Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Zadopaine - worth visiting ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/zadopaine-worth-visiting-97319/)

Simon Dec 23rd, 2000 11:56 AM

Zadopaine - worth visiting ?

Is it worth spending a night in Zadopaine, or should I limit myself to Cracow & Warsaw ? I am visiting for 9 nights in mid-March.

lola Dec 23rd, 2000 07:39 PM

Do you mean Zakopane in the mountains. If so, I'd say yes--it's a beautiful area and very different from the other two. You have plenty of time.

bob Dec 24th, 2000 12:30 PM

I agree. Zakopane was wonderful! Very scenic and un-stressfull. Make sure you take the cable car up into the mountains to the ski slopes. If my memory serves me right, its right on the border of Slovakia.

Peter Dec 25th, 2000 12:01 AM

Limit your days in Warsaw there is more to see in Cracow (Krakow) area. In Warsaw check "old" city as well as Wilanow and Lazienki Palace. Cracow is really nice as well as the area - Zakopane is a must see (and yes it's very close to Slovakian border. Wieliczka salt mines are also cool where there are bautifull palace type rooms done all in salt - including scultpures. Also place is considered a spa with some healing properties. As for Cracow it's just too much to list - but definitly Wawel (which may take more than just 1 day) and all of the old city. Zakopane is a really nice and cool place surrounded by the Tatry mountains. "Zakopane" in Polish means buried - and it's really true - since this is one of the places it snows first and when it snows it get's buried in snow so no one can reach it or leave it. In Zakopane there is a main street called "Krupowki" street - full of restaurants pubs etc. Behind Hotel Gazda (located at the begining of "Krupowki") there is a cool flea market with really good bargains Try their local smoked goat cheese called "oscypki" - Enjoy - you will have fun.

Linda Dec 25th, 2000 03:52 PM

Zakopane is a nice little town with really good shops & bargains of nice quality. We ate at the Orbis Hotel restaurant and the food was excellent. Krakow was great & the side trips to Auschwitz and the Salt Mines interesting. People tell me that Warsaw is not that great. If there had been more time, we were going to Gdansk or one of several others before Warsaw.

Peter Dec 26th, 2000 10:12 AM

Linda: Orbis Hotel food is OK - but in Zakopane to eat at Orbis is like going to TacoBell in Mexico. Next time try "Zbyrcok" restaurant on "Krupowki" street - on left about 300m from Gazda Hotel and Orbis Giewont Hotel. You will be eating to Life Gypsy music great regional food that rocks and probably cheaper or same than at orbis (they also except credit cards) and may need to reserve durring busy season.

Simon Dec 28th, 2000 10:45 PM

thank you everyone. I have now changed my plans in view of your feedback, and will saty a night in Zakopane. Cheers !