Reload this Page >

Zeeland or Belgium?

Search

Zeeland or Belgium?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 10:13 AM
carol

Zeeland or Belgium?

We have 2 weeks in Holland and are wondering if anyone can tell us what would be the best place to visit - Zeeland (delta works) or somewhere in Belgium? We have a base in ROtterdam for 4 nights, and are hoping to go from there to see Gouda, Delft & Leiden. What are your opinions?

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 11:21 AM
phil

Carol: If you have two weeks, I suggest you add at least one or two day trips to Belgium. Suggestions: Antwerp and Brugge. Though the distances may seem substantial on a map, it's all highway at 80 mph door/door. Rotterdam-Antwerp for instance is only about an hour.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 11:42 AM
wes fowler

Carol,<BR>With two weeks, I think you have ample time to do both the Delta works and Belgium. Distances in the Low Countries are relatively short. While in Rotterdam, you might consider visiting Kinderdijk, as well. At Kinderdijk, which is no more than 15 miles from Rotterdam, you'll find 19 windmills of various type, all in working condition and one of which is open to display the typical home life of a miller. Well worth the visit and an interesting contrast to the extremely modern Delta works; both the works and Kinderdijk give insights in how the Dutch have successfully battled encroachment from the sea.<BR><BR>It would make sense when visiting Zeeland and the Delta works to continue to Vlissingen and then take the ferry to Breskens and drive on to Brugge for two or three nights. Brugge is a charming city still showing evidence of its immense wealth gleaned from the 14th to 16th centuries.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 11:43 AM
wes fowler

Carol,<BR>With two weeks, I think you have ample time to do both the Delta works and Belgium. Distances in the Low Countries are relatively short. While in Rotterdam, you might consider visiting Kinderdijk, as well. At Kinderdijk, which is no more than 15 miles from Rotterdam, you'll find 19 windmills of various type, all in working condition and one of which is open to display the typical home life of a miller. Well worth the visit and an interesting contrast to the extremely modern Delta works; both the works and Kinderdijk give insights in how the Dutch have successfully battled encroachment from the sea.<BR><BR>It would make sense when visiting Zeeland and the Delta works to continue to Vlissingen and then take the ferry to Breskens and drive on to Brugge for two or three nights. Brugge is a charming city still showing evidence of its immense wealth gleaned from the 14th to 16th centuries. If you'd like some detailed driving routes and more specific information regarding Brugge, drop me an Email.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 01:15 PM
carol

I should have mentioned that we are doing all our travelling by train/bus/bike/foot, and the rest of our trip is already booked with seeing other parts of Holland, so we really only have a full day to see either place. Please tell me what the attraction is is Brussel and Antwerpen. My friend/travelling compainion has been told that a visit to the Delta Works is a MUST - i would have thought it was more for the engineer minded type...am i wrong?

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 01:24 PM
carol

oops i meant...what is the attraction in Brugge and Antwerpen?

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Myriam

I don't think of the Delta Werken as a 'must see' in Zeeland, since I am not at all technically talented. Look at their website, this may help you decide: http://www.neeltjejans.nl. Apart from the Delta Werken there are so many lovely towns in Zeeland to visit. Middelburg, Zierikzee, Veere, het Veerse Meer, ... You could take your bike and see them all. <BR>Of course a few days in Belgium (Brugge and Antwerp) would be great as well. <BR>As Wes Fowler suggests, take the ferry in Vlissingen upto Breskens. This is only 39 km from Brugge. Stay in Brugge for a few days and train to Antwerp for another few days. The main attraction in both cities is the medieval character, the monuments, churches, squares, cobblestoned streets ... But also eating and drinking (the exuberant life) is very important for Belgian people. You can see that from the numerous little restaurants and caf&eacute;s.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 02:25 PM
phil

Carol: since you have to rely on train/bus/bike/foot and have only one day, I would suggest you keep it simple and take one of the hourly trains in Rotterdam (or Dordrecht) to Antwerp. It takes abt 1 hour. If available that day, take one that lands you in Antwerp's Central Station (not Berchem), a nice piece of architecture by itself. From there you walk straight past hundreds of boutiques, caf&eacute;s and restaurants to the Tourist Office (15 min), close to the Cathedral. Then you chose whatever you feel like that day. There are several museums with special interests (music, printing, shipping, painting,..) gorgeous churches, excellent restaurants for all budgets, all footsteps away. When you're done walk back to the station and wait for the next train. I think the last one is at 11:30 PM<BR>So you'll spend only two hours in a train, yet will have had a truly full day of varied Belgian experience. <BR><BR>

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Carol

thank you so much for your information...i think i'd rather see quaint towns than techincal engineered things...i will definately spend a day in Belgium - thanks to all of you!