ZACH'S BIRTHDAY IN THE CINQUE TERRE

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZACH'S BIRTHDAY IN THE CINQUE TERRE

Thank you to everyone who has helped with suggestions for Zach and Trevor's trip. The last bit of advice I need is a suggestion on a nice resturant in the Cinque Terre. Zach will be there on his 19th birthday. Does anyone have a name of a resturant they can get a good meal?
Thanks,
Zach's Mom
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 05:29 PM

Aawww Zachs Mom, I hope he has a wonderful time and that you do not miss him too much

What good stories he will have to tell~
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett,
I know he is really looking forward to the trip now that it is just less then 2 weeks away. Thanks for your help.
Gail
Zach's Mom
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:26 AM

Stormyhd -
I was just on the Italian Riviera - unfortunately, only got as far as Sestri Levante. However - from my notes I culled these places from various sources - hope it helps.

Vernazza - Gianni Franzi - by the water, seafood + pasta.
Vernazza - Gambero Rosso, Piazza Marconi 7 - closed mondays - on main square, facing church - known for its dessert wine.
Vernazza - Pirate Tavern
Cornelgia - Osteria a Cantina de Mananan - make reservations in advance, highly recommended
Levanto - Osteria Tumelin
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:58 AM

I was in Monterosso last week and none of the standard restaurants we ate in stand-out for me. What about instead of a birthday dinner celebrating with a hike and lunch? We did a hiking trip with an American living in CT. It included hiking 4 of the 5 towns, lunch, drinking wine and liquers in a local enotecca, and visiting an Italian lady who makes wine in her basement "I Love Lucy Style". I was traveling with my 19 year old nephew and he enjoyed the day. Let me know if you would like more information.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Gail: I have a couple favorites in the CT to suggest for Zach's big day.....

Riomaggiore:

Ripa del Sole (high on the bluff, overlooking the ocean) a bit pricey but very special. Have Zach tell them it is his "compleanno" (birthday) and I am sure they will have a special dessert or torta (cake) for him.

La Grotta (at base of town, on R side after you have come out of the tunnel from the train station) features Ligurian specialties: fresh seafood, grilled platters, pesto pasta dishes, etc at reasonable prices.

Manarola:

Il Porticello - delicious food at reasonable prices. Specialties include grilled fish platters (Frutti di mare mista), seafood salads, risotto, etc. It is located near harborfront, on R side if walking towards the water.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

As usual my Fodor friends have come thru for Zach. I will give Zach the information on the resturants.
Jackie---could you send along the information you mentioned.
Gail
Zach's Mom
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 02:41 PM

The email address for the hike is [email protected]. The price is either 45 or 50 euros per person. He also does boat trips, but the weather was too cool when we were there for boats. I have some digital pictures of our day with Sean that I can share with you if you give me your email address.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Jackie,
My email is [email protected].
Thanks for sending the pictures.
Gail
Zach's Mom