Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Zell am See to Fussen by car in a day - best route and sights?

Old Sep 5th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving from Zell am See to Fussen. According to mapquest, the car ride should be about 3 to 3.5 hours. Can anyone suggest the best routes to travel? I think we would like to break up the ride along the way. Would it be practical to stop at the Linderhof Schloss for a visit en route?
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 07:13 PM

Any way you go is going to be beautiful but I'd take the route through Innsbruck and turn north in time to hit Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Now, my husband rolled his eyes when I told him I wanted to visit the Swarovski Crystal World but he enjoyed it as much as I did.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 07:20 PM

Just a friendly reminder; if you're picking up your car in Germany make sure you get a vignette.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Another site for route planning is www.viamichelin.com You can option the recommended route or sightseeing route. It gives expected road conditions, distance and driving time as well as the points of interest. We visited Linderhof as a day trip from Fussen in May. The grounds are lovely. It took longer to tour than we planned because we had to wait for our timed entry into the Schloss. Have a great trip, Deborah
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies. I had to google the meaning of a vignette and appreciate the advance notice.

As for the Linderhof, we want to visit it en route as we will be staying the next 2 nights in Fussen, leaving one full day in that town. We hope to see Hohenschwangau and Neuschwantstein in the first half of our full day and use the balance for the luge or bicycling around the Fordensee. I will try the viamichelin guide and continue checking for more information.
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 07:02 AM

woodstockguy, the best piece of advice I've ever read about Germany/Austria is to slow down. We always think we're going to get here and there “schnell” on the autobahn and then we remember why we love Germany and take the little roads.

Once, we went on the spur of the moment to Germany in Sept. Couldn't find rooms so we turned the car and went East to Thuringia and had an incredible trip. Harvest time is a popular time for Deutschlanders to travel and Octoberfest has become extremely popular with tourists.

I'm glad you googled it. People have written here about the consquences of not having one.

Enjoy your trip. Are you flying in/out of Munich?

On your way to the Berchtesgadenland will you be going to the Herrenchiemsee? Are you going to go to all of Ludwig's castles?
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

LSky - thanks for your comments. You remind me -- some years ago, I drove from Rothenburg to Heidelberg and took back roads through Franconia - what a great unexpected tour!

We are flying into Frankfurt, not Munich, because we got a great price on business class tickets. We intend to take the train to Munich on the day of arrival and pick up a car when we leave Munich.

As for the castles, I don't think we have time to see Herrenchiemsee, though I admit being interested in all of the castles, probably because of my long time interest in Wagner. But time always has to be allocated, and we want to visit both Salzburg and Zell am See during our trip.

Any suggestions are always welcome. And I hope to post a trip report at a later time!
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 04:19 PM

woodstockguy, one can't help but have a great time in Germany. I was just going to suggest that if you can't find lodgings in Fussen, you might find Herrenchiemsee, Berchtesgadenl and the lakes to be a great way to spend a vacation.

Hope you find a great place to stay.