Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Zagreb Layover -- (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/zagreb-layover-947895/)

rblcali Aug 23rd, 2012 08:21 PM

Zagreb Layover --

I posted this earlier as part of another set of questions, but didn't get much response for this. I have a 5 hour layover in Zagreb during the main part of the day and am wondering if there is anything do-able from the airport in this time frame? I am thinking 5 hours is too short a time to go fully into the city since we would need to get back to the airport an hour before our next flight. so maybe I would actually have about 4 hours of time to kill.

Thanks in advance!

Andrew Aug 23rd, 2012 09:02 PM

I spent a few days in Zagreb. I've also changed planes at the airport, but I didn't do that on the same visit. So I don't have a feel for the airport is from center of town or how easy it is to get there, but I don't think it's very far.

Still, Zagreb has a pleasant core with some interesting strolling: a huge town square, a market, and up on a hill above the town, the Upper Town has an interesting little museum of native art and some interesting buildings - worth a stroll. I'd probably take a taxi to/from the downtown. Two hours walking around the Upper Town would be enough including a half hour in the museum; grab some food and head back to the airport, maybe get in the taxi 2 hours before your flight is due to depart. (Assuming your flight is not an international flight.)

LittleVicky Aug 24th, 2012 12:54 AM

From the airport, the bus takes roughly 20 minutes into Zagreb bus station. From there you can take a 10 minute walk to the main square and pick up an information leaflet from the tourist office. Buy the city travel card which allows free travel on public transport and good discounts on museum entry. You will have time to see quite a bit of the city, tram #6 will take you back to the bus station.

Ackislander Aug 24th, 2012 03:06 AM

The areas between the airport and the center of the city are not attractive.

As Andrew says, the city has three parts that might be interesting to a short time visitor: the Old City (Stari Grad?) at the top of the hill, the market and shopping area below it, and the Austrian city near the railway station.

I would start at the top and work my way down. There is a funicular up there.

rblcali Aug 24th, 2012 07:28 AM

Great! thank so much for the information!

Subway_Scoundrel Sep 6th, 2012 10:37 AM

The bus will pick you up right out front. I forget how much but not bad. When the bus enters the station, it is on the left side of the station. There is a small lobby for the bus. Walk to the front of the station and you will see the trams. Take the trams that are going left in direction and it will take you direct to the main square. I think it is 4 or 5 stops. You can walk (about 15 to 20 mins) but I find when time is tight, I want to get to the central area quickly. At least you will know how to get back to the station by tram.

Find out how often the bus leaves but I think it is every hour. Just time it right. Customs is not bad but remember there are 2 sets of customs/check points. I got through the first and did not realize there was a 2nd. Not a big deal but plan your time. Might want to get some info on that central area and what you might want to see or shop. I was there in November and the central area that was a walking mall had the standard European Christmas booths.

The Zagreb tram system is great

Subway_Scoundrel Sep 6th, 2012 10:52 AM

Let me write the first paragraph over

The bus will pick you up right out front of the airport. I forget how much the trip is but not too bad. When the bus enters the bus station in Zagreb, it will park on the left side of the station. Walk through the small bus lobby and then walk out to the front of the station. You will see the trams running in front of the station. Walk accross the street and take Tram 6 that is going left in direction.

I think it is 4 or 5 stops until main stop. You can walk (about 15 to 20 mins) but I find when time is tight, I want to get to the central area quickly. At least you will know how to get back to the station by tram. Many more trams run back past the central bus station