AM

Would you enjoy taking the cable cars with skiers, walking in the snow?

If you are staying that long, consider taking a ski lesson for the beginners. Ask about this possibility at the Zermatt tourist office. Zermatt is pretty much at the end of a mountaineous vallies and going out to anywhere take some time except maybe if you are going to another ski area (e.g.Saas Fee). Brig (30 min train ride back) has a nice old town I heard form a frined but wonder if January is an ideal time to visit. Then again, why not if you can find nothing else to do. Monetreux, Chillon castle is 2.5hr train ride back. The stone catsle in Witer will be very cold though. Or if you like a big city Milano is 4 hr train away with change at Brig. Leave Zermatt at 06.30 or so and you will be at Milano Centrale at 09:30.

You can get all the train schedule on the following.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm

Can you ask advice to your boyfriend ?
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your info, I will be alone during the day because my Boyfriend will be working a lot of the time, so I was hoping if anyone knows of any activity/trip besides skiing that would be possible in that area. I am open to going to Milan....would love to see more while in Europe. Thank you for all your advice.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 04:54 PM

9 nights might be a very very long time in Zermatt if you don't ski.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Please any advice on where else to go around Zermatt??
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 02:48 AM

Hi billandlily,

Well, Zermatt is pretty isolated in that little valley -- most journeys will be too long for a day-trip.

I second kappa's suggestion to see Montreux & Chillon; I would also add Vevey to that list.

I would also add Brig -- though it's so close to Zermatt, it might seem like it's the same. But it's actually quite different, a real town with terrific shopping, a delightful old town and castle, and great restaurants.

I'm not sure if the trip to Kandersteg would be too long, but that also might be worth a day-trip.

I would also check into the towns around the Aletsch glacier (Bettmeralp, Blatten, Riederalp) -- I've heard you can stand at the glacier and peer over into the Berner Oberland.

You can check these connections & schedules at www.rail.ch.

I wonder if you enjoy hiking? If so, you can stay busy for, well, years I think, hiking in the area. All hikes are well-marked, and you can probably find them in 2-hour to 6-hour increments; usually a lot of the trails are kept free of snow year-round. Inquire at the tourist office.

Have fun!

s
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 03:08 AM

Billyanddilly:

Kappa and weezie gave you great advice. I have only been to Zermatt once...but I am a skier!

Many non-skiers are in the town. Their are many trails, even in the snow, that you can follow. Some of the nicer resturants are in the Findehln area where you can walk/hike up to!
The nicer hotels have wonderful spas to help pass the time!

Try ski lessons! You might like it!
JOHN